Creative Block

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lipp

Reaction score
I got the designers special to round out some loose ends and BLAM!!!!!! creative block... :kill: any help is welcome!!!

If you've got kids, ask them to draw a shape with 4 sides. Voila! Instant fins. If you've got 2 kids, make 2 fins out of 1 shape, 2 fins out of the other, and place them opposite each other.

Then take 2 of the tubes, (make sure you've got a nose cone for one of them), make some centering rings for a motor mount, and centering rings/transition for a shroud, and you're in business!

WW

Well, first you need to address what you'd like to accomplish with
this build- Do you want to attempt some new construction or finishing
techniques? Do you want to try some (new to you) recovery method?
How about staging or clustering? Or maybe just build and fly! Do you
want something BIG or smaller?

Then, you might want to consider where your interests are- science fiction,
futuristic fantasy, scale, odd-roc, performance, payload, 3FNC, kit-bashing or
cloning?

Infinite possibilities! Keep in mind, you might be able to combine some
of these design goals and ideas, but not all.

Once you've narrowed down your choices to a few items, try a quick
internet search looking for inspiration. For example, if you want to try
a sci-fi or fantasy rocket, visit some sites devoted to those themes (or use
google images- you'd be surprised what pops up for "sci-fi rocket").

Also, don't forget your library (remember that place where everyone
went to before HTML was invented)? :)

Finally, I've often had success (and fun), when I pull out all the spare
and scratch parts and lay them out on the floor. Then imagine how some
of the pieces fit together. Sometimes just putting the parts in a different
setting will suggest something wonderful. You might even rediscover a part
or two you'd forgotten!

HTH!

P.S. Be sure to keep use posted (including pictures) on your progress!

All good ideas. When I get too many parts, I don't have a block, I have an overload! You don't have to rush it. Build a kit in between. Build an odd-roc. Wait for the right motivation.

If you don't have this book yet, you might consider getting it. It's full of good ideas that lead to further inspiration. Model Rocket Design and Construction

The best ideas I've seen revolve around new and interesting ways to handle the usual rocketry events: Ignition, Boost, Deployment, Recovery, etc.

This is a thread that inspired me quite a bit. Something different for sure. CD Spool Rockets

This thread got my creative juices flowing too. Maybe too well. :D Wadding - Kitchen Rocketry

rstaff3 has it right. Don't rush it. Just bide your time and work on other stuff. Read these forum posts too. Keep a folded sheet of paper in your pocket. At some point, something will kick off the ideas, and you'll fill the paper with enough inspirations in 5 minutes to keep you busy for a month.

-------------------------------------------------

Ah. No-one's replied yet, so I'll go back in and edit. I saw a marble on my desk, and had another idea. Make themed rockets based on common sayings. "He's lost his marbles.", "A stitch in time saves nine.", etc. No, I'm not advocating loading a rocket up with marbles. :eek: It's up to the one inspired to decide what basing a rocket on a particular theme means, and safety is always the top concern.

Also, common household items can inspire. I see an old deposit slip on the desk too. That makes me think of rolling tubes out of interesting papers from around the house and just clear-coating the tube. No paint. Again, I'm not advocating making rockets out of important papers or stuff that would reveal checking account numbers, social security numbers and the like. I see a used Yahtzee score sheet that would fit the bill if it could be rolled into something strong. Failing that, it could be laminated over a stock tube. How about the Sunday funnies? Your favorite Dilbert strips? The possibilities are endless!

Ya gotta think like the ol' Mad Rocketeer. :D :D

thanks for all the ideas. my creative juices have began to flow once again...

A few ideas:
Browse Jimz and think about cloning
Buy "rockets fo the world" and thinka about building scale
Buy "spaceship handbook" and think about scratchbuilding.

Originally posted by lipp
I got the designers special to round out some loose ends and BLAM!!!!!! creative block... :kill: any help is welcome!!!

Look up really old designs in the archives. I found an altitude bird called "Lil' 'Tinker" in an old Model Rocket News (like 1965). Superb flyer. There's some old stuff that can still compete with the "new". If not the whole bird, then consider the parts of the design and what you can do with them.

Back