Corrupt video file from RunCam2?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckeye

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folks:

Following is a note I sent to RunCam support, but maybe somebody here has some insight. A model airplane/drone forum may be a good place to post, too. What is a good one for video issues?

Props to @BryRocket for his payload design that I essentially copied!

20190504_130643.jpg

I have a video file (.mov) recorded by the RunCam2 that appears corrupted in some way. The file size is over 4 GB and the length is stated exactly as 30 min. However, there is only exactly 30 sec of initial video, then nothing. The camera was mounted in a model rocket, and of note, it was 97 deg F inside the camera payload bay. The 30 sec of actual video is just the rocket sitting on the pad. Launch was not recorded.

The phone app complains and will not play the video through the album feature. However, I was able to download the video to file and got the initial 30 sec of playback on a couple different Windows players. The camera recorded seemingly fine before and after this particular video, including a complete start-to-finish rocket launch.

Any idea what happened? Can the 4GB video file be recovered in any way? I am extremely disappointed in the RunCam2 performance and the failure to capture this video.

The "software" that you use to "play" the file can make a difference.

I use VLC to play all (most) of my video files. Sometimes a different player - such as 5KPlayer, KMPlayer or SMPlayer will be able to play an incomplete or corrupt file when VLC refuses.

Link for more info here

After seeing your setup - I ordered a lens extension cable for my RunCam2 - hoping I can Mcgiver a way to mount only the lens in a shroud outside the rocket.

Thank you, scsager! VLC did the trick and played my file! The picture quality looks better, too.

I was just using the default players on my computer. Clearly, they are all not equal. I learned something new today.

The "software" that you use to "play" the file can make a difference.

I use VLC to play all (most) of my video files. Sometimes a different player - such as 5KPlayer, KMPlayer or SMPlayer will be able to play an incomplete or corrupt file when VLC refuses.

Link for more info here

After seeing your setup - I ordered a lens extension cable for my RunCam2 - hoping I can Mcgiver a way to mount only the lens in a shroud outside the rocket.
I agree, certain players will"sometimes" work where others will not. One thing I've learned though Is it's fairly likely to only work once, so back it up immediately.

RunCams are very fussy on the type of microSD card they write to. Anything greater than 32GBs can be cause issues. Write speed specs are an issue as well. If memory serves me correctly it has something to do with the file system they use and the buffer onboard the camera.

I really like the setup and had planned on using a runcam 2 with the extension the same way you did! Do you recommend it? I was going to have the camera body mounted on the inside with the lense on the outside in an enclosure. Still working on logistics. How big of a hole did you have to cut, I was worried about having a huge permanent hole in the rocket.

I wouldn't advise anyone to set up for a specific camera/mount/format since they tend to become obsolete and much smaller so quickly these days. Try to keep mounts more flexible and you'll be much happier..

I really like the setup and had planned on using a runcam 2 with the extension the same way you did! Do you recommend it? I was going to have the camera body mounted on the inside with the lense on the outside in an enclosure. Still working on logistics. How big of a hole did you have to cut, I was worried about having a huge permanent hole in the rocket.

I only have 2 flights with this rig, so no firm conclusions. The extension cable is handy, but it is not very long in length. There is a huge hole in the rocket the same diameter as the lens, 5/8 in or so. On the back side of the board is my altimeter, so I have one hell of a vent hole! No ill effects, yet.

This rocket was built to carry this camera, and I spent much time laying out the ebay (66 mm) to get everything to fit. Again, I ripped off @BryRocket for this design. See his threads with RunCam2.

20190504_130529.jpg

Follow up on this. My editing software did not like this file, either. I had to go through a couple iterations of file saving from VLC and then converting through a freeware called Wondershare. Then, many hours of back-and-forth editing/creating in GoPro Studio and Dashware. Here is the final result. I now prefer the side view of the internal camera rather than the down view of external cameras.

Very cool. Side veiw, at least in my mind, works best at high (er) altitude flights..

Back