3D Printing Creating STL's for OOP kits with unique parts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've wanted to build an Estes Stealth for a while now - it was one of my favorites as a teenager.
1676920900611.png

Unfortunately it's been out of production for many years and there are two unusual components - a plastic body shell around the cardboard tube, and a nose cone that nests in the cardboard tube but lines up with the body shell.
1676921031964.png1676921038708.png

I finally snagged a complete kit on eBay and am waiting on it to arrive in a few days. Once I've got it, I'd love to able to create the required STL's so someone could 3d print those two unique parts. But that's far, far above my ability level with 3d design. Would anyone else on here have those skills? I'd be glad to loan out the two parts for a little while if someone's up for the challenge. Alternatively it sounds like there are open source approaches to photogrammetry so you can generate an STL from multiple photos. Again, uncharted territory but I'll wander down that road as needed.

Curious to hear others' feedback and suggestions. Thanks!

This is a great project. I started the exact one in Fusion 360 a while ago using pictures from one of the rocket review sites. I found lots of interesting things about the body. While it's a octagon, none of the sides are equal! That is a result of the model being "blow molded" and not exactly precision. Not really and issue but still fun.

I stopped working on it as I had/have other projects to get done and hopped to go back later. You can tell by the shapes in the picture, this is just a rough outline and it's parametric so once the dimensions are added and it is closer to the original, scale is just a matter of increasing one dimension (BT Size) to scale up or down. Still lots of work to get it right and then test print.

Estes Stealth.jpg

Last edited:
I've always wanted a second stealth. There was a picture I saw once online of a mallard duck taking off like a jet airplane, complete with flames. I saw that, was thinking to myself, "Oh, that would be the perfect paint scheme for this rocket."

I've always wanted a second stealth. There was a picture I saw once online of a mallard duck taking off like a jet airplane, complete with flames. I saw that, was thinking to myself, "Oh, that would be the perfect paint scheme for this rocket."
I've got the parts in hand now. Not a kit I'll start until we figure out how to recreate the important bits.

Latest posts

Back