Createx 4030 Balancing Clear Help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjennings

Reaction score
I was using Createx 4030 balancing clear as an interstage clear to seal masking. I opened the bottle today, and thinned with 4012 high performance reducer. It was very difficult to spray, and after a short while of attempting to spray it, it got very chunky in my color cup.
I started out with about 10% reducer and added more as I tried to troubleshoot the spraying difficulty. Any thoughts?

I have not had any issues with the 4030. But I've only used it as a additive to colors not as an inter-coat.
I have had clumping of the Createx colors if the bottle had been opened a while ago. This may be want you experienced.
These I stretch a piece of panty hose over the month and screw the cap back on. This filters any clumps when I squeeze the paint out.

Last edited:
Thanks @waltr I've seen thickening of old open bottles too. But I just cracked the seal on it tonight. I've had this bottle maybe a year or so. And shook very well before opening.

@Marc_G do you have any thoughts as one of the forums Createx masters?
I might!

Just as @waltr said, I haven't used balancing clear as it's own coat. But, I did get a bad bottle once. It was thicker than my first bottle of the stuff, not quite a paste but visibly thicker than the previous bottle was. This bottle was cursed; anything I added it to clogged the airbrush. Eventually I threw it out. The next bottle I got was just fine, same consistency as the first bottle I had.

I believe that under some conditions, some of the solvent that is used in these paints exits faster than usual. While mostly water based, there is some sort of alcohol or other organic mixed in at some percentage. I've noticed that my older bottles now have a "sucked in" appearance to them; I'm pretty sure this is due to gradual (over 5+ years) evaporation of water and solvent resulting in higher paint concentration. Sometimes mixing in some reducer helps, other times not. I need to figure out what the solvent moiety consists of and see if adding some of that helps. Sadly, I probably have a couple dozen bottles of paint that isn't worth using, spanning Createx/Wicked Colors/AutoAir/Auto-Borne.

More to the current point: if you can thin the balancing clear sufficiently to paint it over the edges with a brush, do that. I never spray the stuff to seal tape; I paint it on with a fine brush to do so. Actually, while I have used balancing clear to seal tape, I usually use Transparent Base for this purpose. It's thinner, and when brushed on sparingly, you don't see any brush marks on the parts that remain after pulling the masking.

Good luck, and keep us updated.

Edit: good page with links to TDS for thinners. Different reducers have different solvents, but the standard 4011 reducer probably has the same solvent as the paints: propylene glycol monomethyl ether acetate. OK, not something you'll find at the hardware store.

I might!

Just as @waltr said, I haven't used balancing clear as it's own coat. But, I did get a bad bottle once. It was thicker than my first bottle of the stuff, not quite a paste but visibly thicker than the previous bottle was. This bottle was cursed; anything I added it to clogged the airbrush. Eventually I threw it out. The next bottle I got was just fine, same consistency as the first bottle I had.

I believe that under some conditions, some of the solvent that is used in these paints exits faster than usual. While mostly water based, there is some sort of alcohol or other organic mixed in at some percentage. I've noticed that my older bottles now have a "sucked in" appearance to them; I'm pretty sure this is due to gradual (over 5+ years) evaporation of water and solvent resulting in higher paint concentration. Sometimes mixing in some reducer helps, other times not. I need to figure out what the solvent moiety consists of and see if adding some of that helps. Sadly, I probably have a couple dozen bottles of paint that isn't worth using, spanning Createx/Wicked Colors/AutoAir/Auto-Borne.

More to the current point: if you can thin the balancing clear sufficiently to paint it over the edges with a brush, do that. I never spray the stuff to seal tape; I paint it on with a fine brush to do so. Actually, while I have used balancing clear to seal tape, I usually use Transparent Base for this purpose. It's thinner, and when brushed on sparingly, you don't see any brush marks on the parts that remain after pulling the masking.

Good luck, and keep us updated.

Edit: good page with links to TDS for thinners. Different reducers have different solvents, but the standard 4011 reducer probably has the same solvent as the paints: propylene glycol monomethyl ether acetate. OK, not something you'll find at the hardware store.
Thanks that helps. The only reducer I have on hand is the 4012 which appears to be discontinued. I'll have to get some of the transparent base and 4011 reducer.

The brush on sounds like a good idea. What little I did get to spray on the rocket looks good. Thanks for the help.

Wonder if you strain the 4030 to remove any clumps that the remainder will work.

4012 is being replaced with 4013 which meets California's laws.

So tried to repeat things and I didn't get nearly the same level of clumping. I maybe did add as much reducer, and the airbrush wasn't involved. The clumps formed after adding the reducer maybe the 4030 doesn't like 4012? I lightly brushed the unthined 4030 over my masks and tape. Left in both picks is unthined. The first is just after mixing and the second after a 10-15 min rest.

Attachments

• IMG_20220513_204722486.jpg
    IMG_20220513_204722486.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220513_210844740.jpg
    IMG_20220513_210844740.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 0
Back