Quantcast

Crayons!!!???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Dr. Don

Reaction score
I used my scroll saw for a convenient "clamp" while the epoxy set up on the fin roots at the fin can. You can see how the aft CR re-inforces the soft plastic fin can and the rounded aft edge of the fins...........If you decide to use 2 hour epoxy, you will need DAYS of patience to wait for it to quit running! The masking tape helped to seal the cracks...........

Dr. Don

Reaction score
Now were getting somewhere!!
The mmt is glued in with a nice thick layer of epoxy inside the fin can. The 1/4 20 threaded rod couples all the way through to the aft CR for extra strength, and gives a nice solid attachment for
the moter retainer strap. I used those nuts with the nylon inserts .........

Dr. Don

Reaction score
Here's a view down inside the BT : You can see the shock cord I borrowed from the parts bin and the layer of epoxy on the CR.
Also note the vent holes near the top of the BT............

Dr. Don

Reaction score
Here's the payload stuff: A borrowed drouge chute from the Magnum and a "length" of 1" underwear elastic attached to the old nylon cord ( I think it was from the amraam stock kit)......
Also notice how pretty that slow cure epoxy is on the bulkhead plate!!! And of course the forward launch lug ( from the cardboard tube from the bigger copperhead ignitors).........

Dr. Don

Reaction score
Aft view with a 38mm motor casing held in with a 3/8"
conduit strap from the electrical parts bin........
I have absolutely no reason for either the number or the size
of the fins.........
When I made up the fin jig out of a piece of card stock, I trimmed it very scientifically to fit on a scrap of luan I pulled out of the scrap bin ( I have lots of bins)...........

Dr. Don

Reaction score
A little more epoxy around the fins( and painted on the fins)
and we are ready for high altitudes ( and lots of extra attention at the launch)!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dr Don

Tools R Us

Reaction score
Looking good Dr. Don, the pictures are great. Get some more stuff on that work bench! ... :D

lalligood

Reaction score
Yesterday we had fantastic rocket launching weather here in Central Florida. Little on the windy side at times but that didn't stop me from putting my Crayon up on a Pro38 I205. It was an *amazing* flight. It did spit the casing (unbelievably, we recovered it!), drifted for quite a while with a chute that was too big, & landed in a tree (although the tallest tree at our launch site is still under 20ft tall). Blessed by the good karma, I did it again but on a Pro38 H153 & a smaller chute.

Here's a pic of it on the I205. Enjoy!