Cracking Fillets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan S.

Reaction score
I was looking over my V2 the other day when I noticed the fillets on 3 of the fins were cracked.

Is this going to cause a problem? I doubt the fins will tear off, because there are internal fillets, a generous amount of epoxy was used on the motor mount, and the boatail was filled with expanding foam. The only problems I can see it causing are giving the fins more flex, and cracking my paint job.

Do you guys think it is going to be a big deal or should I leave it? I am thinking leave it because even if I do reglue it it is going to come off agian because nothing sticks to that plastic, and the fins are really on there underneath the surface.

Your V2 should be okay. The most that will happen, is some paint chipping from the fins flexing a bit. My Graduator has had cracked fillets since it's first flight (it's the older version with tabs through the wall, but not to the mmt). I just wick some thin CA into the cracks every few flights, and cover it up with a black marker.

Back