Covid or texting while driving - which will get you?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

modeltrains

Reaction score
Shocked after receiving Covid positive report, Kerala woman rams car into electric pole
The woman panicked after she got to know her Covid test result and eventually lost control of the vehicle. The woman had to wait over an hour on the road as ambulances refused to take her home.

Vivek Rajagopal Kollam April 14, 2021UPDATED: April 14, 2021 09:08 IST

The 40-year-old woman was returning from a private laboratory in Kollam’s Anchal area.
Sources said the woman panicked after she got to know her result and eventually lost control of the vehicle. The woman, however, sustained minor injuries to her face.
The accident took place on her way home and the car was completely shattered. Thankfully, she had left her two children, aged 11 and 8, at a relative’s house.
I get the level of concern, especially in India. Even so, she has shown why using phones while driving is not conducive to living long and prospering.

Scott_650

Reaction score
Well, here in the US we have roughly 40k traffic related fatalities a year - outside of a double Whopper with cheese on the couch in front of the TV your car is the most dangerous thing in your life...disease other than cardiovascular and cancer is pretty low on the what’s gonna get you eventually list...

BEC

Reaction score
Well, so far COVID-19 has killed an order of magnitude more US residents than that ~40K from traffic related deaths in a little over a year (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/), so I’m not so sure. That said, now one can get vaccinated against the virus (and I have), but there’s no vaccine for stupid/irresponsible whether behind the wheel of a vehicle or wherever....

OverTheTop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Our state recently tried some AI cameras that look at drivers as they drive along. It found that an average of 1 in 42 drivers were on their mobile phones. Some areas had averages of 1 in 18. They just don't get it that it is dangerous drive like that.

Marc_G

Reaction score
It's illegal to hold phone in hand while driving in Indiana... Nearly every close call I avoid on the road involves someone holding a phone. I should get a dashcam and start a local shaming blog.

mtnmanak

TRA & NAR L2
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well, so far COVID-19 has killed an order of magnitude more US residents than that ~40K from traffic related deaths in a little over a year (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/), so I’m not so sure. That said, now one can get vaccinated against the virus (and I have), but there’s no vaccine for stupid/irresponsible whether behind the wheel of a vehicle or wherever....
Exactly.

While the COVID body count is horrific, it is (very, very hopefully) finite. One way or another, it will end at some point, even if that means we all just get COVID.

The traffic fatalities, though, are ongoing and infinite.

I lived in Europe for long stretches during my Army career and saw how the Germans train their kids to drive. It is a long and deliberate process with lots of hands on instruction. Pretty important for a country that has a large number of highway miles with no speed limit. Even before cell phones, they impressed upon their youth the dangers of "distracted driving" - i.e. - don't try eating a sandwich and putting your makeup on while you are doing 120MPH on the autobahn.

Here in the US, I have always been amazed at how little training and instruction we require to get a license at 16 to pilot around a high speed missile filled with 15-30 gallons of high explosive. Or, in the new era, that missile is filled with hundred of pounds of explosive compound that will not stop burning once it is lit:

NateB

Reaction score
It's illegal to hold phone in hand while driving in Indiana... Nearly every close call I avoid on the road involves someone holding a phone. I should get a dashcam and start a local shaming blog.
Over the years I have worked in EMS, it feels like bad accidents that were most likely caused by cell phone distraction are catching up to the number caused by a drunk or high driver.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Over the years I have worked in EMS, it feels like bad accidents that were most likely caused by cell phone distraction are catching up to the number caused by a drunk or high driver.
I see them a lot also and it is not just texting.

modeltrains

Reaction score
They just don't get it that it is dangerous drive like that.
That brings to mind the number of times, and, no, I didn't go fishing around my car to find paper and pen to document the count, that I've seen people at one of our burg's 5 stoplights sitting there at red light with their wrists atop the wheel with a phone in one hand and a cigarette in the other.
And then upon green they took off with hands in same position.

modeltrains

Reaction score
Okay, maybe I have some kind of privileged background, since my father and grandfather were pilots for a while, and I'm autistic and was really in to planes and trains and tanks and boats and spacecraft, and my reading comprehension topped out at the postgrad level before I was out of high school,
but it sure seems to me that they should have been old enough to know better,

“They feel very confident ... that there was no one driving that vehicle,” Herman told KHOU-TV. ... KHOU reported that one was 69 and the other was 59.
Ya know, this kind of thing Used To Be urban legend, https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/cruise-uncontrol/