Crosman 1377 pump pistol

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnie

Reaction score
I am getting a "Red Ryder" for son at Christmas, and I was wanting to get a shooter for myself so we can pal around together. I hope to teach him safety and good rifle skills.

So my question is; I had one of these Crosman 1377's years ago, and my mother made me get rid of it. I see it is still available, so can anyone recomend this pellet pistol or should I keep on looking?

From what I remember, it was quite powerful after 10 good pumps.

My reason for asking is that I am having trouble finding one localy and I would be forced to order one in order to get it. I would be very disapointed if I got it and it did not live up th the internet hype, or my memory I have of the one I had to give up so long ago.

Does anyone have one of these pellet pistols?

looking for a pistol or a rifle? reason i ask is

"i hope to teach him...good rifle skills"

if we're talking pistols, and solely pellet pistols, i'd go CO2, its a lot more fun, and marginally more expensive. the little CO2's can be bought in 25 packs for 10-15 bucks at wally world. for a pistol i would recommend a gamo pt-80 or pt90, there are a ton of options for them, lasers, flashlights, etc...they are CO2 powered, they chrono at 410fps, rifled barrel, and 8rnd revolving mag. its really a sweet gun. i've never had any problems with mine. i shy away from pumps just because it takes so long to be shot ready.
if we're talking about rifles, im going to recommend another gamo. the shadow 1000. it can be had at wal mart for around 100-120. (oh, BTW, the gamo pt80 isnt available at wal-mart to my kinowledge, you'd have to order it or go to a specialty outdoors store, and it costs from 59.99-79.99) but the shadow 1000 shoots 1000fps with one cock of the barrel, its a single shot, but its only one pump of the barrel per shot, so its really good like that, and out to 30 yards it gets within a couple inch groups. just a thought, and my bias to gamo. :D

I don't know what all your considerations are in your selection, but if there is an equal 'choice' between a rifle and a pistol for your own use, I would go with the rifle.
The extra barrel length will give you a little more velocity, and a little more effective length for aiming more accurately.
The main reason, though, is that a pellet ****pistol**** in the house may be an invitation for a child to try to sneak it out of the house when Dad is not looking. Kids like to show off to their friends, and some will innocently take an item like this to school (even today, after all the lectures and warnings). I doubt that you would have this potential problem with your kids, but you could eliminate the risk entirely?
I am just offering a thought, take it for what it's worth-

The 1377 pistol is for me, the Red "you'll shoot your eye out" Ryder is for my son. I can't bring myself to play with Co2, not my bag I guess. I noticed that for Co2, they have some if not all of the coolest looking pistols available...but the Crosman 1377 is nice for 600 ft. a second, and as I remember it, it was quite accurate.

Anyways, they had one on Amazon.com for $49.99, so I ordered one, it should be here in another week.

I spent my whole lunch hour at "Wally World" looking at the Beeman 1783, and I nearly got it. But the Crosman pistol I had to give up so long ago kept calling me back. 600 ft. a second with some wad cutter, or hollow point pellets should be quite powerful.

I saw the Gamo Shadow 1000...I also saw the Daisy version that comes with a scope for $94...and when I turned to my right, there was a .22 rifle for $99...If I going to spend that much on a small rifle, I would get the .22.

n the house may be an invitation for a child to try to sneak it out of the house when Dad is not looking.

Powder,

good point, one of the stipulations my wife asked for, was that I get trigger locks for safety...600 ft a second will put your brain out.

why no CO2?:( CO2 is good stuff. the pt-80 is a really accurate gun, and i like it. plus, it takes chipmunks like a champ. squirells are a different story. i've pumped 5 shots in a squirell before it finally stopped.

The biggest dissapointment for me, when I bought a pellet rifle a few years ago, was how much plastic is used in them now. When I was younger, I had a Daisy pump rifle. The pump arm, breech assembly, ect, were all metal, and very solid. That same rifle today, is mostly plastic and cheap feeling. I bought it anyway though, and it's great for plinking cans in the back yard, and running off varmits.

yeah, its sad, but unless you want a TOP dollar pellet gun, you aint getting metal components. plastic frames...etc...the airsoft guns are the ones coming out with the real metal frames and firing mechanisms. i bought my mac-11 airsoft gun for 180 bucks, but its all metal. plus, it fires 30BB's in a second...so thats cool too. lol. but you have to PAY for the quality. it doesnt come standard anymore. unfortunately.

