Corrugated Paper

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pem Tech

Notorious Member
Reaction score
Ok, it looks like I will have to break down and ask about this stuff. Somewhere in some thread, someone mentioned and showed a picture of a type of corrugated paper they found at HL or somewhere to use as body wraps. The folks at Michaels have no idea what I am asking for...
What is it, and where is it?
Can anyone help?

Probably at an art supply store, I also remember seeing a tool which corrugates paper

Yeah, I tried the local Art Stores but the problem is, I am not sure what to ask for. SOmeone posted a pic of the paper with a description but I am having no luck finding that post. The scrap-booking section was the closest I could find but it had nothing I could use.
:(

I think that this stuff is used in scrapbooking; you should look in that section in Michael's or in similar stores. I have not seen it there myself, but that is probably because I have about a million things that I want to look for when I make the trek to my "local" store, and I can never remember half of them once I get there. :rolleyes: Other people have reported getting it there, though. I don't know if you have Joanne's Fabrics in your area, but they also have a fair amount of scrapbooking supplies in their crafts section.

I have not checked there, but I wonder if any of the corrugations sold in the scenery aisle of the model railroading section of hobby shops would be flexible enough to wrap around a tube? And would they have any with the right number of corrugations? You might try checking there, too.

MarkII

I have bought that paper at a local Michael's. It was in the paper section with all the various samples. I recall having to visit several Michael's before finding it and that it was labeled "corrugated" on the front of the rack.

I don't know what size corrugations you are looking for but you could try a teachers supply store. The only one I know of is Bradburn's but I think that is a St Louis thing only. You could also try Oriental Trading Company online they sell lots of party decoration stuff. I know Apogee had plastic corrugated wraps at one time. My wife and I do some scrapbooking but I don't recall seeing corrugated paper, but the folks at Michael's Hobby Lobby etc might respond better if you say textured paper. You could PM DR Zooch and ask what he uses in the shuttle kit, that's pretty nice stuff, especially if this is for something that is for production.

I posted some pics over at YORF of some different corrugated cardstock varieties found at craft stores. Was this the post you were thinking of?

Michaels might be dropping the two varieties of cardstock that I referenced, which may explain the difficulty you're having finding it.
I was at a Michaels last week and picked of a several sheets of each. I wasn't there specifically looking for corrguated cardstock, but noticed they had it on clearance for 17 cents a sheet. I couldn't pass it up since they normally go for 79 and 99. They only had a couple oddball colors left by the time I got to it- rust and hunter green. Color didn't matter to me since they'll likely get painted anyway.

tmorley built a scratch Saturn V using some specialty paper from Michaels.

The Paper Company
Corduroy 12x12 White

Attachment: photo by tmorley 10/17/2007

Source message thread: Saturn V - BT-80 Based - The Rocketry Forum Archive

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Mike

Exactly the post I was looking for!
:cheers:

Thanks for the links everyone.
I'll probably give most of the suggested papers a shot, to find the one that works best for our needs and I'll keep you guys posted on how each works out.

And yes, they will be for new kit releases in the near future.....
:headbang:

[Snip] Michaels might be dropping the two varieties of cardstock that I referenced, which may explain the difficulty you're having finding it.
I was at a Michaels last week and picked of a several sheets of each. I wasn't there specifically looking for corrguated cardstock, but noticed they had it on clearance for 17 cents a sheet. I couldn't pass it up since they normally go for 79 and 99. They only had a couple oddball colors left by the time I got to it- rust and hunter green. Color didn't matter to me since they'll likely get painted anyway.

Same clearance prices and small stock at my local Michael's Store.

I bought some of that stuff from a scrapbooking store in northern Indiana last year. VERY nice stuff! If Michael's isn't carrying it anymore, check online with scrapbooking vendors-- I'm sure SOMEONE will have it.

