Couple more mid power q's...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabidsheeep

Reaction score
ok... this is my 10 millionth post on the topic... ill try and get all my q's in here...

im looking to buy the AT mustang kit to get into mp...

1. for a launcher: i made a 12 volt launcher for c and d cluster low power rockets... will this work for e,f, and g's?

2. what kind of igniters are you supposed to use? (looked on aerotechs sight but the link to igniters wasn't working)

3. what kind of launch rod would this use? how thick mainly... i can make a pad no problem... i know of button rails etc, but i want to start simple...

that should be it for--

wait! one more... anyone have a link handy of where i can buy dog barf wadding?

thanks (again)

--sheeepy

12V will work no problem.

The Aerotech motors come with copperhead ignitors. Have fun, they can be tricky without the copperhead ignitor clip from aerotech.

The Aerotech kits come with 1/4" launch lugs. The Mustang is small and you could use a smaller rod. A 3/16" rod will hold it up fine.

Goto www.hangar11.com for wadding and motors. Bobby will take care of you.

Here's a pic of my mustang.

Originally posted by rabidsheeep
ok... this is my 10 millionth post on the topic... ill try and get all my q's in here...

im looking to buy the AT mustang kit to get into mp...

Good choice! It'll go a bit higher than some of the others, but I like it.

1. for a launcher: i made a 12 volt launcher for c and d cluster low power rockets... will this work for e,f, and g's?

Sure it will. Watch out for the Copperheads, thay don't bite but you need to take good care in handling them, they are prone to breaking.

2. what kind of igniters are you supposed to use? (looked on aerotechs sight but the link to igniters wasn't working)

The best you can get are Magnelite, get it at www.rocketflite.com. As I said, the Copperheads stink. Aerotech makes some (somewhat expensive) igniters called First Fire Jrs that will work with MPR motors. Oh yes, the Magnelite requires you to dip your own igniters.

3. what kind of launch rod would this use? how thick mainly... i can make a pad no problem... i know of button rails etc, but i want to start simple...

It uses a 1/4" rod. I prefer rail buttons on teh AT kits though.

that should be it for--

wait! one more... anyone have a link handy of where i can buy dog barf wadding?

Home Depot has huge bales of it for like 5 dollars each.

thanks (again)

--sheeepy

the aerotech motors come with a copperhead ignitor
I have had 100% success with them by holding a flame to the connection end and gently spreading the leads apart about an inch
than you can hook them up as you would an estes ignitor

(I probably jinxed myself now)

The AT G75 (reload for the 29/180 case) comes with a first fire ignitor instead of a copperhead. I believe this is recent, but I know that all of the 29mm loads that I have are packaged with firstfires instead of copperheads.

I think consumer reloads still come with copperheads, however.

Copperheads arent that bad once you get used to them (and they are free with the purchace of a motor!)

I will agree with stymye, using a ciggarette lighter flame to spread the connection end of the copperhead igniters is the best way to connect them to get them to light. I too have had 100% success using this method.

Just heat it up, and the 2 leads will seperate enough to connect like any other igniter.

you can hook 8 AAA batteries together and get 12v, but it won't light an igniter...

well, maybe one...

what kind of battery are you using?

big lantern battery...

also, would two 6 volts work cause i found em for a buck fiddy each at radio shack the other day...

edit: @ thrasher at hangar 11 i was looking at the engines, and im presuming these are packs of 2 right?

x2 might launch a couple clusters, but that's gonna get really expensive...

i would recommend a 12v motorcycle or tractor battery
i am using an 18v Black & Decker NiCd from my cordless drill, but i have been having some partial cluster failures...

jcrocket, i just checked... we have that blown insulation into our house... the one shot in through a tube... SCORE! :D

veteran fliers will tell you that the wire mesh is not fool proof...The 1st Aerotech bird I flew burned a hole in the 22" chute. I talk from experience...some experience will vary from flier to flier...barf is cheap, so use plenty.

Back