Could Tree's be the answer to global warming??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
snipped to get to the point:You also can't argue with conspiracy theorists. Any evidence to the contrary will be dismissed as part of the conspiracy.

I mistakenly thought some science was involved here. We've taken billions of pounds of CO2 that has been locked in the earth for millions of years and have released it into the atmosphere. Saying that the earth is too big to be affected by 7 billion people or that it's part of a natural cycle when there is nothing natural about burning fossil fuels that have been trapped underground for millions of years is to completely deny any reason or science. The fact that one party argues it's baloney based on a couple of graphics and then another argues it's all a giant conspiracy says a lot about the level of scientific reasoning here, or lack of it.

I personally studied the effects of rising CO2 concentrations on the ambient air temperatures in college. It related to greenhouses. There is a very clear positive relationship between CO2 levels and temperature. Through human activity we have increased the CO2 levels by burning fossil fuel - that is undeniable. To deny that we have impacted our environment is to deny our very role on this earth. It is mind boggling that anyone can look at the very basic science involved and then deny that we can impact the earth's climate. It's like folks who claim cigarettes don't cause cancer, it's all fun and games until someone they know dies from it.

Your grandchildren will not think kindly of you as they deal with the consequences of climate change if you try and pretend it isn't happening and want to prevent any efforts to try and mitigate it's effects.

Tony
There are so many straw men in your response to my post, but I'll bother to address just one:

"To deny that we have impacted our environment is to deny our very role on this earth."

WHERE did I deny that? Further, WHERE did I deny that anthropogenic CO2 isn't factor in climate change? Simple, I didn't and DON'T.

The HUGE profit motive described is NOT a "conspiracy" theory. If you don't realize that lobbying effectively owns governments and their policies, you haven't been paying attention.

Also, please answer my question - will it be cheaper to adapt to warming or suffer the HUGE economic costs of MAYBE some mitigation mostly ALONE - two of the biggest polluters, China and India, weren't even included in the Paris Accords, accords which in themselves were a bad joke which would result in <1% of the claimed needed reduction of CO2 in order to prevent an UNCERTAIN future temperature rise?

Once China and India crawl up the technological ladder they will become more energy efficient due to the profit incentive to do so. Also, UNLIKE US, China is putting major efforts into developing the advanced reactors I mentioned in a post above, India also but to a lesser extent. The same natural progression toward energy efficiency will also continue in the more developed west.

I don't think its a hoax. Down load Google Earth and look at the polar ice cap and how small it is compared to the way it was before.
Neither do I, but that alone is not a valid way to show it.

Only about 1 percent of the total potential energy in natural uranium is utilized in US light water reactors. The U-238 which has energy wrapped up in the heavy nucleus cannot be utilized because it is not fissionable, so currently it is thrown away. Even the current US spent nuclear fuel has enough plutonium in it that it would be worth reprocessing, but it cannot because the legislation passed during the Carter administration does not allow the use of plutonium in US reactors. This does not stop the French and Japanese. The Japanese send their spent nuclear fuel to France to be reprocessed. Technically, the Carter's administration prohibition of plutonium is being violated to a small extent in the US, because some plutonium is being generated in US light water reactors and consequently undergoing fission during the regular fuel cycle.

Let behind as what? In what form? Where is that carbon sequestered after decomposition?

Not arguing but would like to know.

First, what's in a plant? Mostly water. Then sugars (both the "sweet" kind as well as polysaccarides like cellulose and hemicellulose. There are proteins (chains of amino acids). There are exceptional plants that also take in a great deal of minerals such as silicon. They tend to resist rot and decay. And finally, lignin, which forms the "skeleton" of the cell walls. When a plant dies, the water can go away. The sugars are eaten by other organisms (some - like yeast - are very useful!). The proteins decay. The ammonia in the amino acids are the reason decomposing matter stinks. This leaves lignin. It's one of the reasons plants are so useful for construction in homes and buildings, it's very stable.

So what's left after decomposition? Coal and petroleum are two good examples. Peat moss is an example of plant matter that was prevented from access to oxygen, so it decomposed very slowly, in a slightly different way. One way of looking at "fast decomposition" is burning. The ash left behind is mostly carbon, with the minerals the were left in the plant that did not react and go away as gas during the burning. Potassium (as hydroxide) is an important mineral left behind in ash.

