Could this be a new BoRocks kit?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what my L2 ring fin was called... ;)

That's cool:cool: I guess great minds think alike!:D

Or for something really silly in the Der Red Max vain...no, not gonna say, it's the name of a design I have bouncing around in my little pea shell head..It's of a ring fin design as well, with some long sweeping curves for the support beams?fins?

Need to put it to paper then into RockSim...

That's cool:cool: I guess great minds think alike!:D

Or for something really silly in the Der Red Max vain...no, not gonna say, it's the name of a design I have bouncing around in my little pea shell head..It's of a ring fin design as well, with some long sweeping curves for the support beams?fins?

Need to put it to paper then into RockSim...

Hmmm...could it be Der Tubular Max....:D

My list

The Scythe
Unless you read the book Xenocide this won't make since but The Little Docter,( aka The Molecular Disrupter Device)
If you go for Four motors total you could call it The Four Horsemen.
Hostile
Bo the Impaller
Lucifer
Holecaust
Lord of the Pit
The Kentucky Colosaus
Legion
Sliver

I am not done I shall return.:D

My turn..

Gristmill - Grinds you up and spits you out.

Mr. Clean - Pirate - nothing left behind, anything lacking value goes into the matter fusion reactor...

Electron Torpedo - Suicide Ramming Vessel

Disaster Area - homage to Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - this is the stunt ship that is to be blown up by crashing into the sun and causing a solar flare.

My list
Unless you read the book Xenocide this won't make since but The Little Docter,( aka The Molecular Disrupter Device)

Well jeeze, if your gonna get into Orson Scott Card here, we could use such names as:
The Petra
The Bean
The Crazy Tom
The Hot Soup
The Speaker Of The Dead
The Bugger
The Piggie
The Achilles
**** drawing blanks here gonna have to think harder (it's been a few years since i finished the quartet)
Ohh we could do The Hegemon
The Demosthenes
The Locke
The Graff
The Xenocide
The Violette (that would really scare them captains. Sir the violette is gaining on us what should we do???????)
The Peter
Hmmmmmmmm...
Idk i'll probably think of more later, But i really like the name Crazy Tom and Vioette:p

I like the "Reaver"....that one is definately worth some thought. I also like The "Vengeance".
I was going to suggest Reaver as well, but a) I got beaten to the punch and b) I already had the honor of naming a BoRocks kit so I'll let someone else have a turn.
:cool:

BTW, YGPayPal...

I was going to suggest Reaver as well, but a) I got beaten to the punch and b) I already had the honor of naming a BoRocks kit so I'll let someone else have a turn.
:cool:

BTW, YGPayPal...

Got it Dave. I sent you a reply via email.

And...I have decided on "Reaver" as the new name. Thanks John T.! :D

Sweet. My RSO is going to :surprised: though!! Any thought on when us early adopters will ship? :)

Sweet. My RSO is going to :surprised: though!! Any thought on when us early adopters will ship? :)

Why is your RSO going to flip? It's not that crazy is it? :D

The Semroc nose cones (Main tube) are in route. The smaller nose cones (all 175) are coming from a different source and I believe are about a week or 10 days out.

Here is the progress report.

1. Design work and feasibility studies done.
2. Prototypes in 1x24/3x18/3x24 are built and all flights were successful. (that's a first!)
3. Parts sourcing and pricing is done and all parts have been ordered.
4. All in stock parts have been bagged and tagged.
5. Instructions have been written, proofed, and printed. (my 13 year old nephew built and flew the Reaver with no help :D)

Still to be done:
1. Pack all parts when they arrive.
2. Develop cover art.
3. Whatever else I have inevitably forgotten.
4. Bag, tag, sign, number, and ship.

I am thinking 4 weeks on the outside...maybe 2 weeks if everything goes as planned.

Bo

Oh, I never noticed that the ring was to be off centered. Does it spin in flight?

Oh, I never noticed that the ring was to be off centered. Does it spin in flight?

No spinning....I think alot of what your seeing is related to the angle of the pic.:D

Last night I threw a 29mm version of the Reaver together (up till 3!). This morning I threw a coat of primer on it and went to picking through the motor locker. The only 29mm I had handy was an F42-8. :surprised:

I said to myself...Self...you know somebody is gonna fly this thing on a big F.

Self replied..."Might as well be you ya nut case!"

Seeing as how I agreed with myself (I almost always do) I loaded her up and headed for the bean field.:D

I am proud to say that not only did she fly dead straight and halfway to heaven she did it with style! :cool:

I did not notice a single bit of roll on the way up (I will however admit to ducking just a bit as I lit her off due to the word "shread" that just kept flying through my head) so I could have missed a rotation or 2.:D

Due to the expected altitude of the flight (Exactly way the heck up there!) I took the standard 24" chute out and replaced it with an 18" with a large spill hole. I was a little leery of an overly fast descent (and it was too fast) but then I got to thinking...What the heck is gonna break? Their are no fins!:lol:

All in all it was a great flight and while I usually auction off most of my prototypes for charity I may have to keep this one...it could be my favorite kit to date.

Thanks for listening to my ramble....:D

Bo

Yeah yeah! :D

I had you yelling in one ear while Uncle Vanya was yelling in the other!:D I admit it...I succumbed to peer pressure! (and I am glad I did!!):D:D:D

Bo

No spinning....I think alot of what your seeing is related to the angle of the pic.:D

How is it due to the angle of the pic? I'm almost certain the the ring is off centered, and I even see small wooden strip along the top pod that causes the off centering.

How is it due to the angle of the pic? I'm almost certain the the ring is off centered, and I even see small wooden strip along the top pod that causes the off centering.

That is correct. I thought you were saying that it was waggled off to one side or something. :D

If you have a wider ring tail and off center it, it would introduce some cool spin action.:D But I wouldn't...that would ruin the awesome looks.

UPDATE:

I am working with a couple of folks trying to get some good Rocksim data. So far it looks bad...very bad. Most all of my test flights have been off of my 5 foot launch rod in dead calm conditions.

After hearing the initial Rocksim results I am inclined to think I have been very lucky. So having said all that and in the interests of safety I am going to double the length of the prototype to 36" (not counting the NC) and try to fly it from a 3 foot rod as I feel like that is what most folks have.

I will report the results later this evening. BTW....It looks much cooler at this length....I should have done this in the first place.:D

Bo

I think that is great. But I think,( I am probably completly wrong) I heard that Rocsim has problems with ring fins.

Thats cool Gerald..Yeah I hear, well saw actually, some postings here that Rocksim has problems with ring fin designs..I have a 4' launch rod, so the 18" rocket would probably perform fine off it..But the 36" one will look better ;)

Back