Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Translated, “It will be fully approved and no longer experimental”?
BINGO and will probably be 100% mandated by the military for active duty, reserves, and national guard.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
BINGO and will probably be 100% mandated by the military for active duty, reserves, and national guard.
I was thinking that may not go over well for the military, but since all the other shots are mandatory (are they still doing smallpox?) I guess its routine. Although they may have to plan on either light or no duty for “the day or days after.”

i know you are Army strong, but as a former AF Flight Doc, I wonder how long they DNIFed (for the non military out there, “Duties Not Including Flying”, aka “grounded”) aircrew members after the shot?

Covid also probably made for a really weird first year for the Academy cadets and mids. Although I think political correctness has probably already turned it into something those from the 20th century wouldn’t even recognize. Maybe that’s a good thing. Although Admiral Stockdale said that training was what got him through his POW hell experience.

NateB

Reaction score
i know you are Army strong, but as a former AF Flight Doc, I wonder how long they DNIFed (for the non military out there, “Duties Not Including Flying”, aka “grounded”) aircrew members after the shot?
I heard similar concerns from some of our pilots. I never heard what their flight surgeon said about it. As medical crew we are not considered aircrew members by the FAA, but we were told to get our shots so we at least had the next day off duty. They didn't want us working being sore or groggy from it.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
I was thinking that may not go over well for the military, but since all the other shots are mandatory (are they still doing smallpox?) I guess its routine. Although they may have to plan on either light or no duty for “the day or days after.”

Covid also probably made for a really weird first year for the Academy cadets and mids. Although I think political correctness has probably already turned it into something those from the 20th century wouldn’t even recognize. Maybe that’s a good thing. Although Admiral Stockdale said that training was what got him through his POW hell experience.
I have mixed feelings about mandating the vaccine. I think some leaders are taking the wrong route to convince civilian leaders to mandate it. They are using the mask and mass training as a reason to mandate. I do not feel those are reasons. I think readiness and less absentee is a good reason.

NateB

Reaction score
I read an article in CNN this morning that Pfizer expects to seek a EUA for children over 2 in September. That should certainly help some of the concerns about keeping the schools open too.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
I read an article in CNN this morning that Pfizer expects to seek a EUA for children over 2 in September. That should certainly help some of the concerns about keeping the schools open too.
Yes. i think may come before September.

Ez2cDave

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about mandating the vaccine. I think some leaders are taking the wrong route to convince civilian leaders to mandate it. They are using the mask and mass training as a reason to mandate. I do not feel those are reasons. I think readiness and less absentee is a good reason.
The vaccine approval process . . . From BOTH the CDC and FDA.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/basics/test-approve.html

https://www.fda.gov/vaccines-blood-...approval-process-cber/vaccine-development-101

Dave F.

afadeev

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
12+ EUA is today:

However, my local vaccination sites still haven't updated their appointment qualification criteria to reflect the new minimal age.

Marc_G

Reaction score
12+ EUA is today:

However, my local vaccination sites still haven't updated their appointment qualification criteria to reflect the new minimal age.
One more layer of approval is pending. Should be complete Wednesday. Then states can start offering it to 12+. See here:

Marc_G

Reaction score
I should be able to sign my 13 year old son for the Pfizer vaccine tomorrow morning.

Meanwhile, here's a nice article putting the very rare J&J clotting issue into context, with math supporting how risk of unvaccinated folks dying of COVID-19 is 40x the risk of vaccinated folks dying of the clotting issue.

BDB

Absent Minded Professor
Reaction score
My 13 yr old son just received the first dose of Pfizer this afternoon. My 12 yr old daughter would have received it too, but she had a tetanus shot last week. I'm now hearing that the CDC may be lifting the 14-days-between-vaccinations rule, so she will hopefully be making some spike proteins in the next couple days too.

OverTheTop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Australia has just signed up for the Moderna vaccine. We currently do AstraZeneca and Pfizer. People are hesitant for the AZ due to severe clotting problems. 11 in 1.4 million so far.

boatgeek

Reaction score
We just got an announcement that the Seattle Fire Department will be at all of the middle and high schools in town giving vaccines over the next week or two. They're apparently bringing enough for 80% of the student body at each school, so it'll be quite an operation.

Seattle's main mass vax site topped out at about 9,000 shots/day. I think they're running a little lower than that now, due to lack of demand.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
We just got an announcement that the Seattle Fire Department will be at all of the middle and high schools in town giving vaccines over the next week or two. They're apparently bringing enough for 80% of the student body at each school, so it'll be quite an operation.

Seattle's main mass vax site topped out at about 9,000 shots/day. I think they're running a little lower than that now, due to lack of demand.
Demand is down all over. I think the order to make it mandatory for the military will come in June. That is an educated guess. I have no inside sources on this one.

BDB

Absent Minded Professor
Reaction score
My university is planning to mandate vaccination for our students in the Fall, but our lawyers have told us that we cannot do that until it has been approved by the FDA--not just emergency use. Once that happens (in the next month or so), I think we will see lots of employers start mandating it.