Global warming or not, trees are vitally important to life as we know it on Earth. And we're losing trees at an alarming rate. Look at Google Earth pictures on Sri Lanka or Central America. The lightly shaded areas of green are areas that were once forest, but have now been cut down.

Why are we cutting all the trees down? The biggest answer is; to cook food. We're lucky here in the First World. Almost everything is "on tap" 24/7, just waiting to be used. Electricity, gas, telephone/television/cable/internet are there just waiting for out consumption. Most of the world doesn't have the luxury of firing up the microwave to nuke a Hot Pocket. They've either got to go out and gather fuel to burn to cook with, or they buy it from someone who does.

I feel a long lecture/rant coming on so I'm just going to stop here. Think about how you would live without all the things that are on tap to make your life easier.

snipped again to clear up a point
There are so many straw men in your response to my post, but I'll bother to address just one:

"To deny that we have impacted our environment is to deny our very role on this earth."

WHERE did I deny that? Further, WHERE did I deny that anthropogenic CO2 isn't factor in climate change? Simple, I didn't and DON'T...
Only the first paragraph of the post you quote was really directed at you, the rest was really aimed at CORZERO. I was only taking issue with your conspiracy theory that Goldman Sachs is behind all this. Sorry for the confusion.

I've said all I really feel qualified to say. Based on my personal scientific observations on CO2 effects on ambient air temperature, I believe the man-caused addition of billion of tons of CO2 to our atmosphere will cause it to warm. It seems unavoidable that we will face increasing weather extremes and an overall warming as a result and we should be preparing for that future.

As far as nuclear power is concerned, I have always been a proponent of nuclear power. Unfortunately this country is incapable of developing a rational policy due to a wide variety of reasons. However I must say that after Fukoshima it's clear that no matter how safe we think something is there are always failure trees that escape prediction and prevention.

Tony

I believe the man-caused addition of billion of tons of CO2 to our atmosphere will cause it to warm.

Why? Why do you believe this? Why will it happen?

edit - not an attack or challenge - just a question.

Everyone must realize that the our Sun plays a huge part in our global warming.
It's aging, growing, getting closer, and even get hotter and emitting more radiation.
I'll say it again...The world is over populated, that is man's contribution to global warming.

The Sun? Who would have thought, being the source of all our energy and such....... If the flat earth theory was handled like so called global warming or climate change theory is, we would still think the earth is flat.

The average output of the sun is not changing at any rate that will affect global warming, nor is the earths molten core. CO2 heats the planet not because it absorbs solar radiation, many climate skeptics believe that because CO2 is largely transparent to the wavelengths emitted by the sun that is can't cause warming. CO2 caused warming by trapping the heat radiated into space by the surface, CO2 is much more opaque/reflective to these frequencies. The net heat gain or loss of the planet surface/oceans/atmosphere is a balance of the geothermal energy coming to the surface, the sun radiating energy from above, and the earth radiating energy away. In recent climate change timescales the only one of these changing significantly is the radiation leaving the earth. This is because of changes to the surface reflectivity/absorbtion (for example white ice reflects energy, dark rock left after it melts absorbs energy) and changes to the reflective/transmissive/absorption properties of the atmosphere. The former is one of the additional reasons polar ice melt increases warming, the later is where the concern over greenhouse gasses come from.

Also, just because people will make a lot of money controlling climate change does not mean it's not an issue. Trillions will be made in the boom over clean energy sources, just as trillions are made now from current energy sources, that doesn't make them bad.

I also agree that we should be aggressively developing next generation Nuclear which can be melt-down proof and produce fractions of the waste. I've researched those designs and they seem promising and realistic. But public sentiment ("I don't want a plant in my backyard") means it's a publicity nightmare and the giant upfront investment isn't worth the regulatory and political hurdles. I want to change nearly as much as I want to prevent climate change as it would greatly help the world problems. But I also think renewables are just as promising with less drawbacks.

As to the cost of adaptation vs. prevention... That is laughable, when you look at sea level rise alone the cost of displaced people and businesses, rebuilding/relocating destroyed infrastructure the comparison to prevention is non existent. When you add the cost of the increased frequency of extreme weather events, tornadoes, hurricanes, torrential rain/flooding, drought, which cost massive amounts of money in losses it becomes comical.

