Countdown Hobbies- in person

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marclee

Reaction score
Hi guys. I haven't posted in awhile.

I was recently travelling through Connecticut where I visited Kevin Nolan at Countdown Hobbies inBethel, CT. You guys would DIE. I've NEVER seen a hobby store so cram-packed with rocket stuff! I mean this guy is the real deal. Get out the wallet and hide the wife.

Kevin (the owner) is the nicest guy in the world. I didn't know him at all and he took the time to show me around and talk shop. He has everything actually IN STOCK (which impressed me). To give you an idea, he had on his shelves everything from the Estes E rockets to anything made by LOC, Launch Pad, Quest, etc. all the way to a Big Kahuna and everything in between. Even rockets by odd, tiny, guy-in-his-garage companies.

As further drool-candy, he had unopened, mint-condition boxes of 1958-made rockets by some obscure company long since out of business. Right out of those 50's space movies... All-original packaging, the works. He's got vintage Estes stuff, Centuri stuff, motors, parts and his collection of ancient catalogs and manuals blew me away. Countdown has books, plastic models, baking-soda rockets, rocket parts, even rocket-related toys I'd never seen. His motor WALL was quite impressive as was his selection of everything from Kevlar line to quality parachutes.

Since this section is for vendor feedback, I'm giving it to ya. I don't work for him, I don't know him. Just visited in person. What a place. It's not flashy or well-known, but Kevin can get you anything made in rocketry TODAY. Great service, great prices. I saw it for myself. If you haven't tried them, give em a whirl.

http: www.countdownhobbies.com

Signed,
Your reporter in the field.

Marc

Thanks for the vendor info. And yep this forum is just for such information.

How was his motor supply? Did you tell him about your favorite rocketry forum? :D

You know Milo, I didn't mention it to Kevin (the forum). I assumed he knew about it. I'll drop him an email. It'll give me a good excuse to buy something...Haha

marc

He had a TON of Aerotech stuff. And of course, Estes stuff galore. I thought his motor supply was WAY better than what I get out here in California.

Boy, I can't remember. He had SO much stuff. Lots of old space program memorabilia, books, old rockets, etc. I did not specifically see Russian Space Program stuff but he may have had it. You can email Kevin directly at

[email protected]

Marc

Kevin is a great guy. He has supported rocketry over the years in many ways. There was a great article in Sport Rocketry (or was it American Spacemodeling or the Model Rocketeer) some time back that had a great article on his shop. I ordered my very first HPR motors from him way back in the early 90's. Helpful, and a lot of good stuff in his shop. He used to frequent the Compuserve Sport Rocketry forum some years back, so I am not sure where he hangs around these days. This would be a nice place for him. Does he still do Bonus Bucks?

You know, Kevin is one of those guys that does not try to compete only on price with no service. Although his prices are close to retail (he has rent, lights, a lease or whatever to keep up a storefront and margins given to dealers in hobby products sometimes stink), and the bonus bucks are good for 10% on future orders, I would do business with him because of the "value added." He honestly loves the hobby, and he is a heckuva guy.

He just has to get out and fly more!!!! :)

Dave

(Thanks Kevin! that H-242 you shipped me 15 years ago was one of the biggest thrills! And you helped me all the way....)

Do business with this guy, and keep the local hobby shop alive!

I'd like to add my .02 about Kevin Nolan. He is honestly one of the good guys. As said above, his store is so packed with rocketry that if you walk in there with a credit card, prepare for financial ruin!

I was there two weeks ago and I found kits by:

LOC
Binder
PML
Public Enemy
Aerotech
Estes
Quest
Vaughn
ASP
Launch Pad
Cosmodrome

you get the idea...

His motor selection can get a little thin, however his neat claim to fame is he supplied the motors for the movie October Sky.

The sad part is Kevin is looking to sell Countdown to pursue other ventures. Now what the $#$%$ did I do with that winning lottery ticket?

On a final note if you live within driving range, give him a try. There is also a dynamite pizza joint next door. (I tried to get you there Bowhunter..)

Disregard the motor question. It is on his site.

Actually call or e-mail him. His web stuff is sometimes behind. He does have a e-mail notification list for propellant availability.

Kevin is a class act.

I recently sent in an order to "cash in" a pile of
$$$BONUS BUCKS$$$ that I had been accumulating.

Some of them were dated from 1997!!!!

Kevin honored them all. (Although shipping was not covered by them).

Great guy to do business with.

CTimm

About two years ago, I found some old Bonus Bucks lying around in a drawer, some of which were the first BB he ever issued to customers.

I've known Kevin since the first CTRA meeting in 1990. How long has he been wanting to sell?

Kevin was the first real rocketry vendor I did business with, besides Red Arrow (Where I got an Initiator on eBay). That was about three years ago and he has had a business for sale sign in the window the whole time. I asked him about it way back then, and he told me there were other opportunities he wanted to explore.

This is one of the few situations where I keep hoping something in someone's life does not go as planned. ;)

I really like the mail order and web-stores, yet nothing in the world compares to the "kid in a candy store" rush that goes with a trip to 7 PT Barnum Square in Bethel CT.

Originally posted by CTimm
Kevin is a class act.

Great guy to do business with.

CTimm

I couldn't have said it better myself. We have dealt with Kevin for many moons.

Kevin truly does have a great store and he is super nice. Shipping is lightning fast.
I recently joined CTRA from NH and went to my first meeting in April. Kevin even opens his store on Sundays when there is a meeting.
The last order I placed was on a Thursday around 3:00PM. My package arrived on Friday AM. He packed it and shipped the same afternoon I called. Now that's what service is all about.
Thanks Kevin.

Back