Cox Honest John shock cord retainer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relative Dimensions

Reaction score
Just received my Cox Honest John today, but I noticed that he shock cord retainer wire is missing in the body, anyone have a suggestion as to how I can remedy this?

Make one. Is there a pic of it? Small music wire or even a paper clip might be used.
I had that model in the 1970's. The wire was about .025" diameter, maybe smaller.

The shape was sort of like an "Ohm" symbol, like an upside down "U" with horizontal legs added. The horizontal legs fit into two holes in the insides of the plastic body. IIRC, it was along the seam (body made in 2 clamshell parts then glued together (?) ). If so, almost impossible to put a replacement into it, as that would been done during manufacture when the tube clamshells were glued together.

You could just use 100 pound Kevlar and "Lariat loop" it to the lower part of the motor casing, if the kevlar will allow the motor to slide in. Might be an issue with the retainer clip though, hopefully the clip can go on last and hold the motor in properly.

The shape was sort of like an "Ohm" symbol, like an upside down "U" with horizontal legs added. The horizontal legs fit into two holes in the insides of the plastic body. IIRC, it was along the seam (body made in 2 clamshell parts then glued together (?) ). If so, almost impossible to put a replacement into it, as that would been done during manufacture when the tube clamshells were glued together.
1654646539881.png

Back