Crazy Deal on Magician From Hobby Lobby!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ccolvin968

Reaction score
Not sure where people consider the Estes Magician to fall... I plan on flying in on MPR Aerotech motors, so it's here. :)
This will also count as the build thread as soon as I start it.
But for now, I'm just excited to share this sweet deal I got. $7.19 :) Picture is here for proof.magician.jpg
I know it's just a Magician, but it's an awesome payloader in this impulse range if you ask me!

Confirmed! All parts are there and in good condition!
Started the build tonight and I'll start posting photos tomorrow.

Thats the reason I check the clearance section of HL everytime I go in there, I acquired a Estes Patriot missle on clearance that way for a similar price. However I leave the ARF/RTF for someone else as I mostly detest ARF/RTF.

I got my Vagabond like that, same kind of deal. I always get excited when I walk up to the clearance section and see Estes kits hanging on the pegs. With some of the price markdowns I almost feel like I'm stealing...almost.

Ccolvin968 be careful, I launched my Magician on an E 12 and it disappeared. I got it back after a long walk and a lot of searching.

I got my Vagabond like that, same kind of deal. I always get excited when I walk up to the clearance section and see Estes kits hanging on the pegs. With some of the price markdowns I almost feel like I'm stealing...almost.

Ccolvin968 be careful, I launched my Magician on an E 12 and it disappeared. I got it back after a long walk and a lot of searching.

for recovery I would change out the chute for a rock.

Hahaha! I can always put a sonic locator in it to assist.
I also figured either a nice sized spill hole would help too.
I'll post my progress pictures tonight.
Mostly following the instructions, but adding slight variations for added strength and one way access into the payload bay.

Nice deal! I haven't checked out the clearance section at my local HL. But the next time I go, I'll check it out! :)
Thanks,

Rockets, if not the clearance section check the endcaps around the rocket aisle.
They'll have them sitting on those too. :) Happy hunting!

Not much work got done on her tonight. Lots of distractions. This is where I'm at.
magician parts.jpg
Here are the parts all laid out on my work/reloading bench. They're all here!

coupler eye hook.jpg
Just like I did with my Supernova, I have epoxied the eyehook into the transition just to be extra sure it doesn't go anywhere.

fin assembly.jpg
The start to putting the fin can together. I have half rounded out/sharpened the leading and chord edges on all of the fins.

The Magician is a fantastic flyer. Its near min diameter, so it just keeps going up.
I lost my first one on an E9 with spotters figuring it rose near a quarter mile up. Drifted off into what they called "The tick woods", so I let it go.

Fly with plenty of room, you'll grow attached to this thing when its done!

Hopefully I dont lose it! We have very large sod farms in northern Minnesota that our club has the privilege of using.
I'm loving building it and I've just started!

I don't think Magician is on the current planogram so they must have still had one from the last reset. Last years was out so the Expedition and Star Orbiter were on the set but not out yet. I'm sure five or six things will fall off and be cleared out.

Here is some JL3 data for a Magician on an E9-6. We do have the advantage of launching at a mile high elevation. I don't have a graph of it, but it made almost 2000ft on an F24 reload.
Magician E9-6.png
Easily one of my favorite fliers until another E9-6 blew it to bits. Estes replaced the kit, but I have not built it yet.[YOUTUBE]/JULkBXsULoE[/YOUTUBE]

Hopefully I dont lose it! We have very large sod farms in northern Minnesota that our club has the privilege of using.
I'm loving building it and I've just started!

Yeah, they are fun to build! I bought one for my brother about 2 years ago. He really liked building it, I'm almost tempted to get one myself! :)
Thanks,

Im on my 2nd one and love it- The first one got bit by an e9 cato - and was rebuilt. I ended up shortening the bt a couple of inches and flipping the fins 180- dont ask why-I just tried it and it worked well- lol
It actually flew higher than the stock configuration. Sadly on its last flight it caught a thermal and drifted out of site , looked for it for a few hrs before I gave up.

Just finished up the fin can. Even though I got my L2 today, I couldn't wait to get home and continue building her later tonight after the kiddos go to bed!
More pictures to follow.

Back