Coronavirus: What questions do you have?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our hospitals are pretty full and Covid cases have spiked again over the past week to 10 days. Are these cases still mostly Delta?

You are on the Northern side so this is no surprise. Hopefully, it is short-lived.

I knew I had heard Omicron somewhere in the world of entertainment. Omicron is a Transformer. He’s a Decepticon who I think turns into a fighter jet.

except my scale, anymore omnicrons?
So it looks like Omicron seems to be comparably infectious to Delta. Is there any data on how the various vaccines and/or previous infection hold up against it? [edit to add] And honestly, I'm not that concerned about being able to catch a case of the new virus. I'm more worried about whether fully vaccinated people/fully recovered people get sick and die.

(sorry to be a downer)

So it looks like Omicron seems to be comparably infectious to Delta. Is there any data on how the various vaccines hold up against it?

(sorry to be a downer)
Moderna, Pfizer JJ expect to have some data in a couple weeks. Moderna is investigating a number of options like a larger booster dose of the original vaccine, and a variant-specific booster.
https://www.businessinsider.com/omi...derna-for-new-coronavirus-variant-2021-11?ampCases of Omicron already detected in UK.

So it looks like Omicron seems to be comparably infectious to Delta. Is there any data on how the various vaccines and/or previous infection hold up against it? [edit to add] And honestly, I'm not that concerned about being able to catch a case of the new virus. I'm more worried about whether fully vaccinated people/fully recovered people get sick and die.

(sorry to be a downer)

Not a lot of data is available. We will have it soon. We need to run some computer models first.

To people with the know: How are your local hospitals? Full? How much covid?

We have next to zero cases of COVID but we are relatively full if non-COVID cases.

Our local hospitals are full with a mix of patients. Covid numbers were quite low a few weeks ago, but are a lot higher now.

Guys, thanks. That is similar to what is being reported to me from my contacts in most northern states. Only 3-5 states are clearly green, most or red or near red.

Omicron symptoms mild so far, says South African doctor who spotted it:
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-59450988
Covid: UK is 'panicking unnecessarily' says doctor who discovered Omicron variant:

Per South African Dr's, Omicron has different and milder symptoms:
  • Omicron is spreading rapidly among young people. Most patients from which the following symptoms are observed were men. Half of them vaccinated.
  • No or slight cough means: shedding will be limited to talking, laughing, etc. It will also mean that patients might not realize that they might be shedding. However, absence of cough itself is going to reduce shedding and spreading.
  • No anosmia and loss of the sense of taste is interesting. It means that the swelling of the olfactory epithelium is not occurring (at least in the patients she saw so far.) This also means that possible neurological effects and possible long-haul may be less frequent.
  • Omicron's (B.1.1.529) Symptoms are not like delta (B.1.617.2), instead these are similar to beta (B.1.351 - South African variant). No loss of sense of smell or taste. No cough or slight cough. Just scratchy throat. However, severe muscle aches and tiredness. "

Just maybe, there is no need to panic?
:rabbitdontknow:

Omicron symptoms mild so far, says South African doctor who spotted it:
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-59450988
Covid: UK is 'panicking unnecessarily' says doctor who discovered Omicron variant:

Per South African Dr's, Omicron has different and milder symptoms:
  • Omicron is spreading rapidly among young people. Most patients from which the following symptoms are observed were men. Half of them vaccinated.
  • No or slight cough means: shedding will be limited to talking, laughing, etc. It will also mean that patients might not realize that they might be shedding. However, absence of cough itself is going to reduce shedding and spreading.
  • No anosmia and loss of the sense of taste is interesting. It means that the swelling of the olfactory epithelium is not occurring (at least in the patients she saw so far.) This also means that possible neurological effects and possible long-haul may be less frequent.
  • Omicron's (B.1.1.529) Symptoms are not like delta (B.1.617.2), instead these are similar to beta (B.1.351 - South African variant). No loss of sense of smell or taste. No cough or slight cough. Just scratchy throat. However, severe muscle aches and tiredness. "

Just maybe, there is no need to panic?
:rabbitdontknow:

That is hopeful. With any luck that early optimism will hold up.

I would not Trust the reports that the Omnicron Variant is less deadly or milder at this time. It is far too early to make that determination. We will be able to make that decision in the coming days, but the early infections were in young people who tend to have a milder infection than the older or more disease burdened. I am concerned that the public may read too much into this and we might be setting ourselves up for a larger spike.

Question for Chuck -

Situation - I took some time off last week and visited my kids and grandkids down in TX (1,000 miles from my present location). During "morning catch up conversations one of our Safety guys, also a volunteer Fire Chief, told me that he had an upper respiratory infection, the "cough / cold / no fever symptoms" kind (the kind that I get most every year), That was going around most of last week. I even had a little cough (the tickle your throat but no breathing problems kind) last week.

His daughter was sent home from school with the same symptoms Monday of last week. She couldn't return to school until she had a negative COVID test. She tested negative the same day that she was sent home. His wife had the same symptoms. Later in the week he was at a "fire meeting" (that's not what he called it btw) and for whatever reason (not saying it was a bad idea) he decided to get tested and he tested positive. His wife then tested and she tested positive. All three never had fever, never had severe symptoms, just an upper respiratory "thing".

Question - I think this is going to be hard to answer because I don't know what testing methodology was used. What is the probability, possibility may be the better word, that their positive tests were false positives? He's back at work. He's fine. Never had a fever.

If it prefers younger men, they should have called it the Cougar variant. :wos_love:
But it doesn't buy you a drink before infecting you.

The Doctor in South Africa that discovered this new variant has stated that so far the symptoms are nothing to be worried about and that nobody has died from it.
In the end it will be like the epsilon variant that was newsworthy for two days tops.

Question for Chuck -

Situation - I took some time off last week and visited my kids and grandkids down in TX (1,000 miles from my present location). During "morning catch up conversations one of our Safety guys, also a volunteer Fire Chief, told me that he had an upper respiratory infection, the "cough / cold / no fever symptoms" kind (the kind that I get most every year), That was going around most of last week. I even had a little cough (the tickle your throat but no breathing problems kind) last week.

His daughter was sent home from school with the same symptoms Monday of last week. She couldn't return to school until she had a negative COVID test. She tested negative the same day that she was sent home. His wife had the same symptoms. Later in the week he was at a "fire meeting" (that's not what he called it btw) and for whatever reason (not saying it was a bad idea) he decided to get tested and he tested positive. His wife then tested and she tested positive. All three never had fever, never had severe symptoms, just an upper respiratory "thing".

Question - I think this is going to be hard to answer because I don't know what testing methodology was used. What is the probability, possibility may be the better word, that their positive tests were false positives? He's back at work. He's fine. Never had a fever.

A false positive is less than 2 percent in most labs. A false negative is 15-30 percent. When one would you believe?

The thing that creates a lot of false negatives is swabbing technique.

Trick question 😁

I'd just like something (not politicians, I gave up on that a long time ago) to make sense.

medicine is never that simple. It is an art to look at the test and it’s strengths and weaknesses along with the patient presentation to decide what the test tells you. We have had patients that were negative and their symptoms were dead on. Repeat testing was positive. You have to use your gut and training to tell you which results is more likely sometimes.

But it doesn't buy you a drink before infecting you.

The Doctor in South Africa that discovered this new variant has stated that so far the symptoms are nothing to be worried about and that nobody has died from it.
In the end it will be like the epsilon variant that was newsworthy for two days tops.
00F304DC-2141-40F9-9259-04EF6B61685F.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back