I keep one in the garage ,, it's an old 880 powermaster rifle... I knocked a woodpecker off the front of the house with it last weekend.. I wouldn't mind having one of the pistols to play with.

Here is a pic, that is commonly found on the internet, I managed to copy this one from Amazon, so I will give them the credit :D

It just seems to have that Clint Eastwood appeal BIG HANDGUN!

I have a Gamo P23 and have been real happy with it. It does have some plastic to it, but still has a solid feel. Took about 10 minutes to site in and hasn't drifted yet. CO2, 410fps and for those 007 types, you can get the optional laser site.

p23_2.jpg
p23_1.jpg

Question for the Co2 users:

How many shots will you get from one charge?

I'm a Hybrid rocket flier, and I know the the nature of a hybrids tank is at peek performance when full of nitrous, but performance trails off as it empties out. Is this the same for the little Co2 charges? Will you get 410 fps at the end of the charge, or will the pellet basically fall out of the barrell at the end?

Nice looking P-23 by the way...

Most guns of any quality are 'metered'---that is, the amount of gas released for each shot is measured out by a little pressure gauge. This way they are ballistically consistent for a bunch of shots (50? 100?) before performance falls way off on the last few.

my pt80 will get 20 really good powered shots that would take a varmant from 10yds. after that though, they gradually tail off. they keep the line, but they begin to arc in trajectory, so you have to gradually aim higher and higher. BUT, if it takes you 20 shots to kill a squirell, you're not a very good shot. lol. plus, with the 8rnd clip, i can shoot 8rnds in a VERY short period of time. gamo makes a really nice gun. IMO, one of the best ones on the market for air guns. and an extremely accurate pistol.

Originally posted by Johnnierkt
Here is a pic, that is commonly found on the internet, I managed to copy this one from Amazon, so I will give them the credit :D

It just seems to have that Clint Eastwood appeal BIG HANDGUN!

Johnnyrocket:
I have a crosman 1377, it's a wondful pellet pistol. I enjoy shooting it almost as much as my 5mm Sheridan Blue streak rifle, both are very accurate with high muzzle vol.
Oh i'm sorry, I don't have any firearms I live in DC... My mistake;) ....

PS: Rearly have I needed more the 5 pumps for targets in the 30-40yd range. 1377 is a very nice plunk pistol. and ya don't need no stinkin CO2:D

HAH, thats what you think. we should have a TRF target shoot. lol. ask doug about how good a shot i am. from 20ft with his new .45 i nailed it to the ten ringer. sweeeet. i'd school that 1377. lol. the only thing i dont like about the pump ones is the pump!! lol. pump it 10 times to shoot, comeon, i can shoot 2 clips in the time it takes you to pump ten times, you know? i had a pump rifle, and thats the only reason i got rid of it, is because it takes way too long to shoot. hit a squirell with it and it doesnt die, there are no 2nd shots. but for target, they are pretty good guns. just a hassle IMO.

Micro,

You confirmed what I remember of the 1377, it was very accurate. I could give mine 5 or 9 or 10 pumps, and it would knock the heck out of some cans at 35, 40 or 50 yards.

r1dermon,

As for rapid fire Co2, well, I'm not planning on getting in a fire fight, so single shot and pumping are good by me. I can out shoot you while your out driving around trying to go get more charges... :D

Seriously though, $49.99 for a pellet pistol that is as near as accurate as a pellet rifle and can shoot as fast as a .45 is good enough for me...Amazon just sent me an email, it is on it's way.! Woohoo.

I found a site that sells wood grips for the 1377...the cost for the grips is as much as the pistol. I'll pass.

I also found a site for a machinest that states that he has converted a 1377 to a .22...wicked :D

i'll grab 2 cases of 12 gram CO2's and shoot so many times that by the time you catch up, your barrel would be smooth, or your gun would be broken!!! muhahahahaha. lol, j/k, have fun with your pistol. you HAVE to post some groupings on a sillouette though. i'll do it with mine if you post some of yours.!!

oh boy, you're a real comedian....

good gun to check out....crossman 1077. ahh, the power of co2. plus, you can get an adapter to take paintball sized co2 canisters. THAT should last quite a while.

oh boy, you're a real comedian....

