CrossLoad concerns

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Walldiver7

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2013
Messages
516
Reaction score
7
I'm loading an AT M1500 into a 4 grain CTI Pro75 case.

1. The CTI forward closure does not sit flat on the AT seal disk because of a ridge formed on the face of this disk. With the addition of the o-ring that will sit on top of the seal disk (if I follow Aerotech's directions), that leaves a space of about 3/16" when the forward CTI closure is placed on top of the disk in the case. Because of this gap, the smoke grain and insulator can/will slide aft upon launch. Is this a problem? Maybe I should put a couple of stray O-rings on top of the smoke grain to keep it in contact with the seal disk?

2. The assembled AT reload slides.... no, let me restate that.., FALLS into the CTI case. There is enough slop in the fit that the reload "rattles" inside the case.

Comments on these two issues are MOST welcome. Thanks!
 

dixontj93060

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2009
Messages
13,083
Reaction score
25
On the first point it sounds like you haven't installed the 75mm seal disk O-ring.
 
Last edited:

Walldiver7

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2013
Messages
516
Reaction score
7
Have you watched this video by AT?

https://youtu.be/d0xjmJ-Yur8
I saw this some time ago and am glad you posted the reminder. According to the video, I had the last o-ring in the wrong place. According the included AT directions with the reload, I had in the right place. I'll go with the video because that limits the gap to the height of the ridge on the seal disk. Thanks!
 

timbucktoo

Well-Known Member
Staff member
TRF Supporter
Global Mod
Joined
Jun 13, 2014
Messages
8,706
Reaction score
1,531
Location
Cocoa Beach
I built mine per video instructions and had no problems with fit. Only thing I had to do was peel the glassine layer off grains to get them to fit in liner.
 

Walldiver7

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2013
Messages
516
Reaction score
7
I built mine per video instructions and had no problems with fit. Only thing I had to do was peel the glassine layer off grains to get them to fit in liner.
Yes, I had to peel the first layer off each grain too. I wouldn't have never gotten them in, with the glue on them, had I not done this. The loose fit of the case still bothers me, but ... there's only one way to tell if the tolerances are too much: "just hit the button, man.... ".
 
Top