Cl(VII)

Chris Bender, Lab Rat
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
My 12 year old gets his first shot Saturday, then just the 10 yo left in our crew.

Last edited:
Reactions: BDB

boatgeek

Reaction score
WA peaked at a little over 60K shots in one day. Our 7-day average is now down around 45K. On the plus side, 57% of the population 16 and over has had at least one shot so herd immunity is in sight.

NateB

Reaction score
Good news:

CDC just issued a statement citing studies showing that fully vaccinated people are unlikely to transmit Covid-19 in the event of a breakthrough infection.

Hopefully I can find the study and share it.

Edit: Here is the cited Isreali study on vaccine effectiveness.

And the updated CDC guidelines on mask wearing and social distancing for those who are fully vaccinated.

And the first article from CNN.

Edit again: still looking for the other studies she referenced about viral loads and transmission.

Last edited:

DEmery

Reaction score
CDC finally acknowledges what the rest of us assumed to be true months ago. What other vaccine have we assumed you were still infectious?

NateB

Reaction score
I assumed this to be the case, but I also understand the concern and the reasons for conducting a study and showing proof. Vaccines aren't a shield that prevents illness, the germ that causes the illness can still replicate while the immune system is fighting it off. Vaccines speed this up and usually prevent or reduce symptoms. That's goal 1. Goal 2 is keeping the viral load low enough that transmission is reduced and it looks like these vaccines do that as well.

Marc_G

Reaction score
And in the news, here is a story about folks who profit from spreading misinformation. These people sicken me, literally:

Marc_G

Reaction score
Good news:

CDC just issued a statement citing studies showing that fully vaccinated people are unlikely to transmit Covid-19 in the event of a breakthrough infection.

Hopefully I can find the study and share it.

Edit: Here is the cited Isreali study on vaccine effectiveness.

And the updated CDC guidelines on mask wearing and social distancing for those who are fully vaccinated.

And the first article from CNN.

Edit again: still looking for the other studies she referenced about viral loads and transmission.
My concern with the new guidance is that non-vaccinated folks and in particular the anti vax anti mask crowd will "masquerade" as having been vaccinated. If I'm standing near someone unmasked in the grocery store how do I know their vax status? I don't. So I would prefer if they had kept mask requirements for all until herd immunity--or something close to it-- is reached. Masks are not a burden for most people.

modeltrains

Reaction score
Based on the numbers from India, I would be very afraid.
I am definitely concerned for friends there.
News from India via email from them about 14 hours ago;

The situation is getting better here mainly i guess because there aren't too many left to get infected anyway! Lockdown helps, but once again, if it is not done at the beginning of the rise of the graph but at the peak, the damage control is not what it should be.
Anyway, it seems our variant is getting infamous all over the world!!!!
https://epaper.hindustantimes.com/Home/MShareArticle?OrgId=135c40354bd&imageview=0

I have finally started reducing steroids yesterday with the aim to stopping after a week. Even if just psychologically, it feels good to be going forward with healing. It rained today with cool high winds, was such a happy weather morning, now the sun is out but it is still a good day.
Some tests have improved, some still not, but as long as the momentum is maintained, its okay. The oxygen level is also marginally better, the doctor has warned me of doing too much too soon lest I end up with worse oxygen than during active disease so I am resting a lot and moving real slow so as not to increase my oxygen demand. Me and slow kinda don't hang out well with each other lol! Breathing exercises are such a terrible bore too but essential and are probably going to be a part of my day for some months at least. The lungs will need to be repaired and strengthened. I think I have been real lucky to be able to stay out of hospital and real lucky to have such a good doctor

NateB

Reaction score
My concern with the new guidance is that non-vaccinated folks and in particular the anti vax anti mask crowd will "masquerade" as having been vaccinated. If I'm standing near someone unmasked in the grocery store how do I know their vax status? I don't. So I would prefer if they had kept mask requirements for all until herd immunity--or something close to it-- is reached. Masks are not a burden for most people.
This is my opinion only, but I don't think we will get to herd immunity or close to it, not in Indiana.

NateB

Reaction score
If the vaccines are showing to be effective at preventing illness, hospitalization, and disease transmission, and our hospitals aren't overwhelmed - let people take the risk for themselves. I do feel bad for those who cannot get a vaccine and want one, they can certainly mask up to protect themselves, but are still at the mercy of those who won't take any steps to protect others and the inevitable harassment for wearing one.

DEmery

Reaction score
If I’m in a store and the person next to me is not wearing a mask, I don’t care. I’m vaccinated.
And the crap that many people wear, like bandannas and cloth masks don’t work for aerosolized viruses anyway.

modeltrains

Reaction score
I wonder if this from February has been resolved yet,

Common programming failures that make sites hard to use for the visually impaired included text without enough contrast to distinguish words from the page’s background and images without alternative text explaining what they showed, the WebAIM survey showed. Even worse, portions of the forms on 19 states’ pages were built so that screen readers couldn’t decipher what information a user should enter on search bars or vaccine registration forms.