Cosmodrome Rocketry update

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cosmodrome

Trust me, It'll fly!
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
After almost a year and a half from design to building to testing, my laser cutter is up and running. What does this mean? 1) I'll be able to produce kits faster as I can now cut fins, rings and body tubes automatically. 2) Better quality. Since there is less (none) manual steps the rings will be a much more consistent fit, fins will be more accurate to the designed shape and body tubes will have a perfectly even cut to them (the laser cut is better than the manufacturer's cut!). 3) All tubes will now be slotted. This has been my most requested feature to add and now I can do it. All kits going forward will have fin slots pre-cut. I'm working on Nike Smoke and Aerobee Hi right now and should have them shipping by the begining of next week. After that I'll work on the BBII and BBVC. Once that's done I'll get new tubes for the Nike Apache and have that ready. Vostok will take some time (I'm starting that now too), I've got several parts to write programs for and I'll have to break down and build one (third one for me) just to make sure everything fits together. Picture is of newly slotted Aerobee Hi tubes. A video of the booster being cut can be found on Facebook.
IMG_20200701_162434.jpg

Nike Smoke and Aerobee Hi are ready and shipping again. Still have to edit the instructions for the new slotted tubes, but I hope everyone can figure it out and not cut more slots :). I'll start working on the BBII and BBVC this weekend.
Very good news!

More progress has been made. I've got all the tubes for the Black Brant VC ready to go on the laser. This is going to make it a much easier kit to assemble. Now I need to sit down and punch out the new instructions as the assembly has completely changed.

Attachments

• IMG_20200821_140036.jpg
    IMG_20200821_140036.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 64
Mike,
Glad to hear you are back in business.
How do we go around giving you money and buying kits from you?

I've poked around the web site, but couldn't find an ordering page.
I'm particularly interested in Nike Apache, Nike, and Aerobee Hi.

BTW, I had also dropped you a direct email...

TIA,
a

Nike Smoke is in stock at Apogee.

Thanks, I saw that.

I treat Apogee the same way as eBay - vendor of the last resort that comes along with unnecessary markups.
I would much rather send my $$$ to the guy who is doing the hard work of putting together the kits for us to enjoy, then someone else who just marks things up 30+%.
On the other hand, if the OEM supplier is offline, then I may very well go back to Apogee/eBay đź’°

Last edited:
Cosmodrome, Hi! Since Doc Zooch is currently out of Business and since You are working on a Vostok, is the ANY chance that You might be convinced to continue on and make a Soyuz of the same scale as the Vostok, please? Thank You in advance!

The last time (many years ago) I looked into the Soyuz it was not possible. Problem was that I couldn't get body tubes unless I paid $$$ for a custom mandrel. I'll re-visit this again soon, hopefully I can figure out a work around.

I've wanted that Lambda 4s for sooooo dang long. Website still says it's coming soon. Should I still hope, or is this honestly a dead dream? It is great to see you are still making kits! Congrats on your new laser cutter.

Andrew

The Lambda will certainly happen. Once I get the Vostok moved over to the laser cutter, that will be my next project.

Mike,
Couple of observations and questions:

1). Which kits are in stock and available for ordering ?
2). Is sending you a check, to the address listed on the web site, the only way of placing an order?

• Link to ALL instructions linked from <Updates page> produce a 404 error. (e.g.: https://www.cosmodromerocketry.com/Instructions/NikeSmoke/Instructions.pdf )
  • Your list of <Authorized Dealers> only has 3 establishments that still have live web sites (Apogee, Sirius, and Uncle Mike's), but none of those have any of your product in stock. Not a single model!
    • Back to question #2 - how does one help you get paid ?

1). Nike Smoke, Aerobee Hi, BBII and BBVC are in production.
Nike Apache is waiting for new Apache body tubes, I'm not sure when I'll get these, they are expensive and I don't get a lot of demand for this kit.
Vostok is being converted to the laser cutter right now. I'll update this when it gets closer to being done.

2) I do accept PayPal.

I have have a website update on my list of things todo for a while. I will have to bump this up the list. If you need any instructions now, please let me know and I'm send them to you. Thanks for pointing this out.

Right now Apogee is the only vendor currently carrying my kits. Once I get back into normalized production it's possible that others will start carrying them again.

I've been trying to catch up on things (life seems to always get in the way). I was looking at the T3C just the other day and was thinking about what I could do now that I have a laser cutter, 3D printer and vacuum former. Still trying to figure out the best was of adding fins...

The Lambda will certainly happen. Once I get the Vostok moved over to the laser cutter, that will be my next project.
Any update on the Vostok? I’d love to get one. Is there a mailing list for when it’s ready? Any idea of what the cost for a kit will be? I don’t suppose it’s the price that’s on your website, although I can dream.

I've been delayed in updating the Vostok, however, in the next week or so I should be able to get back to it. When I get close to get it ready I'll make an announcement , hear, on Facebook and on Twitter. Due to the increased price of body tubes, the price will be going up.

I've been delayed in updating the Vostok, however, in the next week or so I should be able to get back to it. When I get close to get it ready I'll make an announcement , hear, on Facebook and on Twitter. Due to the increased price of body tubes, the price will be going up.
Hello, any update on kit availability? I just purchased the last Nike Smoke from Apogee, and would like to get the Black Brandt II and Nike-Apache. Thanks!

I'm working on some more Nike Smoke, BBII, BBVC and Aerobee Hi right now. Still working on Vostok upgrades. Not sure about the future of Nike Apache, the price of the Apache body tube has gone through the roof and this has always been my slowest seller. If I bring it back it will be after Vostok is in full production.

I'm working on some more Nike Smoke, BBII, BBVC and Aerobee Hi right now. Still working on Vostok upgrades. Not sure about the future of Nike Apache, the price of the Apache body tube has gone through the roof and this has always been my slowest seller. If I bring it back it will be after Vostok is in full production.
Thanks! I have the Nike Smoke and Aerobee Hi, so the BBII mainly would like to get.

Mike: One of these days I promise I will build that Vostok I bought from you 20+ years ago. It may not be until after I retire but that's not so very far off any more!

The Nike Apache is a beautiful kit. After several perfect flights on a G64, I thought I'd try a little more power and threw an I200 in her! Flew straight as an arrow, but so high that even after a full delay it ended up high in a tree. Fortunately the tree got knocked over some months later during a tropical storm, so I was able to retrieve (most) of it. Will definitely buy another if available!

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, Mike. I need to build that Vostok too. :rolleyes:

Back