cosmodrom rocketry

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bachsta

Reaction score
are the cosmodrome rockets any good? i mean are they good quality high performance durable etc.

Cosmodrome are scale kits with attention to detail.
I have the Vostok and it is quite a challenge with over 160 pieces.

Lets put it this way,
I paid $160 for the Vostok and I have never regretted the purchase.

k. the vostok looks interesting maybe ill get it in a couple years when i can certify to use one

If you are building solely with performance in mind, go with the PML Mini BBX. If you want a really beautiful scale model go with Cosmodrome. I have their Nike-Apache and think it is a magnificent kit, However, some of the steps are not for the faint of heart.

On the other hand. My first Apache turned out ugly as all get out, but screams on an F50.

A

Originally posted by bachsta
im talking cosmodrome bbII vs. pml black brant vb not mini bbx

Same thing. The PML kit requires less finesse to get a good looking rocket.

I've always wanted to try out a Cosmodrome kit. Does anyone have a link to a place I can buy one (or more :p) from?

Jason

Hokkyokusei and I got our Vostoks at the same time ... I don't know how he's doing with it but every time I open the bag of bits I run away and hide somewhere dark.

I did however complete the BB .. construction was straightforward (very comprehensive instructions) and it flies beautifully. My only reservation was the balsa nose cone. I glassed it with light cloth but the tip is prone to damage. If I did it again I would set a hardwood tip into the balsa.

I loaned mine to someone. He actually built the bleeding thing and he now owes me a replacement!

Originally posted by North Star
My only reservation was the balsa nose cone. I glassed it with light cloth but the tip is prone to damage. If I did it again I would set a hardwood tip into the balsa.
how would one set a hardwood tip int o the balsa?

Originally posted by bachsta
how would one set a hardwood tip int o the balsa?

It depends a bit on your workshop tools. The best way is to mount the nose cone in a pillar drill, truncate the cone (chop the tip off) and bore out the center to take a hard dowell of suitable diameter - 1/2inch or whatever. Glue it in place with dowell sticking out both ends and place then rear bit of dowell in the drill chuck to shape the tip to match the cone using sandpaper. It can be done with hand tools but you need a good eye and a steady hand.

If you have a lathe of any sort it's easier still.

Oops bad manners here - but I forgot to add that when cleaned off, the rear dowell makes a strong mounting point for the shock cord eye to screw into.

GO with PML, they are easy builds and they are a tad on the expensive side... I'd get either their BBVB or BBx, the BBX looks like one heck of a performer but the VB looks pretty cool in apperance.

I intend to pick up a Cosmo BBII for winter building. It looks like a nice challenge and quality work. Red Arrow hobbies has replacement nose & tail cones for that kit, about $25 for both. I believe they're fiberglass.
They're also working on an X-15, which I absolutely cannot wait to see!

Cosmodromes Nike Smoke is a great flyer, a little work to build though as are most of there stuff. But worth the extra effort.

Back