correct ratio for adding milled fibre to epoxy?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't need much. The milled fiber will provide a matrix to strengthen the fillet. Really typically want a lighter additive like fumed silica for sanding.

I agree, you just want a pinch, otherwise you end up with something like the worst furball your cat ever hacked up. Carbon pulp or chopped fiberglass AIDS strength, but makes it harder to get a smooth fillet. If you want something that adds strength and finished off nicely silica, like West Systems, works well. I just learned about the 406 from a post by John Coker the other day here on TRF. I always used 404, I think.

[emoji1010] Steve Shannon [emoji1010]

On the package (can't remember the brand offhand) of my milled fiberglass it says to add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon per ounce of epoxy. I tend to go for the higher end. I actually think that the fiber improves the consistency of the epoxy somewhat. Warming your fillets with a heat gun or hair drier will give them a nice glassy finish and speed cure time.

Or be a rebel and go to a higher amount of fiber, smooth it the best you can, and then use an epoxy based filler for sanding/finishing.

I add a small amount of chopped CF. If I need it thicker, I add something else to the CF epoxy mixture.

I agree, you just want a pinch, otherwise you end up with something like the worst furball your cat ever hacked up. Carbon pulp or chopped fiberglass AIDS strength, but makes it harder to get a smooth fillet. If you want something that adds strength and finished off nicely silica, like West Systems, works well. I just learned about the 406 from a post by John Coker the other day here on TRF. I always used 404, I think.

[emoji1010] Steve Shannon [emoji1010]

Just to clarify I believe the OP is talking about milled fiberglass (typically pieces of 1/32" or less). Fiberglass 1/4" to 1/2" doesn't ball up. Only issue with matting is carbon fiber strands (even those as short as 1/8" are a problem). The milled fiberglass will increase the viscosity a little bit--only a minor issue and often desired.

Hi peeps
Please can someone tell me the correct ratio for adding milled fibre to epoxy (for fillets) ?
Thanks
... Kev

If it is milled fiberglass, I just add until it is the viscosity I want. I often add a tablespoon or more to the usual West/Aeropoxy pump system volume. If it is fiber you are cutting yourself, that makes for some pretty lumpy epoxy.

Dale

Enough, but not too much. Too much and the epoxy will kick on you and set up before you can even finish stirring.

I aim for a heavy 1/2 tsp per ounce of epoxy, on the rare occasions I use it. I used it once for fillets, and had a helluva time sanding them. Now I use SuperFil for fillets (and nosecones). Really nice stuff.

I've used milled fibers for many things over the years...a little goes a long way, don't make too big of a batch for no reason, weight your mix ratio out and add it at 8-15% by weight for added strength, or 15-25% by weight for fillets or the like. I found that using the 20%-45% range is better used with slow set high quality epoxy like Aeromarine 300/21 and some heat here and there, rather than the 10-30 min kwik epoxies. I typically weight in ounce.... or gram if needed for small batch.
Weigh part A write it down and zero out the scale, Slowly weigh part B to required ratio (2:1, 1:1 etc.) Do your math, write down total and add to that number.

Use a digital scale you can find at the smoke shop, they actually have quite the selection.

Rarely do I not add it to my epoxy, the only time I don't use it is if I am laminating a tube or using rocketpoxy.

Last edited:
Back