Covid Vaccines

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Bowman

Reaction score
Bill, I have two questions . . .

(2) What difference does it make which arm was injected ?
From an investigators perspective, if you are looking at an AE you want every detail that MIGHT be relevant to the procedure in question.
Sometimes seemingly unrelated detail can uncover a pattern, sometimes it has no value.

Ez2cDave

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Go to the PA state website and enter info so the vaccination can be subtracted from some database.
Bill,

Is that PA state database a list of people from which their name is removed or a notation made, following vaccination ?

Dave F.

FMarvinS

Reaction score
Without full knowledge of your mother-in law's medical history, current medications and family history, the wisest advice is for her to follow up with her family physician. Vertigo is associated with multiple causes and may merit a medical exam and work up.

best wishes for a benign cause,
Fred

SharkWhisperer

Reaction score
Likely related.
My wife and others at her hospital had the same reaction after 2nd dose.

I mis-reported; The Vertigo was ~18 hrs after the first dose, ~18hrs after second dose she and others experienced bad chills.

They received Pfizer.
Amigo, with all due respect, that's some negligent reporting, timingwise. Anyways, it doesn't seem like a major issue. It self-resolved. Sheesh, vertigo is such a nebulous state. No worries.

SharkWhisperer

Reaction score
From an investigators perspective, if you are looking at an AE you want every detail that MIGHT be relevant to the procedure in question.
Sometimes seemingly unrelated detail can uncover a pattern, sometimes it has no value.
Yes and that will all be dissected out in the post-marketing safety studies that will continue for years. If anything stands out, there's enought vaccine recipients to show statistical relevance. Nobody's paying much attention yet to retrospectively associating a previously documented headache or dizziness bout to end results regarding infectivity/primary symptomology. Not enough resources. These relationships (or lack thereof) are what you will read in B-grade papers in the med journals in 5 years. Not to mention that the rapid distribution based on a few select criteria, usually with highly limited background health data (I manage clinical trials--my forte besides painting the sky), and these data are not being collected in an orderly and complete fashion as in a protocol-driven study like the ones that got vaccine approval... Well we have a lot to learn still. And more because the goalposts will continue to move with new variants, and the epidemiology of variant appearance and spread is a whole different field by itself.

This is manageable. But get used to the idea of having a flu shot every year being "smart" instead of just "lucky smart" because I'm guessing that forever we'll have combined covid/influenza shots annually or biannually (at first at least) until we fully understand and control this critter.

Don't be scared. Just stay smart.

SharkWhisperer

Reaction score
Bill,

Is that PA state database a list of people from which their name is removed or a notation made, following vaccination ?

Dave F.
Though it "appears" that states are doing well in documenting vaccine administration, it won't take but a brief google search to learn that the consolidation of this information into a national database is sorely lacking (it's just not happening yet). Personally, if I lived in any state besides NY, I'd trust my local officials for vaccination statistics over the current CDC reports (they're trying real hard), and (gasp) I wouldn't trust jack-squat that issues from the mouth of DC politicians.

Bowman

Reaction score
Amigo, with all due respect, that's some negligent reporting, timingwise. Anyways, it doesn't seem like a major issue. It self-resolved. Sheesh, vertigo is such a nebulous state. No worries.
Am I going to get a 483 :confused: for missing 13485

Last edited:

Ez2cDave

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Though it "appears" that states are doing well in documenting vaccine administration, it won't take but a brief google search to learn that the consolidation of this information into a national database is sorely lacking (it's just not happening yet). Personally, if I lived in any state besides NY, I'd trust my local officials for vaccination statistics over the current CDC reports (they're trying real hard), and (gasp) I wouldn't trust jack-squat that issues from the mouth of DC politicians.
There it is, in a nutshell. People simply do not trust the information or the sources of that information.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Is dizziness/vertigo a known side effect of the vaccine? My mother in law had some of that a day or two after the second shot, but we don't know if it's related or not.
Yes - Lightheadedness, nausea, and dizziness can happen after the vaccine.

OverTheTop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
They started vaccinations here today. Will be a slow process. I think my wife is at about 170k in, and I have about 4.8 million in front of me.

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Been trying to schedule my dad's vaccinations via a major pharmacy chain's online scheduler through my computer for the last three weeks. Keep getting a "Unable to access stock due to a technical glitch. Please choose another time and location" message.
Tried booking through the pharmacy's phone app today. Got through on the first try.
Guess the scheduler doesn't like computers.
Just a heads up.

Steve Shannon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and I got our first shots of the Moderna vaccine yesterday. The process was extremely easy and well done from beginning to end.
Our county uses our Civic Center to administer the shots. Making a reservation to get the shot was extremely easy. I used the online ticketing website for the civic center to “buy” two zero cost tickets to the “vaccination event”. That literally took two minutes total for tickets for both of us.
Because we were in the age group that requires some underlying condition we received a call from a person. That person also told us the easiest way to approach the event and explained the parking situation which was also very well done. All the people helping were friendly and cheerful. Both of us were done getting our shots within twelve minutes which included easy consent forms and the form we bring back in four weeks.
The shot was painless. My wife, who has had thousands of shots (I used to give her shots of avonex and copaxone) looked at me and said “Well, that was nothing!”
22 hours later and neither of us have had any effects other than tenderness at the injection site.

