Crazy Jim's Skid Drag

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimzcatz

Boss, Carolina Rocket Mafia
Reaction score
Newsguy: So,how does it feel to win this years Crazy Jims Drag Race?
ME: Feels pretty good,seeing as my opponent(Jim Hendrickson) had a 22 pound weight advantage over me. I would like to thank all the guys in the shop,the Jim Scarpine,Performance Hobbies Starleopard ran real good all day. The AMW M-2200 skidmark is the perfect motor for this type of track. We thought we were done for at the start,we had a pre-launch mishap. But thanks to an extrended caution period,and a really attentive race official(RSO), we were able to fix the problem before the call to start engines. I really expected a good top 2 finish,but due to a wiring error (he forgot to hook up his clips :rotflol: The Jim Scarpine/Performance Hobbies Starleopard quickly went to the front,and the rest is history.
Newsguy: Would you give your opponent a rematch.
Me: Of course I would, he knows where I am!

Just having some fun. It was a blast for sure.

Congrats!

I'll be drag racing 38 Specials with him at NERRF, high hopes! :D I hope my 38's bum fin will hold up.

Newsguy: So,how does it feel to win this years Crazy Jims Drag Race?
ME: Feels pretty good,seeing as my opponent had a 22 pound weight advantage over me. I would like to thank all the guys in the shop,the Jim Scarpine,Performance Hobbies Starleopard ran real good all day. We thought we were done for at the start,we had a pre-launch mishap. But thanks to an extrended caution period,and a really attentive race official(RSO), we were able to fix the problem before the call to start engines. I really expected a good top 2 finish,but due to a wiring error (he forgot to hook up his clips :rotflol: The Jim Scarpine/Performance Hobbies Starleopard quickly went to the front,and the rest is history.
Newsguy: Would you give your opponent a rematch.
Me: Of course I would, he knows where I am!

Just having some fun. It was a blast for sure.

NO pictures Jim? :p That means it never happened!!

Ben

Well it was bound to happen sooner or later,I get the Dooomass award for stupidity.
I was checking continuity at my pad by clipping the clips together, before hooking up the copper thermite igniter. I,m kinda leary of doing it after the thermite is hooked up.

Any how while waiting for the other Jim, to get his rocket on the pad,I did an interview with Rockets magazine. After not paying any attention, heard the buzz, indicating good cont. and just forgot to hook up the igniter.

Here are a few shots at the pad. You can imagine my surprise at launch time when Bananas just sat there!

Well we all got to see two great flights any how, just not together.

I had a major snafu during recovery and my rocket fell from 1000 ft when the nose cone and shockcord, swung over the top of the main at deployment, causing it to deflate and free fall in.

The first picture shows Jim Scarpine cheating by getting on top of my rocket box. I think he was trying to gain some alttitude on me before the race!!

The second is the usuall suspects.

100_0644.jpg

100_0652.jpg

The ground at the farm was dry and hard as playa.....
I had an extra CR on the back, to make mounting the aero pack easier, and flush with the rear airframe.

It is not flush anymore the hit drove it up 1/2 to the next CR splitting the airframe slightly. No worries though this will be an easy fix. I used Wildmans super duper top secret 'BIONIC FIBERGLASS" when I rebuilt this rocket. Not many rockets weighing this much, could take such a hit with so little damage.

The connecting tube also hit on edge, flexed and broke loose the phenolic from the inside, for a good 6-8 in. But later on closer inspection the glass was O-K. just cosmetic.

So all in all I did quite well, considering coming in hot

100_0662.jpg

100_0661.jpg

100_0656.jpg

The poor nose cone...surviver of fire, chaos and mayhem....just sitting there so peaceful...wondering what will happen next!

This thing is a work of art, I just might have to retire it after this flying season, and donate it to the Smithsoneon.

Hey I just realized.....this is my 1000 post. How appropriate,it's the Bananas Cone!!!

100_0660.jpg

The guy on the right,Bob from Rockets magazine will live in infamy as the one who caused my igniter snafu by distracting me..

The hundred dollar bill hanging out of his pocket probably came from Jim Scarpine!!!! on the left [allegedly] paying him to do so.

And of course me ad my wocket!

This third shot looks Osama, incognito, trying to sneak up on a rocket. actually just the nitrous tank covered with a towel.

A great video of my flight can be seen under the NAR NSL videos, another high power thread. Shows the entire flight including the unusual high speed fin can spinning ans the doomed deployment. I really like the slow mo take off at the end.

I went 6280ft.Jim S how high did you go?

100_0646.jpg

100_0653.jpg

100_0649.jpg

I hit 3524,but I WAS 22 pounds heavier . Gotta suck in the gut for pics next time. It was a great time,thanks for everything.

Back