Crazy JIM is CALLING ALL WILDMEN! { AGAIN }N-10,000 Drag Race [NO MILDMEN PLEASE]

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackjack2564

Crazy Jim's Gone Banana's
Reaction score
As if doing a 27ft tall DarkStar and the "Sweet 16' drag race aren't enough. Wildmans gone and done it again.

Tim decided since we did it on the East, ought to do it on the West for LDRS. Kinda a Coast to Coast N-10000

So far there are 7 signed up, more on that later. 6inch rockets and up, don't want to break waiver.
Igniters will be supplied.

Any one else want to come out and play?
There's a very special deal on the load and hardware ala CTI.
Come on and be famous or infamous as Mike found out!

The Sweet 16 hasn't seemed to get anyone interested that I know of other than Tim and me so far. So he pulled out the big guns.

The more the merrier. We had 7 in the one last LDRS. Got to do better than that. I want to hear every car alarm going off after this one!

Thoughts? Who's in?
Want to do your L-3 on a N-10000 in a drag race and be a real Wildman?

Wow! And I thought 4 was nuts. Really wish I could be there for this one. Oh well, I'm sure you'll come up with a good one for the next Red Glare! :)

Jim,

Are you counting me in? As I said before, I'd love to, but I don't have the electronics to take the >70G that it would cause my rocket to accelerate at. I'd be happy to enter a miscellaneous M drag race though.

Jim,

Are you counting me in? As I said before, I'd love to, but I don't have the electronics to take the >70G that it would cause my rocket to accelerate at. I'd be happy to enter a miscellaneous M drag race though.

What are you flying? You should be able to peg the accelerometer and it will still deploy fine. You just get a plateau in the accel data until it drops back below the upper G limit.

Todd

Not if it uses the accel integrated velocity to detect apogee...

My R-DAS is what I'm worried about. I could probably be fine with the Featherweight Raven alone (which I believe would work OK), but I would rather fly redundant electronics.

Not if it uses the accel integrated velocity to detect apogee...

My R-DAS is what I'm worried about. I could probably be fine with the Featherweight Raven alone (which I believe would work OK), but I would rather fly redundant electronics.

I think Jim used an R-DAS in the drag race at RG. He said it pulled ~63 Gs.

Yeah, but that's about its limit, and I have a lighter (~23-24lbs with everything but motor) rocket. I've maxed mine out before during recovery deployment and landing, and it reads right around 65G when pegged. I know I would hit higher than that off the pad.

Jim,

Sadly you must use the N-10000 to be in.

I used a R-das and HiAlt 45 last time everything worked just fine.
Tim used R-das and Missleworks mini.
John an old G-wiz lx and RRC2.

I hit 65g's and Tim 66 . It's only for a second or 2, by the time you hit appogee all is OK.

I'm more concerned about the interaction of 7 shock waves than anything.

But it ain't stopping me.

Oh come on. What the worst that can happen? :y: :jaw: :jaw:

Just fly it.

Sorry, I can't. Not only is the acceleration a problem, so is the cost. I'm already pushing my budget right now (ask Tim Lehr if you want details on why).

(Besides, the altitude is a bit of a concern too - I'd be over 15k)

Maybe next year at LDRS, after I have the sims on this rocket dialed in a bit more, and after I have a chance to redo the electronics for high-G flights (probably a pair of Featherweight Ravens).

Last edited:
Here is a update on the fliers so far:

1. Brad Wilson [the rocket reverand] Ultimate Wildman

2. Jack Garibaldi

3 Darrl Hanks [ Kentucky Alien] Ultimate Wildman

4.Jim Hendricksen [Crazy Jim] Ultimate Ultimate Endeavor

5. James Daughtry

6. Tim Lehr [Wildman] Ultimate Wildman

7. Gerald Meux Ultimate Wildman

Looks like there is a theme here.......Wildman Kits!

Still plenty of time. The waters warm. Come on in!

Go, Darryl! Smoke the rest of 'em!

(Okay, so I'm biased -- Darryl comes to a few of our launches every year)

-Kevin

Wooooohoooooo!!! :eek: I have been to lanches With Darryl, Jim, and Tim...And they are all "GREAT" guys...Don't care who wins as long as I get to see the video! Whish I could be there guys! Southern Thunder is best I can do this year...See ya on the Sod next month Darryl!

Mike

Just to keep the Darryl luv going strong... :p

So you're going to CA for LDRS, then driving back here to come down to TN for Southern Thunder the next weekend? You Rock! :headbang:

Back