Crossfire ISX Paint In Progress

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nose Cone Color

• Keep it that sick glossy red!

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Satin black! It'll tie in with the finished fins!

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

katinthebox

Reaction score
I am so pleased with how this is turning out!
Next step is mask off the body & the fin stabilizers and paint the main portion of the fins a nice satin black.
I'm stumped on the nose cone, though. It's going to be a few days until I paint it... Any thoughts on matching it to the body versus painting it black to match what I'm going to do with the fins?Screenshot_20210502-151128~2.png

Screenshot_20210502-151326~2.png

Here's a poorly applied edit on my phone to show the final paint job I'm envisioning
Screenshot_20210502-174925~2.png

Screenshot_20210605-224718~2.png
Coming along really nicely! Still gotta paint the nosecone, but the fins look 😘👌

looks great! you could mask off the nozzle and paint that black to match the nose and fins, maybe?

looks great! you could mask off the nozzle and paint that black to match the nose and fins, maybe?
I was thinking about that, but also dreading the fight with the tape that would ensue. I'll take another look at it when I get home and see how I feel. Not going to have another shot at painting until at least Sunday, so I've got plenty of time to ruminate on it if nothing else!

Looks great.

you may find a black sharpie can color your nozzle, with minimal masking
I'm a bit worried the glossiness of the red would lead to the sharpie removing itself on repeated passes of the same place. I'll probably give just painting it a go and throw a bit of clear coat on before I do the black.

I'm a bit worried the glossiness of the red would lead to the sharpie removing itself on repeated passes of the same place. I'll probably give just painting it a go and throw a bit of clear coat on before I do the black.
Good point. Always good to try new stuff on scraps

you can do a light coat of clear or red after taping off the nozzle to help seal the tape lines, then do the black to avoid bleed through.

you can do a light coat of clear or red after taping off the nozzle to help seal the tape lines, then do the black to avoid bleed through.
Planning on it. I'm going to go with a spritz of clear coat since I'm less concerned with any chance of that blending with the black. Black + off-primary red (pigment) can make a really lovely, rich brown, but I don't want it on my rocket!

Screenshot_20210616-202842~2.png
Looking really good! (sidenote- that small smudge on the nosecone is just some dust!) Cleaning up the edges and clear coating tomorrow evening!

The clear spray can make Sharpies run but Plegde Floor Gloss doesn’t.
No sharpies here. Frankly, I think making the nozzle black will break the whole thing up too much... and as it stands, if I change my mind, I can always change the red paint job, but it won't work the other way around.
Cross your fingers for me no gnats land in my clear coat tomorrow!

Back