crayon question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karatekicker271

Reaction score
With my crayon bank, I have the tip (nose cone) part, and on the other end is like a plastic "erasor" looking thing, ya'll know what I mean. My question is, when I build this to I keep the bottom part on or do I take it off and trash it?? Thanks

Connor

i took mine off and glued it right to the cardboard part

I kept mine on too. Slotted it just like I would any other tube for the fins. I decided it was more important to keep it that way for the overall effect... Actually I built the fin can so it stuck halfway out the bottom of the main tube & then the plastic "cap" slides on (& attached with polyurethane glue) to cover everything up. :D

I leave the end caps off, because of the difficulty of gluing anything to them. also they make nice covers to keep the burned propellant smell in the rocket so the wife doesn't complain. she doesn't mind that the living room is overrun with crayon rockets.

Where do you guys get those plastic crayons?
Especially the bigger ones.
Looks like a fun project.

Greg

Dang. No Toys R Us.
Can't go to Red Neck Macy's.
Dollar General I can do.
Thanks,
Greg

You guys actually put FINS on your crayons. I just got 2, 5" diameter crayons and I’m going to do something different. I will use two 29mm tubes and mount them canted and twisted of each other. This will spin the rocket like mad. Eliminating the need for fins. Then I can use 2 G75Js or 2 H97Js then I can drag race them. Of course I have to make a test version first with a 3" tube and two E9s.

Im going to use lexan for my fins... and my mtor mount i play to use is.....

(1) Central 29mm
(4) 24mm around it

I got my CR's from BMS, and will be getting them in September!

Connor

Originally posted by Micromister
Epoxy them in.

Attachment: 171c1-sm_crayon 5d_ liftoff_06-97.jpg
This has been downloaded 27 time(s).
What I said in the header.

Greg

Originally posted by ClusterWiz
I will use two 29mm tubes and mount them canted and twisted of each other. This will spin the rocket like mad. Eliminating the need for fins.

Please do let us know how this turns out?

The reason I ask is, I have done small 'spinning' rockets by airfoiling the fins to generate the spin. The rocket makes it off the end of the launch rod easily enough and appeared to spin up pretty quickly in flight. Had a little wobble, but flew straight for the most part.

On a bigger, heavier rocket using canted thrust, I am not sure if it will fight itself while still hung on the launch rod/rail. If the rocket is big enough to need much stability assistance, you are going to have to tilt the motors quite a bit to generate the necessary spin, and the rocket will still be held by the launcher when the motors are at peak thrust. Maybe a tower launcher of some kind would allow the rocket to spin?

I would really like to hear how well spin stability works for larger modrocks

powderburner is right, let us know how this turns out, if it works fine, I might have to try it:)

Latest posts

Back