"10,000 comedians outa work and I'm tryin to be a funny..."

I remeber years ago that some of the comic books I was reading (HEAVY METAL) had adds for a Larc BB-gun that ran on R12 freon. It would shoot 3,000 BB rounds a minute. :eek:

The AD caption would read: "No kidding, pepper the neighbors cat across the street..."

This was a real machine gun that fired bb's. Of course we all know that R12 Freon is an ozone killer, and is no longer available.

And do you know what it *costs* for a package of a couple thousand BBs? (if you ever get invited to go to a range and shoot someone's fully automatic firearm, bring lots of $$$$)

If you can't hit it with one pellet, you probably can't do much better with a jillion.

i actually just hit up manchester firing range for the second time this week tonight. the guy in the lane next to me had a full auto mp-5. sick. i guess he was a class 3 because i didnt see any of the rentals off the wall, plus he had like 6 mags for it. anyway, i've rented UMP-45's before and racked up 200 dollars in under 20 minutes with my cousin. crazy. it takes like 8 minutes to load the mag, but it takes like 2 seconds to empty it. lol.

The attachment shows my 'plinker'
I got this for about $65 from an outfit in Florida 3-4 years ago, you can probably still find them through the internet. It is a Russian design by a company called Baikal (same as the giant lake), model IZH-61.
The quality of pellet makes a huge difference in performance. When using H&N Match ammo I can get pretty good ballistics. When using some cheapo Chinese pellets I picked up for $1 per tin . . .
The low-power glass optics are a touch that I added (I had to remove the rear peep). I wish I could get that big 'ol chunk of hooded post off the muzzle, but there is no pin, no screw, no obvious means to loosen and remove (I think it was press-fit into place)
This is a single-cock, spring-piston rifle. It has moderate noise and little felt recoil, and a *very* light and crisp trigger. It's fun to plink with.

powderburner,

That is a sweet rifle. Air-rifles & pistols have come along way in recent years...and yes, so have the Co2 pistols & rifles. Kinda like water rockets; at one time they were a novelty, now it is a science. :)

I'm a sharpshooter with a rifle, so I guess that is why I opted for a long pistol.

...$200 in 20 minutes...seems it would be cheaper to buy the .45, I don't know, I have never rented a pistol or rifle before. But 3-trips at $200, and you could just about own your own handgun.

yeah, one would think. this was an UMP45 fully automatic .45 tactical SMG. good stuff. i live in MA, i can't get a pistol right now because im not old enough, i'd have to be 21, right now im 19 1/2, so all i have now is my FID. and that cost me 200 bucks. lol. so for the amount it would cost me for the RIGHT to have a gun in my state, i went and shot off close to 500 rounds. lol. its rediculous here in MA. i need an FID card for a slingshot!!! a slingshot!!! pepper spray too, pretty stupid.

Originally posted by r1dermon
yeah, one would think. this was an UMP45 fully automatic .45 tactical SMG. good stuff. i live in MA, i can't get a pistol right now because im not old enough, i'd have to be 21, right now im 19 1/2, so all i have now is my FID. and that cost me 200 bucks. lol. so for the amount it would cost me for the RIGHT to have a gun in my state, i went and shot off close to 500 rounds. lol. its rediculous here in MA. i need an FID card for a slingshot!!! a slingshot!!! pepper spray too, pretty stupid.

Well Try living in Washington DC! We're not allow to own a Slingshot, BB gun, Bow or any other weapon. Funny how many do, but some dang fool "Marion Berry" decided John Q public didn't need to protect there home, family or property.. So we have the strictest, stupidest, and most USELESS gun laws in the country.
So be very happy you can purchase and fire those things that you want once you reach the magic age of 21;)

micro, isnt it also ironic that 50% of youth individuals between the ages of (if i recall correctly) 16-24 are incarcerated!!! heh. oh, DC also has one of the highest crime rates in the country. its pretty crazy. im not going to make this political, its just ironic, the banning of guns actually leads to higher crime rates.

Micromeister,
Would they arrest you for owning some gravel? (ammo for slingshots)
What about a Nerf gun? (hey, it fits the definition of your laws!)
Would they arrest you for owning an atlatl? (would they even know what it is?)

Back