Coronavirus: What questions do you have?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am making an appointment to get seen. I am having trouble losing weight and I am dog tired since catching COVID. I am just not recovering as I did before. It could be that I am just getting old.
Hope you can figure out what is going on. Could be long Covid aggravated by stress, etc?

Immunity; better with vaccine, or better immunity from having had the virus? Or are they pretty much equal?

Immunity; better with vaccine, or better immunity from having had the virus? Or are they pretty much equal?
The last time someone answered that question here the answer was that the immunity acquired from a previous infection was slightly better than the immunity acquired from being vaccinated, but much more risky to acquire. It was also stated that a combination of prior infection and vaccination is better than either one separately.

I thought that Chuck's previous responses indicated that the vaccine provided stronger/longer immunity than infection, but I wouldn't swear to that.

That’s how I remember it too.

Natural infections provide some immunity, but it’s variable between individuals, not as reliable against variants, and it wanes more quickly.

Vaccinations produce a strong immune response that is more consistent between individuals, more reliable against variants, and lass longer.

And a person who has been previously infected and then gets vaccinated has “super immunity”.

It’s a legitimate question, but I always wonder what the purpose in asking is. It usually seems like the purpose is to justify not getting vaccinated.

To me, it doesn’t make sense.

If a person has not been previously infected, then counting on gaining natural immunity when they eventually become infected is not a great idea. Catching a virus is a bad way to avoid catching the virus.

If a person has been previously infected, counting on their natural immunity to protect them going forward might make sense up to a point. But that immunity wanes. What are they going to do in 6 months or a year? Get a booster infection? Then we are back to the idea that catching a virus is a bad way to avoid catching the virus.

On another note, they think my wife may come home from the hospital some time tomorrow but likely will be on supplemental oxygen. Fingers crossed. Baby steps in the right direction is still positive.

Still not home. Still saying "maybe tomorrow."

And today I get to take my dog to the vet to be put down because they diagnosed him with advanced bone cancer. (sigh) It's not been a great week/month.

I asked this before but it got missed, I think.

Chuck, have you heard any news about the progress of Moderna's application for approval of their vaccine booster? Last I heard they had left out critical data that rendered an FDA evaluation impossible and were asked to resubmit it, or something. Have you heard anything else?

Chuck, have you heard any news about the progress of Moderna's application for approval of their vaccine booster? Last I heard they had left out critical data that rendered an FDA evaluation impossible and were asked to resubmit it, or something. Have you heard anything else?

Yes. The FDA is reviewing the data. It really nto a matter of if but when. They need to decide when the shock should be administered. My guess is 8-10 months.

As for J&J, there will be a second shot but for the same reason, the FDA need to help determine when.

And today I get to take my dog to the vet to be put down because they diagnosed him with advanced bone cancer. (sigh) It's not been a great week/month.

I am praying for her recovery and return home.

I'm so sorry to hear that. Hoping you find comfort and that your wife is released soon.

Tell me if you think this is a likely scenario.

People will continue getting vaccinated, meanwhile some people will continue to refuse vaccination.
Those that don't get vaccinated will eventually contract Covid19 whereby they will either live, thereby gaining "Natural immunity" or they will die.
Those who receive the vaccine will eventually contract Covid19 by means of a "Breakthrough" infection but they will stand a better chance of not dying and will also gain "Natural immunity" along with whatever additional immunity they gain from any booster shots they receive.

Eventually we will reach a point where virtually everybody will have contracted Covid19 with various symptoms and severity ranging from sniffles and a headache to death.

At this point Covid19 becomes just another annoying virus much like the flu.
People will get their yearly Covid19 shot, some people will still contract the virus with various symptoms and severity ranging from sniffles and a headache to death, just like the flu.

Last edited:

I read an article that says the FDA advisory panel meets this Thursday to consider the Moderna and J&J boosters. Then the FDA will consider the recommendations of the advisors and make a decision perhaps a week later. Interesting that Moderna is recommending that the booster be a half dose of their regular vaccine. Their studies indicate it will be effective and may reduce side effects.
Hope your wife gets better soon!

Tell me if you think this is a likely scenario.