My SIL gave me her old 'corrugating' machine from her scrapbooking stuff... it's like two gears about 9 inches long that mesh and corrugate the cardstock as you crank it through by folding it between the gear teeth. Only problem is the corrugations are almost the size of those found inside cardboard box-- WAY too big for rocket corrugations unless it's huge, in which case you'd use something else anyway to get them square edged... I've been thinking about making a chingaderra to "roll my own" by meshing to pieces of all-thread rod together, using all-thread with the proper thread count/pitch corresponding to the desired corrugation spacing, and meshing the two rods together with the tips of the threads on one rod meshing into the troughs of the threads on the other rod... for small rod it would require some kind of 'backing rods' to support them in the middle and prevent them from 'bowing apart'. Sorta like this:

0 0
--------------- sheet of paper
0 0

VVVVVVVVVV
------------- sheet of paper
VVVVVVVVVV

It would put the 'corrugations' lengthwise on the paper and at a slight angle corresponding to the thread pitch, but you could cut the corrugations out square once you were done. I suppose one could make a similar machine that would make the corrugations square by getting a bunch of R/C car/truck gears and meshing them together on a pair of shafts, using small gear teeth to get the correct corrugation size, similar to the scrapbooking paper corrugator.

I've also heard of folks using a paper 'scriber' to make the corrugations individually, but that takes FOREVER and requires VERY careful work to keep them evenly spaced and parallel, and if you goof up you've probably ruined the wrap.

Apogee Components sells 'generic' wraps vacu-formed in thin white plastic... I've bought some for my 1/100 Ares I and they look pretty good. They were like $7 or so for the set for two sets on a sheet-- one 'close spaced' fine corrugations and one 'coarse set'

Hope that helps! OL JR :)

I have been working on a clone of the 1/100th Saturn 1B and have been looking at materials to make the wraps.

I found some corrugated plastic stock @ Tower Hobbies

Their Plastruct Corrugated Siding Pattern (2) 1/400 HO is pretty close to the "big corrugation" wraps on the S-IV (checking against my Centuri Saturn V)--Tower lists it as 1/400 HO, but the Plastruct package lists it as 1/100 HO. The corrugations run along the long length of the sheet (11" x 7"), so I will have to splice it to wrap around the BT. It is a little stiffer than the vacu-formed wraps Centuri/Estes made.

I bought another Plastruct Corrugated Siding (2) HO which has a finer pitch -- Plastruct labels it as 1/200 N scale--I plan to use it for the fin shroud corrugation. Again, it will require a splice to fit the 2.7" dia tube.

The link to Plastruct is https://www.plastruct.com/

edit: their online catalog is https://www.plastruct.com/Pages/OnlineCatalog.lasso -- I searched on "corrugated siding" and came up with 8 hits--the full size pictures they show are pretty much dead-on.

Last edited:
Good information in this thread. I have been wondering where I could find material that would simulate 36 stringers spaced evenly around a 2.04" diameter tube (i. e., 6.40885" long). None of the online suppliers that have been mentioned indicate how many corrugations per inch their products have, so I may have to just "buy and try."

MarkII

I posted some pics over at YORF of some different corrugated cardstock varieties found at craft stores. Was this the post you were thinking of?

Michaels might be dropping the two varieties of cardstock that I referenced, which may explain the difficulty you're having finding it.

I actually got my corr. paper based on foose's information. I was having an issue with mylar melting and foose found the paper and told me where to get it. Thanks again!

If you go to Michaels, there is usually an aisle with bins that hold 8 1/2" x 11" sheets of paper. The bins are stacked several high and there will be a bunch of these bins, almost a whole aisle, with many colors and textures of paper for sale by the sheet. In these bins you will find the corrugated sheets. At least at my local Michaels that is where it is. Hope this helps.

Rick Randol

I got mine at the Dollar Store.

I'm serious cheap. :D

I used it in my fantasy scale "Pharos I" rocket:

pharos.jpg

pharos-naked.jpg

More info here:

https://rocketry.newcenturycomputers.net/pharos.html

Very nice model, I never though to look at the dollar store! :confused2:

Thanks, both of you. It's a slow bird off the rod, which makes it a real crowd-pleaser. Mostly Semroc parts, other than the dollar store corrugation and some 110# paper for the body tube reliefs. Uses the Taurus fin set.

Back