The world is over populated, that is man's contribution to global warming.

Who says it's overpopulated? Based on what evidence? What is the standard? Where's the data? Are the sources credible? Was the scientific method used?

Perhaps you didn't see my true-to-scale image in my previous post. The world is anything BUT overpopulated, and you're only perpetuating the over-use of yet another baseless talking point manufactured to push an agenda that (and apparently there aren't too many here that are privy to the underlying motive of this nonsense subject) is in fact your enemy by ultimately transferring the idea to legislation which will require you to pay money in the form of taxes to pad the wallets of Al Gore, et al types and do nothing in the grand scheme of things.

And here's the thing about taxes: You have two choices; pay them or don't pay them. Unfortunately, if you do not agree with an agenda/govt. program/law etc. and do not want to pay them, there are only two possible outcomes: Go to jail voluntarily, or fight cops and be murdered by the state for resisting.

Lest we forget that whenever you say "there should be a law for x", you are consenting taxation and to the government's use of violence and deadly force against people to uphold "x" law.

https://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20160311-how-many-people-can-our-planet-really-support

"It is not the number of people on the planet that is the issue &#8211; but the number of consumers and the scale and nature of their consumption," says David Satterthwaite, a senior fellow at the International Institute for Environment and Development in London. He quotes Gandhi: "The world has enough for everyone's need, but not enough for everyone's greed."

I feel that's the real issue, not how many, but the want & greed of us all.. The need for our chilli cheese burgers which lead to the rain forest being mowed down. our need for Maki sushi, so we strip-fish the oceans.. our need for a new car every 3 years.. our insatiable appetite for everything!

https://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20160311-how-many-people-can-our-planet-really-support

"It is not the number of people on the planet that is the issue &#8211; but the number of consumers and the scale and nature of their consumption," says David Satterthwaite, a senior fellow at the International Institute for Environment and Development in London. He quotes Gandhi: "The world has enough for everyone's need, but not enough for everyone's greed."

I feel that's the real issue, not how many, but the want & greed of us all.. The need for our chilli cheese burgers which lead to the rain forest being mowed down. our need for Maki sushi, so we strip-fish the oceans.. our need for a new car every 3 years.. our insatiable appetite for everything!

You still don't have an argument, and your feelings are irrelevant to the facts. Quoting fake news isn't helping your position, either.

Again, the inconvenient truth is, climates change, and humans have little to no impact on this, according to what we currently know historically and through geologic records and evidence.

It takes a special person for someone to denounce a subject or to think they truly understand a subject who's origin dates back even only half a millennium, much less eons and epochs.

20799868_10211884956891685_2595494287816798581_n.jpg

I don't claim to fully understand the very complex subject of climate science. But like most subjects, the best path to the truth is scientific methodology. So I accept the consensus opinion of the people best qualified to determine the causes of climate change, the actual climate scientists.

The following scientific organizations endorse the consensus position that "most of the global warming in recent decades can be attributed to human activities":

American Association for the Advancement of Science
American Astronomical Society
American Chemical Society
American Geophysical Union
American Institute of Physics
American Meteorological Society
American Physical Society
Australian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society
Australian Bureau of Meteorology and the CSIRO
British Antarctic Survey
Canadian Foundation for Climate and Atmospheric Sciences
Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society
Environmental Protection Agency
European Geosciences Union
European Physical Society
Federation of American Scientists
Federation of Australian Scientific and Technological Societies
Geological Society of America
Geological Society of London
International Union for Quaternary Research (INQUA)
International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics
National Center for Atmospheric Research
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
Royal Meteorological Society
Royal Society of the UK

Quoting fake news isn't helping your position, either.

Uh.. I'll take BBC's "fake news*" over anything the US spews out.. (Except for for a very select few, such as the Wall Street Journal, NPR, PBS...) And it was an editorial, an opinion piece, not factual news..

I added my opinion. If you don't like it, accept it as my opinion, don't just insist I'm wrong. That just make you arrogant.

(*I sooooooo friggin' hate that word / phrase "Fake News".. it's right up there with "Poo-poo-head" or "lite beer"..)

Back