Could someone please identify this motor?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billdz

Reaction score
The label says it is a G80-7T single use motor, but that looks like a reload kit inside the package.

g80-7.jpg

Have you looked at the informational paper inside, it may provide more clues. But yes that is definitely not a SU motor, is there a spacer in that insulator along with the grains, if so it may be a RMS 24/120 reload.

Seeing the grain would help ID it. Looks like a hobbyline load. Is it a slot or centered core?

My guess of a 29/40-120 load is based on the red BP cap/container. The RMS I've gotten have all had vials

The way it's packed, I'm guessing F. The Gs I've had came with one grain in the liner, one bagged.

And its not a G138, no metal foily bag

lol we all replied at the same time, but at least we are all pointing in the same direction...good start. Looking at the size of the grains will help and those packages are easy to open and reseal.

uh- it says "single STAGE", not "single USE". I think there was a short period of time you could buy a G-80 reload. I dimly remember something like that-maybe when they were in Las Vegas before the fire and move? I'll ask Gary later tonite.

It actually does say "single use". Under the Hobby Town sticker/barcode.

I'd be careful with it. The packet looks to have been opened and closed back up. May not have all the right bits, also it appears to have 2 of the brown tubes used to hold the igniters so could have been mixed. You'll want to makes sure the o rings are all over the right size and nothing is missing. If it's wrong then you have a burn through or Cato.

Thanks for the replies. I bought some casings from the seller and 4 reloads were part of the deal, have not seen them yet, just the pics. I now see that the package has been opened and resealed, you can see the spot where the original staple was removed. I'll be really careful with it, if I use it at all.

You have either a re-packaged or wrong in the first place packaged reload. The instruction sheet is for E16-F40-G64 W's , I can see the thrust curves for those motors on your instruction sheet. If you move the load in the package you'll see the info for motors I listed.

You must have run that image though your FBI image enhancing software or you have a HAL9000, good eye! Either that or I am just getting old and going blind.

I have a few of those single grain G64's left yet with the older instructions, confirmed what I thought I seen on his directions. BTW if the grain is WL and it fills the whole liner up it is the G64. If less than that the F or E.

Guess I'll have to wait for it to arrive to know definitively what I bought. I hope it is a G64. But compare the 2 pics below, mine has 1 large tube and 2 small tubes. The current G64 kit has 1 large, 1 medium, and 1 small.

g64 reload.jpg

Attachments

• g80-7.jpg
    g80-7.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 13
Bill- some of the "tubes" you're seeing are probably sitting inside of each other. If you look in the end of the "G64" that you think you have, you'll see propellant grains on the inside. If they have a kind of greenish look to them, they are probably white lightning.

From the comments you're making, it sounds like you're not too familiar with AT reloads. Not sure where you're at, but there's probably a local club that could help you make sure you have the right pieces (and assembled in the right order!)

It almost looks like someone had a single reload left from a pack of three and stapled the top card from a single use motor onto it, perhaps without realizing. That would explain the two copperhead tubes.

Steve Shannon

It almost looks like someone had a single reload left from a pack of three and stapled the top card from a single use motor onto it, perhaps without realizing. That would explain the two copperhead tubes.

Steve Shannon

I've never seen 29mm. reloads sold in any way other than a single load. To end the mystery it would be nice if the OP would question the person he bought it from. Guess we'll never know otherwise. Once OP receives it if he can take a pic. of the propellant grain, should be easy enough to identify it.

I'll report back here as soon as they arrive. Seller agrees it is a reload, not a G80-7, but says he does not know what happened.

I've never seen 29mm. reloads sold in any way other than a single load. To end the mystery it would be nice if the OP would question the person he bought it from. Guess we'll never know otherwise. Once OP receives it if he can take a pic. of the propellant grain, should be easy enough to identify it.

I never realized that before. I think you're right.
Thanks!

Steve Shannon

Back