Crayon bank rocket build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redsox15

Reaction score
Hi all,

It is time for my next project. I have had a crayon bank lying around for a long time now and I figured why not make it into a rocket. It is 6" in diameter and 29" tall. This will be my first dual deploy rocket. I have attached the rocksim file for anyone to look at and comment on. One modifcation I am making to the bank is giving it some internal strength by putting a cardboard tube inside of the bank.

Pictures to come once I start the project
Feel free to comment on the RockSim file,

Matt

View attachment Crayon rocket 2.rkt

Ok...building has finally begun but first...

For those who followed my LOC Phantom Build I have attached a picture of the finished product. It flew wonderfully for my level one cert but it lost a couple inches due to a minor zipper on its second flight.

Anyway back to the crayon

I cut the crayon into three sections...fin can, sliver for av-bay and the nose cone. By themselves they are pretty flimsy so tomorrow I will be cutting some concrete form tubing to fit inside the pieces.

Matt

Phantom 002.jpg

Phantom 004.jpg

Phantom 006.jpg

Look no further....

Toys R' Us stores is selling 3.78" dia crayon banks for $7.
With the tube and plastic nose cone (bottom removed) they weigh just over 300 grams.

ok finally got back to work on the rocket

today I cut the concrete form to length for the fin can then i cut a section out of it so that it would fit inside the crayon

this will be the last post for a while because i go back to school on sunday.

PS the rocket is no longer dual deploy because I am a college freshman who needs to pay for books before altimeters. Hopefully the next rocket i build will have dual deployment.

Matt

cut tube 1.jpg

cut tube 2.jpg

cut tube 3.jpg

the next step for this rocket is to cut the other section of tube for the nose cone. After that I will start on the motor mount and fins. That will all happen during my next break from school

matt

my mom bought one for my brothers and i when we were about 2 so that is 16 years ago so who knows if they are still produced. It hadn't held coins in along time...time to use it for the next best thing. :D

matt

that is probably where my mom got ours as well lol we got pictures taken of my brothers and i with our crayons (when we were little of course)

Ya it is a bit of a challenge with the plastic because it does not cut as well as cardboard was but the build is on hold for a little while since I am away at college and will not be able to get back to work on it until mid march. I will have plenty of pictures of the progressing build once I am back home.

Matt

Got home for my spring break from college on friday looking forward to continuing work on the crayon rocket BUT thanks to all of this lovely rain we are getting my basement is flooded :y:. No worries all rockets and supplies are safe. Once the water is gone I will hopefully get back to work on it by wednesday and more pictures of course :D

Matt

OK all the water is gone, time for some progress!!

This morning I cut out my fins. Later today I'm going to cut out the centering rings once that is done assembly begins! :w:

Matt

Fin1.jpg

OK all the water is gone, time for some progress!!

This morning I cut out my fins. Later today I'm going to cut out the centering rings once that is done assembly begins! :w:

Matt

Nice fins! What did you use to cut them out?

I have my fins and my jigsaw but I'm too lazy to cut them right now :roll:

I used a scroll saw to cut them out then used the belt sander to smooth everything out.

I cut out my centering rings this afternoon and will post the pictures later today

More pictures to come...

Matt

I used a scroll saw to cut them out then used the belt sander to smooth everything out.

I cut out my centering rings this afternoon and will post the pictures later today

More pictures to come...

Matt

Sounds good, do you have a drill bit close to the size of your tubing? I'd recommend one to make the center holes.

UPscaler: I did find a 1.5in drill bit (which is pretty close to outer diameter of a 38mm tube) but it did not spin straight so what I did was drill a pilot hole then use the scroll saw to do the rest. Slow and steady wins the race. They came out nicely considering they were cut free hand.

Here are some pictures,

The first one is the jig I used/made to make sure my centering rings were circular and smooth

The next one is of all the centering rings and bulkheads that I cut

The third picture is the bulkhead in the top of the nose cone.

There are two extra bulkheads cut so that there was a place to attach a U-bolt for the shock chord mount.

One of the bulkheads will have holes in it to let the ejection gas through.

That is all for now, I am going back to school tomorrow but once I get back the assembly will start on the MMT and then I will start making the parachute.

To be continued....

Matt

circle finishing jig.jpg

centering rings and bulkheads.jpg

bulkhead in NC.jpg

UPscaler: I did find a 1.5in drill bit (which is pretty close to outer diameter of a 38mm tube) but it did not spin straight so what I did was drill a pilot hole then use the scroll saw to do the rest. Slow and steady wins the race. They came out nicely considering they were cut free hand.

Here are some pictures,

The first one is the jig I used/made to make sure my centering rings were circular and smooth

The next one is of all the centering rings and bulkheads that I cut

The third picture is the bulkhead in the top of the nose cone.

There are two extra bulkheads cut so that there was a place to attach a U-bolt for the shock chord mount.

One of the bulkheads will have holes in it to let the ejection gas through.

That is all for now, I am going back to school tomorrow but once I get back the assembly will start on the MMT and then I will start making the parachute.

To be continued....

Matt
Those are nicely cut,come back to us soon!

Ok I'm home for the long easter weekend so I got some work done today on the fin slots. Used the dremel to cut them out.

First picture are the fin slots (rocket held by my brother)

Second picture is a little teaser of the final product :D

Hoping to get some work done on the fin can on monday

and of course pictures of that

Matt

Fin Slots.jpg

Test Fit.jpg

I was thinking along the lines of these ones!

https://www.greatbigstuff.com/crayon.html

I think the price is a bit overkill though.

There's a guy on ebay that sells that size crayon for about $15.
I'll have to find the link. I bought 6 of them a few years ago. I was going to kit them out them sell them but I never got around to it.
Now my son(6) wants to me to build him one. Add to the build pile. :)

Back