Cosmodrome Black Brant VC

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cosmodrome

Trust me, It'll fly!
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday I was able to launch the maiden flight of my newest prototype, the Black Brant VC.

2.63" Body Tube
48" tall
29mm MMT

First pic is an overall shot of the rocket, second is a close up of the fins, third is of the payload section and control vanes. I've been thinking about kitting this for a long time but there was always something else cooking. Then one night I though that it would be fun not only to make it scale in appearence, but scale in flight. The real BBVC has the Saab-Scania S19 canards that guide the rocket for the first few seconds and then de-couple in flight and just swing freely as to not degrade the stability. While I don't have any active guidence, the canards do rotate freely as seen in the forth pic.

The flight proved that the canard mount is strong enough. Although I don't know how much the canards moved during the flight (that will have to wait until I can get some on board video). The flight was a complete success even though the 7 second delay was more like 0.7 seconds. It zippered just a little but was a good test of my anti-zipper recovery harness. The early ejection was also a great test of the canard mount. It probably also helped keep the rocket in the field.

I'm going to start to order parts and get a few kits out for beta test and hopefully release the kit by the end of the year.

dcp_5933.jpg

dcp_5934.jpg

dcp_5935.jpg

dcp_5936.jpg

Last edited:
Did you say you need beta testers, yes I will thanx for asking;):D

By the way, I am finishing my Cosmodrome BBII, which I converted to 38mm, glassed the fins and has flown successfully on a Skidmark, but am having a heck of a time masking for the roll pattern. any pointers?

Did you say you need beta testers, yes I will thanx for asking;):D

By the way, I am finishing my Cosmodrome BBII, which I converted to 38mm, glassed the fins and has flown successfully on a Skidmark, but am having a heck of a time masking for the roll pattern. any pointers?

OK, you're in.

Short of painting it bright orange and calling it a drone...

I started with all white. Use the painting parten as a wrap around guide. Using a 0.5mm mechanical pencil, draw the partern on the white, go light, just enough to see it. Mask off the areas to stay white with masking tape. Place the masking tape just to the side of the pencil marks so that they are painted over with the black. Take your time here. Hit it with the black and let dry (2 days or more). Carefully lift the masking tape, done.

Ooooo... Beta testers you say? :D

Would give me something to do while I am waiting on one of them there Aerobee thingies you sell... ;)

So do I still get that beta test rocket... :confused2:?

Yes. I've run into some small issues, but nothing I can't solve in a short time. Once I finish up with the current batch of kits I'm working on I'll get moving on the last pieces. Not too much longer....

Yes. I've run into some small issues, but nothing I can't solve in a short time. Once I finish up with the current batch of kits I'm working on I'll get moving on the last pieces. Not too much longer....

Sweet!! :D:D:D

In the words of Larry The Cable Guy [well, sort of] that there is a good lookin' rocket, I don't care who ya are.....if you don't think thats a cool lookin' rocket you can just get out a'here allright?..:clap:

Alright, question for the group. I've finally got the nose cone perfected (I hope!). This will be my first kit that does not use balsa. It will be plastic. I've finally got the mold dialed in and the cones are coming out really nice, even better than the fiberglass/foam ones I showed off at NARCON. My question is: Would you rather have a natural white cone or a silver one that would not need painting. I'm not 100% sure about the silver, I'll have to get the coloring and give it a try.

plastic cone 1.jpg

plastic cone 2.jpg

I would prefer white. Silver's come in many different shades, tones and sheens and in painting the rest of the rocket, it may be a pain to get it all "aligned."

Alright, question for the group. I've finally got the nose cone perfected (I hope!). This will be my first kit that does not use balsa. It will be plastic. I've finally got the mold dialed in and the cones are coming out really nice, even better than the fiberglass/foam ones I showed off at NARCON. My question is: Would you rather have a natural white cone or a silver one that would not need painting. I'm not 100% sure about the silver, I'll have to get the coloring and give it a try.

I also prefer white. Getting a silver to match is hard and I imagine you would have people repainting the nose cone anyways.

By the way, I would like to put my name in for beta testing.

I also prefer white. Getting a silver to match is hard and I imagine you would have people repainting the nose cone anyways.

By the way, I would like to put my name in for beta testing.

Take a number...

White :D

Jeez, like I haven't filled that position before...

I would prefer silver if the dye doesn't really ramp up the cost or the difficulty of production. I made foam nose cones when I worked for Matt Steele and Dan Kafun at North Coast Rocketry. I guess my thoughts are that it there is a silver "base" that any paint chipping would look like weathering.
I love this rocket with its acute fins. Bought one from ARG at NARAM last year.
I DO want one of these. Will Beta if needed.

Chas

Would be the same cost, no extra effort to make, other than measuring out the dye.

If the cost is the same, then definitely make it silver!

Why? Because some folks may appreciate the lack of need to paint the nosecone.

Provided, of course, that the dye doesn't affect paint adhesion.

-Kevin

Would be the same cost, no extra effort to make, other than measuring out the dye.

If the cost is the same, then definitely make it silver!

Why? Because some folks may appreciate the lack of need to paint the nosecone.

Provided, of course, that the dye doesn't affect paint adhesion.

-Kevin

Ditto! :) Plus, someone mentioned adding a coat of paint on top and then when it chips makes good scale representation of aging. ;) Although I don't think the full scale ones were re-usable!:roll:

Heck ,at this point ,white or silver......I just want one !!

But I would prefer a white nosecone myself.

Paul

Heck ,at this point ,white or silver......I just want one !!

But I would prefer a white nosecone myself.

Paul

I'm going as fast as I can. These plastic nose cones turned out to be more work than I thought. Once I get the mold tweeked just a little more it will be nice. Almost there.

I prefer the white nose cone. I have silver paint for it. I am looking forward to beta testing the kit. Will you be at Amesbury on April 24th?

I prefer the white nose cone. I have silver paint for it. I am looking forward to beta testing the kit. Will you be at Amesbury on April 24th?

Looks like silver is not an option, the coloring is a power that is brushed onto the mold instead of a dye that is added to the resin. :mad:

Yes I will be at the Amesbury launch. Will fly the new nose cones for the first time :), may even have the new plastic nose cones for the Delta E boosters and the nozzle parts. :clap:

Back