Covid Vaccines

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Marc_G

Reaction score
I'm on the Pfizer regimen, but due to projected dose availability my second dose will be 34 days after the first. Should be just fine.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
I'm on the Pfizer regimen, but due to projected dose availability my second dose will be 34 days after the first. Should be just fine.
Yes. 21 days is the recommended, but they have had people successfully immunized when the second dose was as far out as six months. 21 - 60 days is considered "acceptable."

Walgreens, who is dealing with both Moderna and Phizer, is just making all appointments 28 days apart.

boatgeek

Reaction score
Good data sources, but I am skeptical about CDC's projection of reaching 100% vaccination penetration by any fixed point in time. I don't see us ever getting there. At some point, the voluntary participation rate will taper off and flatline. Adoption rate will be more of an S-curve, than the exponential-to-linear model the CDC is projecting.
View attachment 457680
All good points. I definitely wasn't expecting to get to 100% of the adult population vaccinated. I'd be a little surprised if we cracked 70% of adults this year, for all of the uptake reasons mentioned. My brother in law is declining to get vaccinated--he doesn't think that COVID is that big a deal, and he's not sure the vaccine is safe. We'll see how long that holds up if my mother in law declines to have social events with him until he's vaccinated.

It'll be interesting to see how much of the uptake curve is a S and how much it has a hard corner. If people are rushing to get vaccinated until you're only left with the refusers, it might be the latter. When everyone who wants to be vaccinated has been, there will also be some interesting patterns based on political ideology.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My brother in law is declining to get vaccinated--he doesn't think that COVID is that big a deal, and he's not sure the vaccine is safe. We'll see how long that holds up if my mother in law declines to have social events with him until he's vaccinated.
I’m confused, is that a plus or a minus?

boatgeek

Reaction score
I’m confused, is that a plus or a minus?
Not actually sure. There are things that would be easier if she didn't want to do social stuff with her son, and things that would be harder. The longer it went, the harder it would get. Also, everything will likely depend on how the course of the disease goes. If his area tops out at 40% vaccination rates so the disease stays active, things are likely to be harder than if it dies out via herd immunity. Unfortunately, 40% is a totally reasonable vaccination final rate given current polling of vaccine hesitancy by political party.

I just got my first Moderna shot this morning. No side effects other than that my arm feels like it got a vaccination. A friend who just got the first Pfizer is reporting a new side effect--an uncontrollable urge to buy a Microsoft Surface tablet. :D

tab28682

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
No major issues after my second dose of Moderna. Very mild injection site soreness, redness and swelling the next morning. Felt a little blah with low energy and some minor joint and muscle soreness and spent the day relaxing and reading. Back at 100% today. Priming some rocket projects this afternoon.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
No major issues after my second dose of Moderna. Very mild injection site soreness, redness and swelling the next morning. Felt a little blah with low energy and some minor joint and muscle soreness and spent the day relaxing and reading. Back at 100% today. Priming some rocket projects this afternoon.
You are a part of the lucky 30% - Congrats!

Cl(VII)

Chris Bender, Lab Rat
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
I was back near full function by the afternoon after my 2nd Pfizer dose. I normally wake up fully by 6am, but that day more resembled the gradual fight to full consciousness I’m accustomed to seeing the rest of my family go through. I’m glad my shoulder hurt some, or I would have been wondering if I got saline given how mild my side effects were.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
I was back near full function by the afternoon after my 2nd Pfizer dose. I normally wake up fully by 6am, but that day more resembled the gradual fight to full consciousness I’m accustomed to seeing the rest of my family go through. I’m glad my shoulder hurt some, or I would have been wondering if I got saline given how mild my side effects were.
Thank you for getting vacinated.

JasonB

Reaction score
As a paramedic I have seen multiple people become ill after their second dose. Coincidence of course that is a possibility. All older folks. My Ret Marine Corp buddy got shingles a week after... one of my pt could not form a coherent sentence 2 days after. Was pruning out in the yard became numb in the face and couldnt talk. Obviously poss stroke. No medical hx other than being old. I have also had multiple pts become covid positive after the vaccine and employees at work. Whatever you do stay safe.

maddmaxx11

Reaction score
I had the 1st shot 5 days ago. Just tired for a few days. I may not get the 2nd shot. A friend yesterday told me his father (75) had the 2nd shot and it put him in the hospital and almost killed him. He had no other medical conditions. My sister also had major problems with the 2nd shot. I gues the question is how much will only one shot help me?

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
I had the 1st shot 5 days ago. Just tired for a few days. I may not get the 2nd shot. A friend yesterday told me his father (75) had the 2nd shot and it put him in the hospital and almost killed him. He had no other medical conditions. My sister also had major problems with the 2nd shot. I gues the question is how much will only one shot help me?
I have been responsible for immunizing over 100,000 and have trained folks to immunize close to a million, I have not seen a single serious side effect. That is a huge N. I am interested in more of what you mean by "almost killed him". The only reports I am seeing is some thrombocytopenia that is exceptionally rare. In fact, COVID is more likely to kill the young than the vaccine is to kill anyone.

maddmaxx11

Reaction score
Not sure what the problem was. I just know he was admitted to the hospital after the 2nd shot and my friend was preparing to get a flight back home but his dad got through it. He did not have any problems with the 1st shot.

Reinhard

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure what the problem was. I just know he was admitted to the hospital after the 2nd shot and my friend was preparing to get a flight back home but his dad got through it. He did not have any problems with the 1st shot.
Don't forget that stuff happens all the time.
Currently the US is vaccinating 4 million people per day. That's equivalent to the population of Oklahoma. The amount of people suffering medical problems within a day after receiving a dose is therefore at least as high as what happened on a given day in Oklahoma before the pandemic. Actually it's a bit higher, because vaccinations focus on older folks.
This is one of the challenges during big vaccine trials. The question is not wether serious medical issues appear, but wether more issues appear than would have appeared otherwise.

