Crazy Ebay Pricing!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just.Ed

Wife says I'm "Thrifty" BAR
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Is it just me or have people completely lost their minds on prices over on eBay?
I'm not sure if people on there are completely wacked or if it's some kind of grand scheme to make us think average prices are a deal or something.
I know people think that we're a bunch of geeks playing with our toys but do they really think we're stupid just because they attach the word "Vintage" or "Star Wars/Trek",
We'll pay just about anything they put up there? Jeeze

Vintage SEALED Estes Titan III E 1:73 Flying Model Rocket Kit #2019 RARE 47776020191 | eBay $550?
Estes flying model rocket kit Photon Torpedo Outfit vintage NIB mint # 1420 | eBay $560
Estes flying model rocket Star Wars T-65 X-wing Fighter Outfit vintage 1422 NIB | eBay $460
Vintage Estes Flying Model Rocket Orbital Transport Kit K-42 MIB Sealed NM | eBay $270
1976/1991 Star Trek ESTES Flying Model Rocket Collection-Your Choice- 1701/Kling | eBay $230 for the Enterprise
Patriot Starter Set # 1450
From $180 - Vintage Estes Flying Model Rocket Outfit U.S. Army Patriot Anti-Missile Missile 47776014503 | eBay
Down to a normal-ish $44.50 with everything in between $145, $90 - Estes Flying Model Rocket U.S. Army Patriot Starter Set # 1450 NIB | eBay ($44.50)
NEW Estes Star Trek Klingon Battle Cruiser Flying Model Rocket Kit OPEN BOX | eBay $135
The Estes Jupiter-C $212 down to $75

Is it just me or have people completely lost their minds on prices over on eBay?
I'm not sure if people on there are completely wacked or if it's some kind of grand scheme to make us think average prices are a deal or something.
I know people think that we're a bunch of geeks playing with our toys but do they really think we're stupid just because they attach the word "Vintage" or "Star Wars/Trek",
We'll pay just about anything they put up there? Jeeze

The ones you quote are just aspirational "Buy It Now" (BIN) prices.
Feel free to add Titan III to your watch list, and see it get relisted over, and over, and over again. I bought one earlier this summer for exactly $80, so don't assume the guy will get his $550 asking price.

If you have an OOP model you have in mind, add it to your eBay <Search List>, and you will get notified when one gets listed.
Avoid silly BIN prices, and eventually, reasonably priced auctions will show up.
Patience is your friend.

HTH,
a

I've got all kinds of searches set up that I watch but those nutso prices kinda jumped out at me today.
I bought one of the Estes Klingon kits a few months ago for under $25, (see I am a geek) and when I saw it today for $135 I said "huh?"
So, I did the sort by price high to low (rather than my normal other way around) and thought I want some of what they're smoking.

You know what rich wise men say...A Fool and his money are soon parted.
I laugh at people listing them kind of prices. Once in a while I add one to my watch list to see if get an offer.
Hench I don't want to start that conversation about the price.
I seen a New Release B1 for $200 plus shipping today. I was sooooo temped to make first contact....but I held back.
If someone actually pays those kind of prices, they have done zero research and probably deserve to taken.
Not that it's fair in any way, but a buyer should know he/she is buying and what the value is.
Personally, I just couldn't take advantage of a fool like that. It would haunt me for life. Well, hopefully at least 10 years.

I’ve noticed in my other hobby, Model Railroading that eBay sellers are asking insane and stupid pricing for so called rare or Oop items as well. I call it Pandemic pricing. I think with the swap meets and shows shutdown, the market has dried up of reasonably priced items. What’s left are sellers that have premium priced items that really make you step back.

Back in 2004, I put an Estes Mars Lander, never opened and in shrink wrap, on EBay to help my son raise funds for summer camp (Philmont Scout Ranch). A bidding war started and it went for I think $425. No BIN price, a $225 reserve, and me sitting back watching and thinking what in the world is going on.

