Crossbow SST Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawkweber

Reaction score
This was my second rocket build. After doing my first "Photon Probe" I discovered that I wasn't happy with the wood grain on the balsa fins. This model was done to hone my skills on filling the balsa and getting a smooth finish as well as really nice/smooth fin fillets (where the fins meet the body). Also working on my airbrushing skills. This was a Level 2 build. In the process of working on Level 3 build (Estes Lynx) to further hone skills before tackling the larger Mercury Redstone rocket and then on to 50th Anniversary Saturn V.

Here is my first use of CWF to fill the balsa and sanded.
Crossbow_filled.jpg
Primed.
Crossbow_primed.jpg
Sanded.
Crossbow_sanded.jpg
Noticed spots that needed more filling as well as the tube spirals.
Crossbow_2nd_filling.jpg

"Lasers" added.
Crossbow_guns.jpg
First fillet added to front side fin.Crossbow_first_fillet.jpg
Final priming.Crossbow_final_prime.jpg

Close-up of primed fillets. (Pretty happy with how they came out).Crossbow_primed_fillet.jpg
Painted (airbrushed) with gloss white.
Crossbow_painted.jpg

Great work!

Curious on your decision to fillet/glue after priming

Not sure exactly what you mean about "after priming". Or are you referring to the close-up picture of the fillet after full priming? That photo is just showing how smooth the fillet work was, not that I did the fillet then.

Very clean work for a second build, impressive!

Thank you! I used to do plastic models and balsa planes eons ago. So, once I got into doing rockets I wanted to not only fly them but also do them as builder's kits - something that would look nice on a shelf as well. Yeah, it would totally suck if there is a cato, but I would just curse a little bit (ok, maybe a lot), and then move on. :)

Yeah, it would totally suck if there is a cato, but I would just curse a little bit (ok, maybe a lot), and then move on. :)
If you would only curse a little than you're a better man than I. Of course, I haven't had a destructive CATO yet... (YEAH I SAID IT COME AT ME ROCKET GODS)

Latest posts

Back