COVID-19 is Airborne!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Culprit

Reaction score
You can find more details in my thread in the 3D Printing forum, but for completeness, my COVID-19 rocket made her first two flights on Memorial Day last Monday. Beautiful flights! D12-3 and E9-6.

I used paper towel and toilet paper tubes. They are thin so the body tube is sleeved with a Christmas wrapping paper tube that fit just about perfectly. Found the virus model on Thingiverse and made it into a nose cone. Launch lugs are ignitor packaging tubes from Aerotech 29mm motors. Estes balsa scrap for the standoffs. Hand cut centering rings to fit. 1mm braided Kevlar through centering ring and tied around the motor mount. The Thingiverse link for the nose cone, and the zipped .f3d file is in my thread in the 3D printing forum if anyone wants to adapt it to a different size tube.

IMG_0218.jpgIMG_5304.JPGIMG_5171.JPGIMG_3087.jpgIMG_4936.jpgIMG_4937.jpgIMG_4938.jpgIMG_4939.jpg

Well done!

The nose cone looks like... well.. never mind.

Let's just say those were around way before the Wuhan virus and leave it at that. :shocked:

Last edited:
very clever! Kind of Groovy. That molecule shape would also be a good candidate for a Sputnik style rocket made from a larger Styrofoam ball with dowel stabilizing fins.

PS - A while back I made a 24mm power 5' tall rocket, a Centuri Thunder ROC clone, from the paper towel and toilet paper rolls in the recycling bin I had been saving. I called it the "NORTHERN Bounty" even though it was actually made from Costco Kirkland brand rolls.
picture-6-png.298011

Last edited:
I know what would make it perfect. You need some stickers/decals that say CCP and the Chinese flag. :)

My wife and I brainstormed all sorts of crazy, funny, and sarcastic things to put on the rocket. In the end I just wanted to fly it. But now that she has two flights on her, we might follow through and decorate it. :)

My wife and I brainstormed all sorts of crazy, funny, and sarcastic things to put on the rocket. In the end I just wanted to fly it. But now that she has two flights on her, we might follow through and decorate it. :)

like a Mexican flag on the launch lug support. You know, a Mexican stand-off launch lug

Back