Dustin Lobner

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The place that I got my first vaccine from (and will still get the second one from next week) just shut down because:

DUE TO THE COMPLEXITY OF MEDICARE AND INSURANCE BILLING
WE ARE NOT ABLE TO CONTINUE OUR VACCINE CLINIC

WE ARE NO LONGER TAKING REQUESTS FOR VACCINATION. ALL SECOND DOSES WILL BE ADMINISTERED AS PREVIOUSLY SCHEDULED

How the hell is red tape an issue during a pandemic?

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Brought my dad in for the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine today.
It was easy and went as smooth as it could be.
15 minute wait to observe for any allergic reactions and we were out of there.
They give you a card and you must bring it with you to the second dose administration.
He's in my states' tier 1b, I'm in tier 1c so I won't qualify for the shots until the Spring.
I'll be glad when this is over.
I read that the Pfizer CEO states that we will probably need to take periodic booster shots, perhaps annually like the flu.
And the Moderna CEO states that the virus may become endemic (permanently with us).
Thankfully children are scarcely affected, in a generation or two this might be no more concerning than the common cold or the flu as immunity grows in the population.
So get your shots as soon as you qualify!
Peace.
Pfizer CEO Says This Is How Often You'll Need a COVID Vaccine (bestlifeonline.com)
The Moderna CEO Just Made This Scary Prediction About COVID (bestlifeonline.com)

NateB

Reaction score
My grandparents and my wife's grandma all have both their doses. My parents, my mother-in-law, my wife, my sister and her husband all have their first dose. My wife's brother doesn't qualify yet, but he's eager to get his too.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am sure you and your wife are still cautious, but does life appear a bit more ”normal” now that you both are vaccinated? Or at least closer to the “new normal “?

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
My wife and I got our first shots of the Moderna vaccine yesterday. The process was extremely easy and well done from beginning to end.
Our county uses our Civic Center to administer the shots. Making a reservation to get the shot was extremely easy. I used the online ticketing website for the civic center to “buy” two zero cost tickets to the “vaccination event”. That literally took two minutes total for tickets for both of us.
Because we were in the age group that requires some underlying condition we received a call from a person. That person also told us the easiest way to approach the event and explained the parking situation which was also very well done. All the people helping were friendly and cheerful. Both of us were done getting our shots within twelve minutes which included easy consent forms and the form we bring back in four weeks.
The shot was painless. My wife, who has had thousands of shots (I used to give her shots of avonex and copaxone) looked at me and said “Well, that was nothing!”
22 hours later and neither of us have had any effects other than tenderness at the injection site.
Take it easy and plan for symptoms after the second dose.

NateB

Reaction score
I am sure you and your wife are still cautious, but does life appear a bit more ”normal” now that you both are vaccinated? Or at least closer to the “new normal “?
It is getting closer. Although, we don't eat out and in restaurants all too often and other things we like to do have either been possible all along, like hiking and bike riding, or are have been completely shut down like going to concerts and baseball games.

I feel better at work now that I'm vaccinated, but still have to wear a respirator, eye protection, and my face shield on every case to protect my patients and be a good role model more so than personal protection.

She feels relieved with her first dose, especially after dealing with small clots from Covid. She's a dispatcher, so not as front facing with sick people as I am, she still has plenty of contact with other first responders in addition to me.

Steve Shannon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
If you are asking me, I would say “no, not yet.”
Ask me again two weeks after our second dose. Of course then I will be getting ready for rotator cuff surgery. We wanted to get the shots anyway but added urgency arose so we could have home health come in and help my wife while I’m unable.

Last edited:

aerostadt

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and I both got two Pfizer shots with no after effects except maybe a little soreness at the the injection site on the first shot. Mine was about 2 weeks ago and hers was about 1 week ago. The staff at our Dentist office got the Moderna shot and they said that they had some after effects.

fyrechaser

Builder of flying things
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm three weeks out from the second dose of Moderna. Almost exactly 24hrs after the second dose I began to feel feverish with a headache and body aches. (I would call it mild) Went to bed early and woke up feeling fine. Feeling great ever since. Well worth it!

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
I'm three weeks out from the second dose of Moderna. Almost exactly 24hrs after the second dose I began to feel feverish with a headache and body aches. (I would call it mild) Went to bed early and woke up feeling fine. Feeling great ever since. Well worth it!
That is classic - 12-26 hrs.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
My wife and I both got two Pfizer shots with no after effects except maybe a little soreness at the the injection site on the first shot. Mine was about 2 weeks ago and hers was about 1 week ago. The staff at our Dentist office got the Moderna shot and they said that they had some after effects.
Very similar between Pfizer and Moderna - 12-36 hours of symptoms. They occur 12-24 hours latter. Nothing bad enough to make me swear off a third booster dose if the CDC ever says it is needed.

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just saw the news that the Johnson and Johnson single dose vaccine has been approved by the FDA for emergency use.
24 hours after my 98 year old fathers' first Pfizer shot his temperature is normal and he is not having any adverse reactions.
If I have a choice, I may opt for the J&J shot when I become eligible just for the convenience.
It was also field tested in countries where the more infectious variants were circulating and proven effective.
But the main thing to me is that it was 100% effective in preventing hospitalization and death.
Laters.

Last edited:

afadeev

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
For anyone around Tri-State area: most public NJ distribution sites are shooting Pfizer, while most sites around NYC are supplied with Moderna vaccine.

Getting an appoint, however, is a sh!t show, in both states.