I've been noticing the trend of prices going higher and higher on eBay. It use to be the place to go for deals on items that people were listing. By people, I mean just regular people like you and me that no longer have a need for something and they want to sell it.

I think now it is more of a storefront for businesses that may, or may not be real businesses. I have noticed that most of the rocketry items are at full list price now, or higher, for items that are in production. Stuff that is oop, well the sky is the limit on pricing.

-Bob

Ebay used to be a 24/7/365 yard sale....now it's just a front for Amazon and other business outlets.

I have no trouble with hobby stores selling since it's hard to get folks to actually walk into a place, and brick and mortars are going away and stock is simply not there. Heck, even my FLGS won't order a lot of the stuff that I'd like to have, even if I pre-pay.....so the only option is Ebay or manufacturer direct.

........but more and more I'm getting things that I bought on Ebay delivered by Amazon. A few times I've been able to connect the ebay seller to an Amazon seller directly....and it's usually cheaper on ebay!

As to the insane prices....... remember that there's an awful lot of folks sitting at home making crazy money teleworking that haven't had an outlet like travel or whatever for their $$, and this year we're all competing with them for the things that we want. That said, a pack of Hanes socks at Wal Mart is $5, at Target it's $7.50, at Macy's it's $10.....and there are a lot of folks that shop at Macy's that never step foot into Wal Mart.

A LOT of people perceive 'value' and 'price I paid' as one and the same, coupled with their personal self image.

Same deal in my other hobby, Pinball. They put massive buy-it-now pricing on machines, hoping for one of two possible outcomes. Occasionally somebody will be dumb and actually buy it at the asking price. More often it's just a free ad with a lot of exposure, and they'll negotiate outside of ebay for a much lower selling price, that way the seller doesn't pay the fee's.

-Hans

As a for instance, I tried going to Omni's website and check out some pricing on some rocket kits.
The site no longer exists, but it took me to their Ebay store.
Apparently, the didn't sell enough from their web site and moved everything to Ebay.
So I agree that Ebay is getting more professional sellers. And prices are reaching ridiculous highs.
I put an Estes SR-71 on the watch list at $260. Had an offer for $200 plus Shipping yesterday.
I thanked the seller for the offer, and told him I bought 2 last week. 1 for 40 and 1 for 60.
And wished him luck. He has quite a few kits, way over priced and won't consider reasonable offers.
Clearly, he values his kits much more than anyone else.

As a for instance, I tried going to Omni's website and check out some pricing on some rocket kits.
The site no longer exists, but it took me to their Ebay store.
Apparently, the didn't sell enough from their web site and moved everything to Ebay.
So I agree that Ebay is getting more professional sellers. And prices are reaching ridiculous highs.
I put an Estes SR-71 on the watch list at $260. Had an offer for $200 plus Shipping yesterday.
I thanked the seller for the offer, and told him I bought 2 last week. 1 for 40 and 1 for 60.
And wished him luck. He has quite a few kits, way over priced and won't consider reasonable offers.
Clearly, he values his kits much more than anyone else.

If one is patient with these Enterprise and Battle Cruiser models, you can snag one for under $50.00 including shipping. I've been watching an Enterprise for over 2 years now which started off at $250.00. Now it's down to $99.95 which still hasn't sold.

So does that mean anything I make can be sold as pro-built since my 1st model was made back in 1970, (give or take a couple).
Means I've got 50 years experience! Just because I took a 45ish year break shouldn't matter, right? :ghosty:

Hold on a Second.. These things are worth something? I got my hands on a ton of these things when I first got back in the hobby. A seller had a huge box of old rockets and motors. I never gave them any thought and used most of them. They were all odd sizes like B3-4 and C3-6 and they didn't fit anything.

The smaller motors were too big for 18mm and the larger were too big for 24mm. I ended up using the smaller ones in some light 24mm rockets but I don't recall what I did with the larger ones. I think they might be in storage.

Back