Cricut on Sale at Staples

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to the Staples site and don't see it. Also, which model cutter is supposed to be 25% off?

I got an email... maybe it's only for Staples "club" members. It was the Explore Air 2 and the Joy.

Silhouette had one also. Mostly for accessories and parts but prices were really good (up to 70% off on some items).

Correction, sale is still active on silhouette. Some items sold out but majority still available...

I'm mildly interested in these cutting machines, but once again I couldn't decide between the Cricut and the Silhouette. They both seem to have plusses and minuses that make it too close to call. If I had to choose right now, I'd go with the Silhouette Cameo 4 due to the higher cutting force and the ability to use third-party software more easily.

I'm mildly interested in these cutting machines, but once again I couldn't decide between the Cricut and the Silhouette. They both seem to have plusses and minuses that make it too close to call.

I was looking at used Cricuts but decided to get a CNC instead (I think for similar or slightly more money it will wind up being more flexible although I have not purchased the knife cutter attachment and still very new to the whole thing).

I was looking at used Cricuts but decided to get a CNC instead (I think for similar or slightly more money it will wind up being more flexible although I have not purchased the knife cutter attachment and still very new to the whole thing).
CNC machines won't work well with flexible materials (cloth, vinyl) or soft ones (paper, balsa). So I don't see this as either/or, but different types of machines for different materials.

I did get a drag knife for my CNC router, but didn't have much luck when I tried to cut a custom gasket.

I can't speak to the Cricut but I have the Silhouette and it works very well for cutting labels and vinyl graphics. Their software lets you import DXF which I find very useful.

Randy

thanks BigMacDadd! i did not know about scamdoc.com
I don't know that it is the best site but there are a bunch of sites that rate how likely a site is to be a scam. So many of these are advertised on Facebook -- they should be held accountable if they let this illegitimate sites rip off their customers...

Michaels has the Cricut Explore Air 2 for 150. I bought one the other day and already did my first decals :D. The atom fin decals are about as small as it will cut for intricate decals like those.

Attachments

• 02D15D3A-36CB-4349-A227-E6F7CD97A641.jpeg
    02D15D3A-36CB-4349-A227-E6F7CD97A641.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 29
I recently picked up an Explore Air 2 directly from cricut as they were clearing them out. Bought a cheap pack of vinyl and transfer paper from Amazon to go with it. Have been cutting a few things as a test and boy is it easy to use. Going to start designing stuff to cover some naked rockets. It's a super neat tool.

Wife has the Cricut Maker Pro, has cut many decals for me. She even did the rivets for the Mercury Redstone. They were .060 dia. Cut thousands of them for me. She was not happy, so I had to buy her a new car :)

I was considering a Cricut a year or two ago (maybe 5. . . darn COVID time. . . ) and I read that you either had to subscribe or at least be online to use it.

Based on the recent low price discussion, I googled a bit to see if that is correct, but I didn't find an obvious answer.

If any Cricut owners could either dumb it down for me or tell me a good search term to learn myself, I'd appreciate it. My base question is "If I buy it for $150, can I use my own software, never connected to the internet, to create and 'print' whatever I want?"

Feel free to flame me or post a ton of links to the same question if I just butchered my google search. . .

Sandy.

I was considering a Cricut a year or two ago (maybe 5. . . darn COVID time. . . ) and I read that you either had to subscribe or at least be online to use it.

Based on the recent low price discussion, I googled a bit to see if that is correct, but I didn't find an obvious answer.

If any Cricut owners could either dumb it down for me or tell me a good search term to learn myself, I'd appreciate it. My base question is "If I buy it for $150, can I use my own software, never connected to the internet, to create and 'print' whatever I want?"

Feel free to flame me or post a ton of links to the same question if I just butchered my google search. . .

Sandy.
Doesn’t need any subscription to use. They have sort of a subscription for a larger variety of stock decals but you can google decals and upload them, remove the background, and use them just fine but no you don’t need one to use the Design Space software. It’s pretty easy to use too.

Doesn’t need any subscription to use. They have sort of a subscription for a larger variety of stock decals but you can google decals and upload them, remove the background, and use them just fine but no you don’t need one to use the Design Space software. It’s pretty easy to use too.

Thanks for the reply. Sometime when google doesn't help you to a logical answer, you're asking a really dumb question and a person with real experience can steer you the right way. Much appreciated! I'll give one a try!

Sandy.

I read that you either had to subscribe or at least be online to use it.

You'll need an internet connection to run Design Space, upload files and save projects. You can save projects locally in addition to online, but I'm not sure you can do a local-only save. You may be able to work offline without saving, we're too new at it to have tried that. The Cricut connects to computer/phone/tablet via USB or Bluetooth for instructions.

I installed Design Space on 3 desktop machines (Win 10 & 7) so 3 of us could edit projects at our own desks. When done, we save the project and go pull it up from the computer that's USB-connected to the Cricut.

You'll need an internet connection to run Design Space, upload files and save projects. You can save projects locally in addition to online, but I'm not sure you can do a local-only save. You may be able to work offline without saving, we're too new at it to have tried that. The Cricut connects to computer/phone/tablet via USB or Bluetooth for instructions.

I installed Design Space on 3 desktop machines (Win 10 & 7) so 3 of us could edit projects at our own desks. When done, we save the project and go pull it up from the computer that's USB-connected to the Cricut.

Hmm. That's where I guess I'm asking the wrong question. If I buy a device, I want it to work the same on day 1 as on day 1111. My laser is USB connected and if I can run a job on day 1, there is nothing the laser company can do to change that. I got the impression that Cricut was making it such that you had to have the internet involved (and therefore when they chose to change the rules and update the firmware) you might not be able to run the equipment you purchased in the way it ran when you bought it. I'm 100% fine with air-gapping equipment and running it on the same bug-infested software I bought it on, but I don't rent, lease, subscribe to anything unless I have zero choice otherwise. Sounded to me like Cricut did a bait and switch (like Autodesk did) and I will avoid that for sure if I can.

To be clear, not saying that is the case, but it is an unanswered question from the searches I have done. Some say 'no problem' others say 'stay away'. I'm just not clear which group is right. . .

Sandy.

Back