Crayon rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UPscaler

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello guys, I saw a link on someone using a coin bank to build a rocket. I was hooked.:rolleyes:

What is a good place to get custom centering rings done?

Also, how can I simulate the nosecone on RockSim?

Thanks!

I am in the process of building a crayon rocket right now and the way i did the nose cone in RockSim was I took a regular nose cone i.e LOC 5.38 NC then customized the diameter of the NC to be a little smaller than the body tube to show that lip that is at the top of the crayon. I also made the top of the NC conical which is a little off but you cant make the top of the NC flat on RockSim (well at least I havent found out how yet)

Here is the link to my build thread...(im at college right now so not a whole lot of work has gotten done on it yet)

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=8422

I will post an updated RockSim file here a little later because I have made some small changes to it but you can see how I did the NC.

Also, I plan on cutting my own centering rings for this project. I have to make sur everything is centered and round but it can be done.

Good luck on the project

Matt

I had posted this RockSim component file before, but
can't find the posting to link to...

IIRC, the weights are pretty close to the one's I typically
get from Toy-R-Us, but you'll need to adjust for your NC.

I had posted this RockSim component file before, but
can't find the posting to link to...

IIRC, the weights are pretty close to the one's I typically
get from Toy-R-Us, but you'll need to adjust for your NC.

Thank you! That's perfect!

Crayon bank rockets are a lot of fun I have 5 or 6 myself, they start at 1" diam flying on C's to a 6.5" diam that flys on J's

I have never done a rocsim on one, but my guess might be dont use a nose cone in the sim. draw out a Transition. you know measure the large diam the small diam, and how long it is... just an idea.

One thing I would like to suggest. if you are using the "ralphco" crayon bank (they have a new name now) the ones that are available at Toys r us. glue does not like to stick to the nose cone. I have used a long eyebolt with great success. drill a hole in the tip. a couple fender washers, and a few extra nuts to add some nose weight. if you make the eye bolt long enough you can connect your recovery system right to it, and it will never fail! If that does not make sense just ask I can take some pics..

As for the coin slot. Keep it simple slap some duct tape over it from the inside. seems to work just fine!

Happy flying!

Crayon bank rockets are a lot of fun I have 5 or 6 myself, they start at 1" diam flying on C's to a 6.5" diam that flys on J's

I have never done a rocsim on one, but my guess might be dont use a nose cone in the sim. draw out a Transition. you know measure the large diam the small diam, and how long it is... just an idea.

One thing I would like to suggest. if you are using the "ralphco" crayon bank (they have a new name now) the ones that are available at Toys r us. glue does not like to stick to the nose cone. I have used a long eyebolt with great success. drill a hole in the tip. a couple fender washers, and a few extra nuts to add some nose weight. if you make the eye bolt long enough you can connect your recovery system right to it, and it will never fail! If that does not make sense just ask I can take some pics..

As for the coin slot. Keep it simple slap some duct tape over it from the inside. seems to work just fine!

Happy flying!

I was kind of thinking about using some gorilla epoxy to put a bulkhead inside the nosecone on that little brim on the inside of it. Then putting a screw eye in the bulkhead. I'm going to make my centering rings, and test out my new scroll saw:cool:

I was kind of thinking about using some gorilla epoxy to put a bulkhead inside the nosecone on that little brim on the inside of it. Then putting a screw eye in the bulkhead. I'm going to make my centering rings, and test out my new scroll saw:cool:

I have done that before too, works just as well! enjoy the new shop tools!

The only reason I like using the long EYE bolt, its easy to add a few extra nuts, for some nose weight

I have done that before too, works just as well! enjoy the new shop tools!

The only reason I like using the long EYE bolt, its easy to add a few extra nuts, for some nose weight

Yeah, I need the nose weight too, I was thinking as a little joke put a few pennies in the nose. :roll: I'm not sure how I'd keep the forward though.:rolleyes:

You could put little streamers on them and let it rain pennies from heaven!

