3D Printing Creality 3D CR-10s 3D Printers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hatch Box is very nice based upon reviews and the printed items I have printed with it. I also like Proto Pasta.

Word of caution on Hatchbox. They are apparently in the process of winding down the Hatchbox line, and coming back with a line called HQA3D. As I test all of the PETG variants I can get my hands on I ordered their new stuff. It is BY FAR the worse layer adhesion I have seen with PETG. This stuff isn't even very sticky when melted, which is kind of PETGs thing. When it came to breaking strength of a part I use to test prints it broke at 1/3 the force that the next weakest filament did (out of more than 10 tested). It prints easily, and looks great (because it doesn't string due to the lack of stickiness), but the strength is not there.

My point is be careful with the new products from Hatchbox (which has been at least 2 other names before it was Hatchbox too). Maybe their PLA and ABS will be better, but I won;t be trying them after the PETG experience.

MakeShaper has some good stuff. MakerGeeks is ok too, but they have notoriously awful customer service and their site never shows what is actually in stock, so backorders are common.

MakerGeeks is ok too, but they have notoriously awful customer service and their site never shows what is actually in stock, so backorders are common.

I can second the comment on MatterGeeks. I have been printing with their PETG and it has done okay. Their site reminds me of the MyPillow guy. Lots of hype and talk, but you really aren't sure what you are buying. Their customer service is great on pre-sales, but they don't even bother to answer emails on the post-sales side when you tell them their bags are not sealed and that you have never seen a package of desiccant so small (1/2 gram) for a big bag. Maybe it was my fault for them not responding... :). I have used Hatchbox ABS and PLA, eSun PLA+ and PETG, and a few others. The eSun has worked well and at least they are still around. Sorry to hear Hatchbox is changing...

Last edited:
Printing with Hatchbox ABS right now, very nice. I had been using Octive for several years and liked it, but the last time I ordered it from Amazon it came in a plain box, different type of reel, and no labeling whatsoever. Some distributor was pulling a scam, substituting generic Chinese filament. It went back.

For now I just only ordered silver and copper colored PLA filament. The CR-10S I believe comes with a small sample reel of white filament for test printing. As I progress I will seek out good quality filament. I suppose in the short term, the silver & copper filaments will be used to print starter upgrade components for the printer in the form of larger bed leveling knobs, raised feet for the power supply, and a mod to convert the micro SD to a full size SD card reader...

I took my time when putting the pieces together, and the printer worked great! I printed the test article, a Creality Cat, the process took 3.5 hours, but the print was flawless. While waiting for my printer to be delivered, I compiled a list of printable upgrades that I wanted to incorporate, with larger bed leveling knobs at the top of the list. I was glad to see that Creality has incorporated the larger knobs in their CR-10S that I have.

I am looking at investing in Simplify 3D slicer software for next purchase.

Simplify 3D is worth the investment. It speeds up my prints and it is very easy to use.

other options for software (both free and supported)
Cura and MatterControl. At the time when I started 3d printing, Cura was (and still is highly rated), but it would not print directly over USB to the printer I had. I ended up trying Simplify3d and sent it back because of the price, licensing being locked to a computer and only being able to install it in two different computers with out buying another license from them. I tried MatterControl that MatterHackers have and continue to use that package for all of the prints I do. I run it on three computers with two different printers.

other options for software (both free and supported)
Cura and MatterControl. At the time when I started 3d printing, Cura was (and still is highly rated), but it would not print directly over USB to the printer I had. I ended up trying Simplify3d and sent it back because of the price, licensing being locked to a computer and only being able to install it in two different computers with out buying another license from them. I tried MatterControl that MatterHackers have and continue to use that package for all of the prints I do. I run it on three computers with two different printers.

The price is higher but I really like the way it does supports.

$150 is definitely higher than free... :)

The need for supports depends on what you print of course. I don't use supports for any of the parts I print (at least right now) and MatterControl has options to add a variety of supports also. I will certainly revisit the cost if I find MatterControl can't handle what I am developing.

The need for supports depends on what you print of course. I don't use supports for any of the parts I print (at least right now) and MatterControl has options to add a variety of supports also. I will certainly revisit the cost if I find MatterControl can't handle what I am developing.

I like matter control. It is not bad. I use it off and on too.

I also understand 150 is a lot for the software.

It really depends on what I am doing. Then again, I am only a few weeks into using it.

