Crossfire ISX

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

regent

Reaction score
Just finishing up a Crossfire I started about 7-8 years ago. I will say I hate sticker decals but after reading "The Rocket N00b's" blog on using a masking tape hinge, just pure genius. The hinge allows you to really be accurate in placement. Also you have to cut down the stickers to eliminate all of the excess overhang. The logitech box was just pure coincidence.crossfire.jpg

Nice job, that's a great looking rocket. I also recently finished my first Crossfire. I usually follow the facecard paint scheme, but I wasn't a fan of the red. I plan on building another and going with a colored body and black nosecone like yours, as I think it looks really good. Enjoy flying it!

Attachments

• 20200430_114112.jpg
    20200430_114112.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 34
Thanks man, most of my spray paint went bad so I'm having to buy new paint and was limited on colors. Walmart was out of white gloss.

Woo! Crossfire!

I still have 2/4 of the Crossfires I've built.

Goldfinger II below

img_20161113_222630501-jpg.305298

Those are some nice Crossfires. That nose cone/nozzle has been used on some pretty classic kits over the years. A couple that I can think of, there may be others:
Satellite Interceptor
Stiletto

Knock the chute (spill hole) if you fly it on a C and want to get it back!

Nice rockets, gents!

Crossfire was the first rocket that my kid built, all by himself.
It didn't look as nice as yours, flew great, and met an unfortunate end when the ejection charge failed to go off after a dozen+ flights. The nose cone survived, I just need to find it, and rebuilt it!

a

Just finishing up a Crossfire I started about 7-8 years ago. I will say I hate sticker decals but after reading "The Rocket N00b's" blog on using a masking tape hinge, just pure genius. The hinge allows you to really be accurate in placement. Also you have to cut down the stickers to eliminate all of the excess overhang. The logitech box was just pure coincidence.View attachment 414449
Please tell me......about the "blue" andf/or "Teal" paint?

Please tell me......about the "blue" andf/or "Teal" paint?
Just liked it when I was buying some new paint... I usually dont paint them like the card, I might use some of the colors or I might not. I have a Goblin just about finished up and its not yellow and black.

Great, I meant what color is it...Brand of Paint, Color, any stock No of the paint. You stated Wallmart?

Last edited:
I have a similar paint (Tamiya Coral Blue, TS-41).

Regent: We have a Crossfire under construction, and when my son saw yours, he wanted it in that color. Thanks for the picture. :)

Rust-Oleum Stops Rust Gloss Protective Enamel Light Turquoise Spray Paint

I dont have it in front of me but I did get it at walmart, I think this is the one.

Weird question for another build, but do you think the nozzle at the bottom of the rocket is actually less aerodynamic? I have the nose cone for a scratch build, and I am not sure if I want to put the bottom part on.

but do you think the nozzle at the bottom of the rocket is actually less aerodynamic

Maybe a tad. The airflow will disjoint a little around the weird geometry and give a little extra drag. Conversely, it may increase stability too lol (just like a boattail reduces stability a bit)

That being said, I think the nozzle looks cool, and if you've got that nozzle, that means you have an 18mm motor in a 24mm body, so it's already not a performance rocket

Weird question for another build, but do you think the nozzle at the bottom of the rocket is actually less aerodynamic? I have the nose cone for a scratch build, and I am not sure if I want to put the bottom part on.

Yes, but not that much. The outer diameter is the same as the body tube, so it does not increase the frontal area at all, which is one of the largest contributions to drag. Most of the nozzle will be in the wake of the body tube. The drag increment is there, but probably a small percentage of the total.

That actually would be a neat sci-fair project to study the effect on max alt for various tube ends: like a nozzle, straight, or a boat tail. I imagine if you put an altimeter in there and launched on a C motor, one with the nozzle and one without, you would lose both of them.

Last edited:
Back