People will continue getting vaccinated, meanwhile some people will continue to refuse vaccination.
Those that don't get vaccinated will eventually contract Covid19 whereby they will either live, thereby gaining "Natural immunity" or they will die.
Those who receive the vaccine will eventually contract Covid19 by means of a "Breakthrough" infection but they will stand a better chance of not dying and will also gain "Natural immunity" along with whatever additional immunity they gain from any booster shots they receive.

Eventually we will reach a point where virtually everybody will have contracted Covid19 with various symptoms and severity ranging from sniffles and a headache to death.

At this point Covid19 becomes just another annoying virus much like the flu.
People will get their yearly Covid19 shot, some people will still contract the virus with various symptoms and severity ranging from sniffles and a headache to death just like the flu.

I think you have it basically right, except for accounting for future Covid variants that might not be controlled by the current vaccines. Fingers crossed that future Covid mutations end up less contagious and less deadly.

I have to say I am glad that I have had the virus in a survivable way last year and that I have had the two Moderna shots this year. A number of reports suggest that this gives the best protection. Will be getting the Modena booster the moment it is available and that I am eligible and will get periodic Covid vaccinations as suggested in the future, just as I do with flu vaccines.

The data from Israel showed previous infection was better than 2 shots of Pfizer at preventing reinfection/breakthrough. It was a large retrospective analysis, but some other studies showed the opposite result.

I thought that Chuck's previous responses indicated that the vaccine provided stronger/longer immunity than infection, but I wouldn't swear to that.

That is sort of what I said. Natural immunity to COVID is more variable than the vaccine and indications are that may be stronger and longer (especially Moderna). Vaccination will definitely have fewer long-term side effects for the population as a whole.

I just got a piece of inside info. It appears the data may indicate that boosters are not need for Moderna yes. The FDA will decide by Friday.
IIRC didn't the FDA advisors come to the same recommendation regarding the Pfizer booster (i.e. booster shot not needed at this time).
And the FDA overruled them?
Do you see the same scenario happening with Moderna?
If not what do you think will be the public's reaction to Pfizer recipients getting booster shots while Moderna recipients do not?
Wouldn't that really add a lot of confusion to the pot?

IIRC didn't the FDA advisors come to the same recommendation regarding the Pfizer booster (i.e. booster shot not needed at this time).
And the FDA overruled them?
Do you see the same scenario happening with Moderna?
If not what do you think will be the public's reaction to Pfizer recipients getting booster shots while Moderna recipients do not?
Wouldn't that really add a lot of confusion to the pot?

It could and it would

Patti is now home, the oxygen guy has her all set up, and she's resting with her back massager where she will likely be living in the recliner.

Her doctor guessed that she could be on oxygen for six months to a year as her lungs recover. And prior to this illness we were walking our dogs two or three miles every night, riding bikes, kayaking, etc. Patti said that, at one point, she was "one step" from being on a ventilator. This was definitely a near miss.

Now, she is exhausted by brushing her teeth or going to the bathroom so she won't be going beyond the living room for a while.

Our hope is that her recovery is faster than the hospital doctor guessed, but I will obviously be working from home for a while to care for her

Thanks to all of you who sent messages of support, or lifted us up in your thoughts and prayers.

I will say this again, you do NOT want to get this thing. Get the vaccine, wear a mask, keep your distance, and stay the heck out of crowded places of any kind (even if they require vaccinations).

Patti is now home, the oxygen guy has her all set up, and she's resting with her back massager where she will likely be living in the recliner.

Her doctor guessed that she could be on oxygen for six months to a year as her lungs recover. And prior to this illness we were walking our dogs two or three miles every night, riding bikes, kayaking, etc. Patti said that, at one point, she was "one step" from being on a ventilator. This was definitely a near miss.

Now, she is exhausted by brushing her teeth or going to the bathroom so she won't be going beyond the living room for a while.

Our hope is that her recovery is faster than the hospital doctor guessed, but I will obviously be working from home for a while to care for her

Thanks to all of you who sent messages of support, or lifted us up in your thoughts and prayers.

I will say this again, you do NOT want to get this thing. Get the vaccine, wear a mask, keep your distance, and stay the heck out of crowded places of any kind (even if they require vaccinations).
I'm glad Patti is home and hoping for a far speedier recovery than the docs expect.

I’m happy for you both. I pray for a speedy recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back