COVID-19 - Hitting Close to Home

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Speaknoevil

Reaction score
This is a potentially sad and tragic thread, but it is good to talk things out. Setting this up for those that want to share. Of course, as with all threads, totally optional.

My brother called an hour ago. My mother has tested positive for COVID-19. As of now, she is showing no symptoms. She is in a nursing home in Virginia. She is 90. Maybe a blessing, as she has suffered from progressive dementia for nearly 20 years now. Every day for her is a happy one. She was a high school art teacher and she gets to do art projects everyday at her home.

Rob702Martinez

Zip-Tie Oversight Committee
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Sending positive thoughts and well wishes your way for family and mom.

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hoping for the best for your mom and family.

Speaknoevil

Reaction score
Like the responses, but this is not about me. This thread is to document and talk through how COVID-19 is impacting our rocketry community.

Speaknoevil

Reaction score
Just a little more on my mom. She had been testing negative since mid-March on the facility's bi-weekly tests. My brother has found out that my mother's roommate tested positive 4 or 5 weeks ago and has since passed.

Last edited:

Cl(VII)

Chris Bender, Lab Rat
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this, and best wishes to your family. A coworker lost her Step-Dad in Italy to COVID a few weeks ago. Also, two weeks ago my wife’s Great Aunt died of it. She was 89 and in a rehab facility in NY recovering from “regular” pneumonia when COVID swept through the place...she was so weak she never had a chance. She was the last surviving member of her generation of the family, i.e. the last member to speak Polish as their first language.

Speaknoevil

Reaction score
Well, its not over 'til its over. My mom has now passed the 2 week mark and, although testing positive at 90 years old, has shown no symptoms at all. Maybe there is some type of genetic resistance there, not sure, this virus seems so unpredictable and random.

timbucktoo

Staff member
Global Mod
Reaction score
It is good news. Could she have had a false positive test?

Speaknoevil

Reaction score
It is good news. Could she have had a false positive test?
It is possible, but think unlikely, as she spent many months in close association with her roommate who both tested positive, and then died only weeks ago from complications from COVID-19.

Steve Shannon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well, its not over 'til its over. My mom has now passed the 2 week mark and, although testing positive at 90 years old, has shown no symptoms at all. Maybe there is some type of genetic resistance there, not sure, this virus seems so unpredictable and random.
That’s the really confusing and frightening thing about this virus.
I hope for the very best for you and your mom.

Speaknoevil

Reaction score
Well, after three straight bi-weekly tests reading positive for COVID-19, now my mother's latest test has come back negative. No wonder (I guess) that she hasn't shown any symptoms. But it just baffles me that these medical tests can be so utterly wrong and/or completely unreliable.

timbucktoo

Staff member
Global Mod
Reaction score
That's why I asked initially, you'd think she's have some symptoms especially for her age.

Speaknoevil

Reaction score
I just got a report from the nursing home. They said she did contract it, as did 100% of those in her wing/unit, many of whom died. They believe my mom was one of the few that was asymptomatic, and that she has now fully recovered, is immune, and thus testing negatively. Now, this is what the facility (visiting) physician is saying, don't know if this jives with what other doctors would say.

Steve Shannon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I just got a report from the nursing home. They said she did contract it, as did 100% of those in her wing/unit, many of whom died. They believe my mom was one of the few that was asymptomatic, and that she has now fully recovered, is immune, and thus testing negatively. Now, this is what the facility (visiting) physician is saying, don't know if this jives with what other doctors would say.
I’m thankful for your mother’s health!

Latest posts