:roll:
There's a thought.I was thinking maybe I could just put a little epoxy in a cup, then put the pennies in the epoxy, cut the cup off and glue the expoxy pocket change glob to the inside of the nosecone!

Happy flying!

I did my level 1 and 2 on Crayon banks. I left the slot open on both, the whistle well, also I did not glue the bulkhead in on mine, this lets me change weight in the NC if necessary. I just made the bulkhead large enough to be held in by the "lip" in the NC, and the plastic is flexible enough to bend to put the bulkhead in at an angle, then pull it flat.
https://members.cox.net/shortckt4/Rockets1.html#crayon

View attachment crayon.bmp

Baby-Crayon.JPG.jpg

crayon launch.jpg

Got my crayon and some 5mm ply
:D

DSCN0744.jpg

DSCN0746.jpg

Cut the threads off the NC with an X-acto blade.
DSCN0797.jpg

Designed fins with rocksim, printed the template and drew them on the ply wood.

You could put little streamers on them and let it rain pennies from heaven!

♪ You'll find your fortune fallin' all over the... rocket range? ♪

For those of you that don't get it, it's an old Frank Sinatra song.

Last edited:
PML 3.9 coupler centering rings and bulkheads
are a perfect match for Ralphco Crayons.

Gorilla glue sticks to the nosecone very good
if you first scuff the inside of that little 'lip'
with 80 grit sandpaper.

Leave the coin slot open, makes for a
cool whistle...
:D

Here's a couple Rocksims...

Okay, cool!
However, I did buy enough plywood to make my own CR's so I think I will try that.

If this goes over well I was considering a dual deployment crayon sometime in the future.

You should have a blast flying your crayon upscaler. I've been flying on just like your quite a while now.

Mine is of coarse a 5- D12 cluster but that's plenty for my taste. with clear polycarbonate fins it's a great looking bird in the air as well.
Epoxy rivet method attachment of fins to the polyproplene bottom and motor mount have shown no signs of wear over all this time and flights.
Hope you have as much fun as I have.

171c3-sm_Crayon 5D midflight_09-96.jpg

171c4-sm_5D Crayon_Under canopy_09-96.jpg

Attachments

• 171a-sm_Crayon 5D_Clu Odd-Roc_08-14-95.jpg
    171a-sm_Crayon 5D_Clu Odd-Roc_08-14-95.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 22
You should have a blast flying your crayon upscaler. I've been flying on just like your quite a while now.

Mine is of coarse a 5- D12 cluster but that's plenty for my taste. with clear polycarbonate fins it's a great looking bird in the air as well.
Epoxy rivet method attachment of fins to the polyproplene bottom and motor mount have shown no signs of wear over all this time and flights.
Hope you have as much fun as I have.

Wow, our fleets seem to be similar.

I was looking at some lexan for the fins but decided i'd do that next time.

5 D's? Wow, I bet that gets some real nice flights! I was thinking a single 38mm should do the trick. :D

I think I'm going to build a fliskits crayon too, just to get a new MMX rocket;)

Got some stuff done.
got my TN
DSCN1246.jpg

Forward CR/ shock cord mount
DSCN1247.jpg

Complete ring
DSCN1249.jpg

tied using Vern's knot technique.
DSCN1250.jpg

MY 3 year old brother took this one. It's me sanding the fins.
DSCN1252.jpg

gotta love the Sammy Hagar shirt. :D

As a matter a fact. I do have a toys r us crayon piggy bank (A.KA rocket). My son an I went to a rocket show in central OH. He wants me to build it.Any pictures or advise you can spare would be great.I am using clear plexiglass fins. An I would like to keep it kind of low 150-300ft other than that its rocket science.

As a matter a fact. I do have a toys r us crayon piggy bank (A.KA rocket). My son an I went to a rocket show in central OH. He wants me to build it.Any pictures or advise you can spare would be great.I am using clear plexiglass fins. An I would like to keep it kind of low 150-300ft other than that its rocket science.

If you do a search of TRF you'll find many threads on the subject.;)

Back