Simplify3D has a lot of pros and cons. $$, and slow updates. The two computer limit could get sticky as I add printers. I believe it's pretty much overdue for an update now. It used to have a clear advantage over Cura et. al., but now I believe Cura has some features that S3D hasn't caught up to yet. Ironing, I believe is the latest thing that Cura does but S3D does not. I also think there's a variable layer height by slope feature that sounds cool.

But for S3D - I really like the supports too. I frequently use multiple processes by layer (I think Cura has this). But the most recent thing I did with it just blew me away. I had a large object on which I wanted a good surface, but it also had significant internal structure (not just infill). I was looking at a 21 hour print with all of it at 0.15 layer height. In my CAD program, I 'cored out' the internal structure, leaving only the object's skin. I then brought the skin and core into S3D as separate objects (but effectively rejoined) and printed the skin at 0.15, and the internal structure at 0.3 layer height. The result was fabulous and the print time came down to 13 hours. I'm going to try it next with the skin at 0.1.

I loaded and looked at Cura just a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't excited at what I saw, but I didn't look long enough, I guess. I couldn't find any of the features I was looking for - need to take another look.

Until I can pick up a copy of Simplify 3D, I have been using Cura; Cura is pretty easy to use, and I spent the better part of the weekend printing with it. The SD card that is included with the CR-10S had a number of test files loaded onto it, which I have printed many of them already. Saturday I made my largest print, which was a pair of mounts to get my printer up off the table a bit. The print took 17.37 hours to print, from mid Saturday morning to the wee hours of Sunday morning.

I am about done playing around with trinkets, and will now turn my focus towards upgrade parts, and rocket components. I have also been working on a rocket design that will be 75% to 85% all 3D printed that I hope to fly with high power motors. I am using SolidWorks as my design tool.

Last edited:
Cool. I can't wait to see your prints. I will take some photos of mine tonight.

Does anyone know of a good Creality community? I'm considering buying something from their lineup but I'd like to read more from users rather than reviewers.

Been very happy with my Anycubic Mega($340, very little assembly required), so far about 1000 hours and no problems. Just keep the bed clean ( 93% alcohol )
ABS is to hard to play with, I have but the result vary, if no enclosure then shut down the air flow to the room it's in ( did help a lot ) , but PetG is the way to go, easy to work with and a bit flexible ( no shrinkage ) 220C head, 65c to 70C for the bed. Picture is a TeleBT mount to a Arrow antenna, just remove it, no cleaning required ( no string or flashing, setting are everything ) Print time was 46 minutes.
Just remember if you use ABS, sometimes hard to get it to stick to the base, if and when that happens Blue painters tape is your friend.

Attachments

• IMG_2021.JPG
    IMG_2021.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 75
The use of Blue painters tape has been quite favorable for my CR-10S. I used the tape sent by the mfg, and it lasted for one print before it had to be scraped off. I have several prints on simple painters tape I obtained from (s)Lowes.

PLA is all I have worked with so far, I will need to build an enclosure for my printer if I want to work with ABS.

Try the esun PLA Pro, I have had GREAT luck with that and have been through 50+ reels on my CR-10... 60C bed, 215 print head.

I got a great deal on Hatchbox PLA. I found 10 rolls on eBay for 119.00. It was all black but is will be good to learn from. I see a similar deal on Amazon for 139.99.

Work has just decided they need a couple more 3D printers :). A couple of Creality CR10 units I think, including one with a 500x500x500mm (20x20x20") build volume. The smaller one will be a double-extruder as well. Those are added to our Formlabs Form 2 and the Stratasys 1200es. Choice!

I highly recommend eSun PETG, it is extremely durable and easy to print. The layer adhesion when you print it at 250C is incredible, they just blend together.

Work has just decided they need a couple more 3D printers :). A couple of Creality CR10 units I think, including one with a 500x500x500mm (20x20x20") build volume. The smaller one will be a double-extruder as well. Those are added to our Formlabs Form 2 and the Stratasys 1200es. Choice!
Lucky you, wish my university gave us access to FDM, SLS and all the options that Stratasys brings. Right now I'm using my custom FDM printer that I have in my dorm, works like a charm.

Printing is coming along nicely. Once all the "trinket" request got out of the way, I am focusing on printing working parts. Right now I am struggling with PETG while trying to print a scope wheel for my air rifle. Was working on a 85% printed rocket design, and then was told that the club frowns on 3D printed rockets and reserves the right to deny me the time to fly it... Kind of a nip in the nuds with that project.

Back