Covert Recovery CR-3 Chute

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DynaSoar

Reaction score
I tested the Covert Recovery CR-3 chute. I am very impressed. I wrote up a long review. I am not going to post it here for the simple reason that I want to send the long review to EMRR. If the maker can overcome the previously mentioned production problem (wearing out a regular sewing machine and needing to get an industrial strength machine), and makes these regularly available, I fully intend to. I'm not trying to be mean. Quite the opposite. I'm trying to urge him to get than machine and start selling.

I tested the CR-3, rated at 1 to 2 pounds (for descent of 13 to 18 fps) in my Vulcanite (2.5 lbs), on a G40-7. Ejection was just prior to apogee, at 26 fps and 1200', according to the sim.

The opening was immediate. The descent had less wind drift than other flights of the day, about the same as I usually get on a 24" X-form chute. The CR-3 is 13" inflated, 18" laid flat. There was no spinning or tangling, despite using no swivel. The descent was also slower than I've come to expect from the 24" X-form.

The CR-3 is a 4 panel, 4 shroud chute that I compare favorably to the similarly designed TAC-1. The latter has only strength (1400 lbs shrouds, 1500 lbs swivel) going for it. The TAC-1 could be used as a high speed drogue, whereas the CR-3 couldn't. But if you need something the strength of a high speed drogue, either you're not flying a 1 pound rocket (the TAC-1 weight rating for 17 fps descent), or chute failure is not about to be your major concern.

I am impressed with this chute far more than this mini-review indicates. As I said, get this chute into production so reviewing it doesn't end up making people want something they can't get, and I'll be glad to support it widely, as well as do some real quantitative testing.

I will say this: I got them free for testing (I also got the CR-4 but haven't tested it yet), but I now intend to pay for them. I like them that much.

In the picture, it's hanging from a ceiling fan (and turned upside down so it looks normal) and not fully inflated.

but if the TAC-1 has a strength advantage, (or any other advantage) why not get a TAC-1? Is the CR-3 cheaper, lighter or smaller when packed? I must say that parachutes are my favorite rocket parts, so I have Spherachutes, Skyangles, etc. I was planning to get a TAC-1 next, but I already have more chutes than rockets!

If you check in the vendors forum, under HighTech chutes, you will see the price list, and they are mighty cheap.

Originally posted by rocketgroupmike
but if the TAC-1 has a strength advantage, (or any other advantage) why not get a TAC-1? Is the CR-3 cheaper, lighter or smaller when packed? I must say that parachutes are my favorite rocket parts, so I have Spherachutes, Skyangles, etc. I was planning to get a TAC-1 next, but I already have more chutes than rockets!

I have the TAC-1. The CR-3 is lighter, packs FAR smaller ( with some careful work I can get it in a 29mm body), deploys easier, and costs 25% less (that's comparing the announced MSRP of the CR-3 with Giant Leap's price for the TAC-1, not the very cheap introductory price of the CR-3).

By analogy, if brick has a strength advantage, why build a doll house out of plywood?

The strength rating of the TAC-1 is 1400 (shrouds) to 1500 (swivel) lbs. The TAC-1's weight rating for a descent rate similar to the CR-3 is 1 pound (the CR-3 being 1 to 2 lbs). Under what conditions would a 1 pound rocket face 1400 lbs of force? Whatever they may be, the CR-3 would not survive. The TAC-1 would, but the rocket would be confetti in either case. In fact the TAC-1's strength would probably contribute to shredding the rocket.

I don't know what the strength rating of the CR-3 is but I'm certain it's not near what the TAC-1's. My point is no chute for a 1 pound rocket needs to be anywhere near as strong as the TAC-1, so that "benefit" is irrelevant. If the CR-3 becomes regularly available, I'll be glad to do some strength testing.

Originally posted by rocketgroupmike
So, the CR-3 is lighter, cheaper AND packs smaller? Well, that is a horse of a different color!

WAY smaller. The TAC-1 will not go into a 29mm body.

And it's slipperier so it can be packed tighter and be less likely to get stuck. It feels downright oily.

Originally posted by GlassfibreMan
Does anyone have a link for Covert Recovery? Tried googling and got nowhere.

Send a PM to user Borderline Sci. He's here. His announcements are in the Vendors area under the thread "High Tech Chutes".

I will be using a CR12 for sure, just not sure what type, I am considering the standard but it only has 550# lines and they are not over the canopy, the other option is 9/16" shrouds around the canopy, I dont need the next step up, 9/16" TN around the edges. I am going to see if he can do 550# around the canopy, that would be the best because from what I have heard and read in the review dynostar wrote, the only damage he had was that at a high speed deployment the shroud was pulled down a few inches, with over the canopy no stress is applied to the shroud/panel joint. I have been using rocketman and tac-1 chutes so I am used to bullet proof chutes, and this is an expensive rocket. But it seem's like worst case the chute is damgaged, I doubt it could be damaged so much that it doesnt bring the rocket back slowly without a lot of other major damage.

I just learned about Covert's chutes this weekend. Jason (jetra2) used one to recover his BSD Thor. I was amazed at the quality of the shroud lines and canopy. When it came time to cleanup I was trying to pack the chute in the airframe and noticed how "slippery" the canopy was. Overall, it looks like a superior quality chute.

Attached is a "zoomed in" recovery photo.

Cant say anything about the chutes, havent gotten mine yet. But the service is great, quick e-mail responces are amazing. The prices are great and I cant wait to get my CR15D and CR4D chutes from him. It appear's like he even gives you a D-bag for larger chutes, amazing value, hope it is an amazing product.

Back