Crayons (Full Scale Micro Odd-Rocs) build.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My Full Scale Crayons Micro models were Old when I first joined TRF some years ago so I never put up the build thread for them. They were done as part of a club sport fun fly event "Sky Writing" were we all built a bunch of flying writing instruments, pencils, pens and of coarse many many different size Crayons...usually from Toys-R-Us purchased Crayon banks.
Well I wanted to do something just a tiny bit differenent. So i went about laying out a full 8 color box of crayons, lables and eventually included the box:)

Heres how it started...

MM 272b2-sm_Crayon4-fin (skywriterserier) Od-Rc_05-28-03.jpg

MM 272e01-sm_Crayon const_cutting tube_05-19-03.jpg

MM 272e03-sm_basswood to..281dia_05-20-03.jpg

MM 272e04-sm_dividers mark NC sections_05-20-03.jpg

more constructions; Making Motor blocks.
Today I use 3/16" sections of T2(.246") tube for motor blocks, it's a bit lighter then using old motor casings as was done here.
These used casing are from the old MMX-I plastic motors casings as well. the kevlar line used is also kind of hard to find now it was 70lb braided Kevlar fishing line. Today i'd use 90lb twisted kevlar in its place.
the installation process is the same and is used on many current micro models, including the Bic Stic pen micro rocket that I adapted from Art Applewhites original plan to include a motor block and teflon tape/kevlar line recovery system. Art version allows the model to lawn dart.

a coat of White then the other 7 colors are sprayed on.
after drying the nosecones are drilled out and a 70lb kevlar loop is epoxied in place, leaving room for nose weight if necessary.

lables are wiped with thinned out white glue and rolled onto the bodies stood on end to dry.

.020" clear lexan fins are CA and epoxy fillet applied to each color. 1/16" long Launch Lugs are also attached at this time, tho I later decided to make a Box cluster launcher using the interior seperators as the guide rails. more on that later.

over to the field for a test launch, AOK!!! add .4g nose weight and there good to go:)

now to make the storage and launcher boxes.

MM 272e20-sm_8lot base coat White_05-31-03.jpg

MM 272e23-sm_Crayon const_White Clear lexan Fins applied_05-19-03.jpg

MM 272d1_White Crayon on Pad_06-05-03.jpg

Last edited:
Building the storage box and Liteply box launcher were as much fun as building the Crayons themselves..

first I layed out the graphics for the cardstock box in CorelDRAW. the jpegs below had to be reduced quite a bit but I think you'll be able to see how the layouts were done. these drawings were printed on 110lb colored cardstock. to create the storage and display box. another set was printed on cardstock then applied to the outside surfaces of 1/16" 3ply lite-ply box used to create the launcher base that launched the crayons in two batches of 4. I have pics of the launch but haven't sized them for posting. I'll try to get around to resizing them soon.
anyway heres the storage box layouts and a couple finished pics.

MM 272f1-b-sm_8pk 4-fin Crayon box & Lcher_3 view_05-29-03.jpg

MM 272f4-b-sm_8pk 4-fin Crayon box inserts A_06-03-03.jpg

MM 272f5-b-sm_8pk 4-fin Crayon Center inserts B_06-03-03.jpg

Attachments

• MM 272e26a-sm_8pk Storage Box with Models_06-05-03.jpg
    MM 272e26a-sm_8pk Storage Box with Models_06-05-03.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 14
What a great write up and project! How has it gotten no love until now?

Latest posts

Back