Covid-19 Response - Grassroots manufacture of PPE for hospitals

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustin Lobner

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to alert everyone to the fact that there's a pretty amazing grassroots movement right now to manufacture PPE at the local/individual level for hospitals to help respond to Covid-19. There are people out there sewing disposable facemasks, things like that. I just placed a McMaster Carr order and will be printing a bunch of faceshields to donate to the local hospital.

It sounds completely crazy I know. but things are going to be bad enough that I fear it's needed. And obviously you don't want to make things that don't work, but at this point things are bad enough in Boston that Boston General has basically said "we'll take anything, because anything is better than the nothing we
have".

If you or anyone you know knows how to sew, has a 3D printer, whatever, this is a good opportunity to do something other than just waiting around to get sick.

Dustin

I am amazed at the industry response. From mom and pop to giants like Ford, it is amazing. It speaks to human ingenuity.

@Dustin Lobner Do you have links to a central clearing house? This is something that my daughter and I would love to turn our sewing machines* loose on, but figuring out what is needed and how to do it is harder.

Thanks!

* Both Kenmores, hers circa 1900, mine circa 1965.

Matterhackers just got a faceshield design approved, they're asking for people to 3D print copies of it. Actually looks like this is a thing, cool to see.

Back