After carefully accounting for that - which is not easy with statistically rare events - it can be determined which adverse effects can be attributed to the vaccine. This risk not zero, but is dramatically outweighed by the risks of a potential COVID infection. Otherwise the vaccine wouldn't have been approved.

The threshold for acceptable risk varies a lot for different medications. Vaccines in particular need to be very safe because they will be given to billions of otherwise healthy individuals. A counter example is chemotherapy for cancer patients. Because it is only administered to a subset of the population with an otherwise bad prognosis, more serious side effects are acceptable - but only until a better treatment is found.

Reinhard

Last edited:

modeltrains

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I and many disabled people across the country weren’t witnessing a light at the end of the tunnel. Instead, we were tricked into continuing to barrel down the tunnel into a fire fueled by familiar institutional ableism. While the state of Pennsylvania recognizes my need for early vaccination on paper, the effort largely ends there. With no uniformity or accountability, county clinics have tiered phase 1A itself, refusing to vaccinate anyone under 65 regardless of high-risk status and devaluing the lives of those living with co-morbidities. Appointments at pharmacies are difficult to come by, occur at one day’s notice (the disabled nightmare: “No time to plan?!”) and demand constant monitoring combined with a quick draw at entering your information in a race against the local contingency of the estimated 3.5-4 million Pennsylvanians eligible for phase 1A. Providers are overrun to the point that many have disconnected their phone lines and cut digital lines of communication, fueling misinformation and confusion in those desperately looking for help. With no data published on the number of high-risk Pennsylvanians infected with COVID or being vaccinated, it’s likely we’ll never know the negative effect that this chaos will have on our community.

The aide who helped me get ready for my vaccination trip would test positive three days later, knocking me off of my vaccine high. Suddenly, the threat my aides posed to me had been pointed back at them and there was no good solution. Anyone who lives independently dependently knows the internalized ableism that materializes as guilt for asking for too much from others. Asking the people I love to knowingly expose themselves while waiting for my test results was something I hope to never need to do again. The longer this vaccination period lasts, the more disabled people face this same moral quandary.

Whether by a graciously timed immune response to the vaccine, a rare false positive, or more luck, I tested negative. I still have no plan for what to do the next time this happens, and I don’t believe there is one that has a positive outcome. Post-vaccine, I, like many disabled people, will remain inside and wait. We’ll gladly welcome the newly disabled long haulers into our community. However, the pandemic won’t depart carrying the crumbling healthcare infrastructure and institutional inequities it exposed. We can only hope that everyone else will be ready to join our long-standing calls for accountability and justice.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
The biggest problem that is fairly common after the second shot is hyperglycemia. It is transient.

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Getting my second Pfizer "Flauci Ouchie" on Thursday.
Oahu is still only doing 60 yrs. and above.
Neighbor islands are doing 16 and above.
WTF? Same state, different requirements in different counties?
Sheesh.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Getting my second Pfizer "Flauci Ouchie" on Thursday.
Oahu is still only doing 60 yrs. and above.
Neighbor islands are doing 16 and above.
WTF? Same state, different requirements in different counties?
Sheesh.
Locals like to flex their muscles.

OverTheTop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Australia is changing its recommendations for vaccination currently, with the AstraZeneca vaccine being limited to people above 50yo. Adverse reactions (clotting) occur at a rate of 4-6 per million, which is up to four times what the regular fluvax has for adverse reactions. The death rate for the people that get the adverse clotting reaction from the AZ vaccine is around 25%.

The AstraZeneca vaccine was the one that most Australians were going to receive.

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Australia is changing its recommendations for vaccination currently, with the AstraZeneca vaccine being limited to people above 50yo. Adverse reactions (clotting) occur at a rate of 4-6 per million, which is up to four times what the regular fluvax has for adverse reactions. The death rate for the people that get the adverse clotting reaction from the AZ vaccine is around 25%.

The AstraZeneca vaccine was the one that most Australians were going to receive.
Wonder why the risk for clots is higher in younger people?
Stronger immune system response?

boatgeek

Reaction score
Wonder why the risk for clots is higher in younger people?
Stronger immune system response?
I understood this as being a balancing act between whether the clots were more likely to kill someone or COVID. Since younger people tend not to be as affected by COVID, it changes the acceptable level of risk from the clots.

I could be wrong though!

stealth6

insert witty tagline here
Reaction score
I just got some good/exciting news (at least it was to me)......My workplace has been 100% pro-vaccination - with one exception. One relatively new hire was unsure and was pretty hesitant about getting vaccinated themself. She had her reasons, and they weren't the conspiracy-theorist/"freedom"/science-is-a-lie idiocy that so many seem to have. And she definitely was not sure that she WASN'T going to do it. She needed some time and more info to decide. Fair enough.

Today she told me she decided to do it, and has an appointment for next Thursday (for the J&J version). Soon, every person in our workplace will be fully vaccinated and two weeks past their final dose.

I'm happy about it.

s6

maddmaxx11

Reaction score
My friends father had a major heart attack after the 2nd shot and had to have surgery. He did not make it. I guess he could have had heart problems and did not know it and either the shot caused it to get worse or it was just time for it to happen.

Marc_G

Reaction score
My friends father had a major heart attack after the 2nd shot and had to have surgery. He did not make it. I guess he could have had heart problems and did not know it and either the shot caused it to get worse or it was just time for it to happen.
My condolences to him and his family.

Out of curiosity, do you know how long after the shot, he had his heart attackk?

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score