COX Saturn 1B (modification)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Reaction score
I realize that only few people own this vintage COX model rocket but since I fly mine and try to make them fly safer I thought I would post a modification that I did to my model.
Maybe some here have the same model and would like to do the modification as well.

The rocket:
COX_Saturn_1B_Complete_Leo_N.jpg

The dangerous part about these type of rockets is that they are prone to lawn darting because the eject charge is unable to deploy the recovery system. This is mostly due to the ejection gases leaking through openings and cracks in the plastic.
A simple solution is to use a body tube as a core, holding the engine and transferring the ejection gases to the parachute compartment.
To accomplish this I designed and 3D printed 2 parts. A disk adapter for the parachute compartment and an adapter for the lower end of the rocket.
COX_Saturn_1B_Printed_Parts_Leo_N.jpg

I took a BT-20 body tube and cut it to the appropriate length. I also added an engine hook for convenience.
COX_Saturn_1B_Layout_Leo_N.jpg

First thin was to epoxy the ring adapter to the body tube.
COX_Saturn_1B_Top_Glued_Leo_N.jpg

Then insert the body tube into the rocket.
COX_Saturn_1B_View_Top_Leo_N.jpg

Lastly I added some epoxy the other end of the body tube and inserted the lower adapter.
COX_Saturn_1B_View_Bottom_Leo_N.jpg

Now I can safely fly this rocket :)

That’s nice, is it possible for you to put the parts on shapeways or see if Boyce will make them available? They have a replacement top for the rocket I assume because if the lawn darting.

I will publish the parts on Thingiverse. Link to follow soon.....

Yikes, I completely forgot about this! Will post here when I have everything uploaded..... promise! :)

What motor do you use with your modification?

I have been flying a Cox Saturn 1B every once-in-a-while since 1990. I fly it with either a D12-5 or an E15-7W. No issues for me.

I'm using Klima D9-3 or Klima D9-5 motors. I think the new Estes C5-3 motors should work as well.

He was on FB asking how much it could be worth. Some person suggested they would pay $500 (if the wife would agree).
I can't see myself paying more than $50 only because the incorrect pattern hurts my eyes.

I believe scarcity along with condition comes into play. However, the Saturn V has been sold for less in the cellophane wrap before. This IS too high.

I have always wanted the COX Saturn 1B and Saturn V. This is what inspired me to do my 3D printing of the Apollo rockets. I also have another idea of what to try to make, but I don't know how well it will work out. So I will keep it secret for now :D

I'm using Klima D9-3 or Klima D9-5 motors. I think the new Estes C5-3 motors should work as well.

Lucky you. Getting those Klima D9 motors. 😎

I am not sure I would trust the CURRENT Estes C5-3 motors in that model.

I got into contact with Leo within the last two weeks and he made me these two adapters for my Cox Saturn 1b. You are the man Leo and thank you!!
IMG_0001_5.JPG

The 1990's Cox Saturn 1B was my first model rocket kit. I think it was Christmas '96 or '97 that I got it. First launch was using the cluster of 2x C6's. Only one lit, and never saw the model again!

Fast forward 25 years and I picked up another 1B boxed and unused. Not flown it yet, and had some reservations due to it's age and rarity, but I've not got the 3d printed parts to do this mod, and hope to get it launched later this year. I'm going to use Klima D9-5's, so looking forward to it.

Quick question - how much wadding are you using on this model, especially since the mod? Thanks all.

Cool! If you are using the mod then just use enough wadding to protect the parachute as if were using it like on a regular BT-20 based rocket. I would also switch to a regular Estes parachute just to save the Cox chute of any damage and keep it mint.

@Steven : Any progress?

Cool! If you are using the mod then just use enough wadding to protect the parachute as if were using it like on a regular BT-20 based rocket. I would also switch to a regular Estes parachute just to save the Cox chute of any damage and keep it mint.

@Steven : Any progress?
Great, thanks. I'm assuming you load the wadding in the BT-20 tube then?

Not yet. The parts you sent me along with the BT-20 tube now reside inside the original Saturn 1-b box.

Got round to doing this mod today. First flight in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it IMG20220905173904.jpgIMG20220905173909.jpg

Have any flights taken place?
First 'flight' of mine was September 2022. Went up on a single C6-5, but it arced over and crashed before the ejection charge could go off.

Damage wasn't too bad, but I got a replacement top section from Boyce. Not had time to sort anything yet, but it will fly again.

I think my error was too low powered motor. It was quite a windy day and didn't want to try it on a Klima. Oh well.

That is sad. I'm afraid to say you chose the wrong delay. Should have been a Klima C6-3.

Back