credit card material for fins?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a credit card that has metal sandwiched between two plastic layers. It makes the card stiffer and feels more solid in your hand. I was wondering about that material's usefulness for fins. Does anyone know anything more about the material? For instance, does anyone know where you can get just a blank sheet of it maybe 1'x1'?

Sorry, I don't, but I had to respond with something you need to consider. It sounds to me like this would constitute metal structural parts, since you're counting on that metal sandwich for stiffness, which are prohibited by the safety code for LP. Or rather, they make any rocket officially HP no matter what motor is in it. I see that you're certified, so maybe it's not a problem. Just be prepared for "discussions" with RSOs.

yeah, I started realizing this after I posted. that material would probably be even more dangerous than regular thin fiberglass which, when used for a fin, is like a flying knife in its own right.

Metal aside, really thin plastic like that I would think would be more susceptible to fin flutter - maybe? Plus it seems it would be sort of a PITA to glue to a body tube over other materials like birch ply, balsa, fiberglass, etc...

I have a credit card that has metal sandwiched between two plastic layers. It makes the card stiffer and feels more solid in your hand. I was wondering about that material's usefulness for fins. Does anyone know anything more about the material? For instance, does anyone know where you can get just a blank sheet of it maybe 1'x1'?

Not sure what material your fins are made of, but I've seen builders use thin sheets of ply or basswood and sandwich a piece of balsa for weight and strength.

Back