Covid Vaccines

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Bowman

Reaction score
Traditionally true, but also likely a very real threat to the health of their patients, the doctors’ families, as well as the doctors themselves. The doctor (and particularly surgeon) “Macho Man” mentality needs to go the way of leeching.

although rarely leeching is still useful

After becoming fully engorged, the leech detaches naturally, and the appendage continues to bleed for an average of 10 hours, resulting in a blood loss of about 120 grams.
So what is done with the engorged leeches?
Are they thrown out with other hazardous medical waste or fed to very well nourished fish?
Or can they be recycled?

Ez2cDave

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
50% of American's say they will not get the vaccine. How many will get the booster?
Well, based on those statistics, probably only 50% ( of the total population ), maximum, likely less.

Dave F.

OverTheTop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So what is done with the engorged leeches?
Are they thrown out with other hazardous medical waste or fed to very well nourished fish?
Or can they be recycled?
After each leach is satiated and falls off the patient they are placed in a saline solution where they regurgitate the blood and can be reapplied to the patient. I am not sure what happens to them after that patient no longer needs them. I suspect they are euthanased so you can't cross-contaminate patients.

FYI the leeches are bred especially for this.

Reinhard

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
50% of American's say they will not get the vaccine. How many will get the booster?
The older half of the population has already exceeded that for first doses. The 65+ group seems to level out at slightly above 80%. Not sure what younger, less vulnerable folks will be doing, but at least there is no sign yet that any group age slows down well before reaching 50%.
1618953061187.png

Source:

Reinhard

afadeev

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The older half of the population has already exceeded that for first doses. The 65+ group seems to level out at slightly above 80%. Not sure what younger, less vulnerable folks will be doing, but at least there is no sign yet that any group age slows down well before reaching 50%.
View attachment 460722

Source:

Reinhard
Good data source, thanks.

Here is another one that details declared vaccine hesitancy, as of 3/8/21:

... and a handy graph that illustrates change in that sentiment, over time:
1618973313960.png

And another than breaks down vaccine intensions by age (varies, a bit unexpectedly), politics (varies as expected), education (varies as expected), race (similar), gender (similar):

As to the hold-outs are, if anyone is curious, the answer is pretty obvious:

Last edited:

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
View attachment 460722

Source:

Reinhard
Thanks for the source. My population is a bit younger than normal so that maybe why it is less than 50-60%

boatgeek

Reaction score
View attachment 460722

Source:

Reinhard
If you squint at the graph hard enough, there might have already been an inflection point for ages 18-29. It might just be a blip in the data though.

modeltrains

Reaction score
Have internet friends in India from writing and spaceflight groups back in the days of Google Plus & a couple of them are currently living the thing about getting the vaccine then later getting covid.
I don't have info on how much of the rest of their family got vaccinated, but here's this from email today, they have 2 college age daughters and one of them now has covid;
I have got fever too now. For now, it's not as intense as my husband's. Trying to keep it as mild as possible. Mom, brother and hus family have it too. At this point there is hardly any house that doesn't have it! They have locked down now, should have been done a month ago, in my opinion. Nobody takes my opinion lol!

Funkworks

Reaction score
No vaccine is 100% effective.
I'm late to the party, but I don't get what this means. In case anyone's interested, I looked it up quickly:

"Overall efficacy"
Pfizer-Biotech: 95%
Moderna: 94%
J&J: 66%

The more people take a vaccine, the less will go to hostpital, and the faster a normal economy will be back on track. It's about statistics and probability, not certainty. Anyway, I won't be debating this. Cheers.

ksaves2

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Ummmmm, I'm of a conservative bent generally leaning towards republican and got the first injection with my 26 y/o son (who has autistic spectrum disorder) a few weeks ago. Getting the second one this Saturday. Am only 64 but my "in" was being a cancer survivor and I didn't know mental handicap qualified my son. When I was called we both could get it at the same time is when I found out he was qualified to get it too. Oh, I refuse to discuss partisan politics on this board so don't try to bait me.
As to why a certain political bent won't get the vaccine should be broken down into subgroups for example like education level, occupation and age to name a few.

Myself I practiced medicine for over 30 years and just retired last July. That's why my priority for the vaccine dropped down and I didn't try to pull strings to cut in front of the line. I was happily holed up at home. Also the reason I will take any vaccine that's needed. (Scientific enlightenment?)

I also had a virologist professor in med school who said he volunteered to take all sorts of kinds of vaccines in clinical trials.
Mentioned he'd sometimes get some uncomfortable side effects but never anything life threatening. Also said his serum protein electrophoresis had "all sorts of spikes" (antibodies) in the pattern from taking so many vaccines.

I took an "off beat" vaccine for Lyme disease, LYMERix some years ago and it didn't give me any side effects. It's no longer available as it's dirt cheap to treat Lyme disease if picked up early. I'm likely not immune now but no matter. I don't spend much time around whitetail deer anymore.

Kurt

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
I'm late to the party, but I don't get what this means. In case anyone's interested, I looked it up quickly:

"Overall efficacy"
Pfizer-Biotech: 95%
Moderna: 94%
J&J: 66%

The more people take a vaccine, the less will go to hostpital, and the faster a normal economy will be back on track. It's about statistics and probability, not certainty. Anyway, I won't be debating this. Cheers.
That's a good question. I think I was replying to a post that doesn't exist. Carry on!

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
A more useful post:

In Maryland, 67% of the population has had at least one shot. That is equal to 87% of adults, or maybe 85% of people eligible (16+ years). I think we're about a month away from being able to say that every eligible person who is going to get vaccinated has gotten it. Next we need it for kids.

Marc_G

Reaction score
Indiana is at about 35% of population has had at least 1 dose. I don't have age demographics handy so can't say what percentage of eligible people that is, but it is likely around 40-42% of 16+ people, or somewhere near that.

There is a LOT of hesitancy here.

EDIT: Following my Pfizer #2 yesterday morning, today I have minor side effects: moderately tender injection site, lots of fatigue (but, I was able to work in my home office) and some body aches that Tylenol helped with. So far so good.

maddmaxx11

Reaction score
A lady in Nashville was paralyzed from the shoulders down 24 hours after getting her 2nd Pfizer shot.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
A lady in Nashville was paralyzed from the shoulders down 24 hours after getting her 2nd Pfizer shot.
found this:

also found this (from Dec 2020):

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
All of the stories I can find indicated that there was no confirmation it was related to the vaccine. But if you pull up her cached tweets:

She claimed 5 days ago that it had already been confirmed, then separately that there is another case in Cleveland with the same outcome (and in the news article that dr wogz links, she says the other case was in Pittsburgh?).

1619543302269.png

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
found this:

also found this (from Dec 2020):
Neither of these are unexpected and would likely improve as inflammation recedes.

timbucktoo

Staff member
TRF Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score

boatgeek

Reaction score
Probably can’t legally do that. I think that’s called discrimination.
This might be the one time when the FL plan to prevent businesses from discriminating based on COVID vaccination status would be a good thing for public health.