Cosmodrome Nike Apache

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonypv

And so it begins...
Reaction score
I've had this built for a while and just got it painted. I did make a few small modifications.
Knowing that the balsa nose cone is susceptible to damage I decided to try to make it less vulnerable.
I noticed that the Estes BT-55 conical plastic NC (don't know the part number) was the same shape, all though the base is larger in diameter. I cut the Estes NC at about 3/4s of the way from the tip. Them cut the kit NC and fit the plastic NC over the balsa until it matched, then glued it on.
On the Apache the instructions have you sand the forward centering ring to form the transition about the fins, I made a paper transition instead.
Lastly I used Kaplow clips instead of the threaded rod for motor retention so it could stand on it's own.

Nike Apache build 1 sm.jpg

Nike Apache build 2 sm.jpg

Nike Apache build 3 sm.jpg

Nike Apache build 4 sm.jpg

While building I made a Rocksim file, trying to be as accurate as possible. The kit comes with a large lead slug (3 1/2 oz.) for nose weight that is to be glued just behind the NC. After reviewing the Rocksim file I decided not to use the lead slug. Instead I drilled out the base of the balsa NC and glued 1 oz. of BBs in the NC using Gorilla Glue.

The hardest part, most work, was sanding the Nike plywood fins to shape.

Nike Apache build 5 sm.jpg

Nike Apache build 6 sm.jpg

Yours always look great. This one is no exception.

Beautiful job, Tony.

Will you be bringing it to Amesbury on the 24th?

Back