crayon stuff

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoJo

Reaction score
alright i got my crayon from toys r us and i've got a stupid question that will probably be obvious to you guys. im gonna put a 29mm motormount in it and im looking at loc tubing from performance hobbies to get some. what i want to know is what size .95 inches sounds right but im gonna check firs before i buy. :rolleyes: and do any of you know how long the loc tubing is that they send you?

I assume it is 34 inches long. That is what it is straight from LOC.

How much did it cost you at Toys R Us?? i had been looking for one for a while and Ken had one at O-berg... for $10! I bought it, hope it wasnt a major rip off!

Was that just for the crayon itself or it put together as a rocket?

Originally posted by phaar
Was that just for the crayon itself or it put together as a rocket?

there (as far as i know) is no complete crayon rocket kit. there is just cardboard crayon piggy banks that bowhunter started making into rocket kits by using the bank as the BT. wich is the new TRF fad;)

I am working on two myself.:D ;) One 24mm and one 38mm. Can't wait till they are done. One is almost complete. They both will have lexan fins. We will post pics later!

phaar how many 24mm mmts are ya going to have just one? I wouldnt reccomend that I would at least cluster. my 24mm Crayon has a 5-24mm cluster

I was planning on a single 24mm. Why, do you think it won't be powerful enough?

Phaar, I've built a bunch of crayon rockets. if you build as light as possible (hint: 1/8" plywood and yellow glue) you will still end up at 800 grams or so. it cant' fly on Es so still needs a 29mm MMT, or at least 3x cluster of 24mm. put a 29mm MMT in it so you can fly on Fs (750'), and "someday" put Gs (1500') and Hs (2200') in it.

for us, the "original" crayon rocket - and a huge inspiration - was in Jamie Clay's "Gumby" movie (www.videorocketry.com). although it turns out people have been building crayon rockets for at least 10 years before Gumby.

have fun and post some pix!!

Haha. Ok. I was looking at you guy's posts and I was like " wow, what are they talking about!" Then I read over everything and I realized I said 24mm. I meant 29mm. Sorry guys!:D :D That is kind of a common mistake for some reason for me.:confused: :rolleyes:

ohhhhhhhh now thats better if ya can get a ellis mount. G-35 youll love it

JoJo,

You also mentioned that you are planning on building a 38mm version as well. With that one, you will more than likely need some noseweight (4-8oz depending on your build techniques) to ensure stability with the larger 38mm Hs & pretty much any I motors. Get yourself a 29-38mm adapter so you can use 29mm motors too. Also, you can either have 2 nosecones (one weighted & one stock) depending on what size motors you use OR build the nose cone with an adjustable weighting system (like a threaded rod) to add/remove weight as necessary. Lastly, the only adhesive that I've found that sticks to the crayon nose cones is polyurethane glue (like Gorilla Glue) or PML 2-part foam, which is pretty much the same thing. Nothing else sticks...

HTH,

i'm almost done with my 3" 29mm crayon,, i got mine at the thrift shop for $.50 tho! i also have a 4" clear plastic one that i may build after this one has flown... that would be cool, but i'm not sure how well even epoxy is going to stick ot the plastick.

oh, btw... i got the clear one for $1 at a different thriftshop... still is more than i pay for most of my rockets tho :D

lalligood, the gorilla glue for the nosecones is a good tip, I will try that. I have been using hot melt glue, which works OK.

and good call, definitely need noseweight with most 38mm loads. I put 10oz in the "Pterodactyl Crayon" nose cone, to launch with a J420.

Originally posted by cls
lalligood, the gorilla glue for the nosecones is a good tip, I will try that. I have been using hot melt glue, which works OK.

Hot melt glue is what I originally used & it works OK (NOTE: This is the *only* purpose/time I found it useful to use hot melt glue on a rocket.) I found that I had to re-hot glue my bulkhead after only a couple of flights though. The hot glue easily peeled off. I have great confidence though that the poly glue will not need replacing anytime soon though :)

Originally posted by cls
and good call, definitely need noseweight with most 38mm loads. I put 10oz in the "Pterodactyl Crayon" nose cone, to launch with a J420.
:eek: :eek: :eek: I would love to have seen that flight!!!! And I thought my Crayon's flight with a Pro38 I205 was insane!

Back