Coronavirus: What questions do you have?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chuck, I think his point was that there isn't any documented harm, so why NOT allow the booster.?

I think I can agree with that. I do think they should be offered to healthcare workers first. As far as the general public, I have no issue, but I do think they need to show some benefit before offering it.

I am not sure there is any true documented harm. Do you have a source for this?
Chuck, I think his point was that there isn't any documented harm, so why NOT allow the booster.?
Correct. I reviewed progress on Israel a week or two ago, they were at 2.8M people having their Pfizer booster, on top of about 6M having the pair of regular vax shots, and all things I found indicated no major increase in side effects etc.

Data is clear in Israel that protection increases with booster.

I'm a 54 year old who qualifies a overweight or obese (definition pisses me off), so in about 3 weeks it will be six months past my second Pfizer shot and at that time I guess I could get a booster.

However I'm not sure I will, yet. Would like to see more trial data, I guess. And I know as of 6 weeks ago I had a good circulating antibody titer.

Just put me down as wanting to do more evaluation into it in the time I have before I become eligible.

I'm not highly concerned of ill effects, but I really didn't like how the decision came down.

I know there's supposed to be a question and I apologize for not following that. I see a lot of "the data says". I follow a number of different news feeds and information sources. If you want me to qualify them, they are left and right leaning mixed with articles by medical professionals. About 50/50 either way. I started doing that when I realized someone had "dropped some feces in the pool". You have to intentionally look for it. Like it or not, your search history takes you where you want to go.

Disagreement is generally squashed on this topic, which is a good thing, it serves no purpose. I'm not disagreeing, these is just an observations. Like it or not the information pool should be suspect at some level. Person A can find a document, from a medical professional, that supports their view. So can Person B, C, D... People will go with what they want to believe or how they are aligned. I took myself out of alignment years ago. These are difficult times...

For the pandemic, I chose my path and it's worked for me, my family, and the people I work with. We are about 2 years into this "thing" and other than a 2 week round of pretty bad upper respiratory problems in Dec 2019, pre-testing, I've not been sick (no doctor was involved). I typically don't get sick, not even the flu, and I count that as a blessing. At 63, I know that will change one day, sooner than I like to think.

For those on the front lines (Chuck) this must be mind numbingly difficult to deal with.

Correct. I reviewed progress on Israel a week or two ago, they were at 2.8M people having their Pfizer booster, on top of about 6M having the pair of regular vax shots, and all things I found indicated no major increase in side effects etc.

Data is clear in Israel that protection increases with booster.

I'm a 54 year old who qualifies a overweight or obese (definition pisses me off), so in about 3 weeks it will be six months past my second Pfizer shot and at that time I guess I could get a booster.

However I'm not sure I will, yet. Would like to see more trial data, I guess. And I know as of 6 weeks ago I had a good circulating antibody titer.

Just put me down as wanting to do more evaluation into it in the time I have before I become eligible.

I'm not highly concerned of ill effects, but I really didn't like how the decision came down.

Just so you know, that is only with Pfizer. If we are talking the same study, The study showed an 11.3% reduction in infection but not a great deal of difference in deaths or hospitalizations.

I know there's supposed to be a question and I apologize for not following that. I see a lot of "the data says". I follow a number of different news feeds and information sources. If you want me to qualify them, they are left and right leaning mixed with articles by medical professionals. About 50/50 either way. I started doing that when I realized someone had "dropped some feces in the pool". You have to intentionally look for it. Like it or not, your search history takes you where you want to go.

Disagreement is generally squashed on this topic, which is a good thing, it serves no purpose. I'm not disagreeing, these is just an observations. Like it or not the information pool should be suspect at some level. Person A can find a document, from a medical professional, that supports their view. So can Person B, C, D... People will go with what they want to believe or how they are aligned. I took myself out of alignment years ago. These are difficult times...

For the pandemic, I chose my path and it's worked for me, my family, and the people I work with. We are about 2 years into this "thing" and other than a 2 week round of pretty bad upper respiratory problems in Dec 2019, pre-testing, I've not been sick (no doctor was involved). I typically don't get sick, not even the flu, and I count that as a blessing. At 63, I know that will change one day, sooner than I like to think.

For those on the front lines (Chuck) this must be mind numbingly difficult to deal with.

The difficult part to deal with is all of the news commentary, facebook, twitter, and youtube experts that spouting things like the vaccine is ineffective and the mask does not work. We are fighting a difficult battle. We need help curbing the pandemic and not non-expert experts.

I am going to make a prediction: Unless there is a more deadly variant, I think the rest of the way, we are going to see much small spikes with almost only the unvaccinated being killed or intubated. As we move forward, the total number of vaccinated admiited with COVID will rise because the majority of folks are now immunized. It is not that the vaccine is not working, but rather that the numebr vaccinated outnumber unvaccinated at this time. If you look at absenteeism do to illness, hopitalization, and death due to covid as a percentage of the total population vaccinated vs unvaccinated, the percent is much lower in vaccinated group.

The difficult part to deal with is all of the news commentary, facebook, twitter, and youtube experts that spouting things like the vaccine is ineffective and the mask does not work. We are fighting a difficult battle. We need help curbing the pandemic and not non-expert experts.

I am going to make a prediction: Unless there is a more deadly variant, I think the rest of the way, we are going to see much small spikes with almost only the unvaccinated being killed or intubated. As we move forward, the total number of vaccinated admitted with COVID will rise because the majority of folks are now immunized. It is not that the vaccine is not working, but rather that the numebr vaccinated outnumber unvaccinated at this time. If you look at absenteeism do to illness, hospitalization, and death due to covid as a percentage of the total population vaccinated vs unvaccinated, the percent is much lower in vaccinated group.
First paragraph - agreed. None of those things have helped the front line people. It has to be exhausting and exasperating.

You're on the front lines and I get that you see it at a level I don't. I'm just not seeing a difference in our local workforce. 200+ people, mostly people that work outside in small (1-4) groups (80%). Small sample, not useful, just what I've seen. Most people are 40 and under but not all. The virus has directly impacted about 20 people plus their families so around 10% directly, unknown indirectly. The Navajo Nation was hit very hard. We lost one (the only one) guy last week (big hit for our small group). Covid hit him hard. 61, he'd been a welder for most of his life and I suspect the condition of his lungs wasn't the best, he was out for 3 months, carried O2 with him. He was vaccinated but I don't know when (as in before or after he contracted covid). He was scheduled for heart surgery last week and didn't make it out.

What I am seeing is that if you're at risk for other reasons (let's call it ill health), it does not go well for you if you catch that thing. Then there's this - Two guys on my team caught it from their spouse, had mild symptoms, one was at work when his wife called him, 6 of us had to isolate and test at the end of the isolation period due to contact tracing. No transmission occurred based on the isolation and testing. The two that got sick were out the same time as those of us that were contact traced. We all returned to work at the same time. I attribute that to social distancing and the general good health of all involved. I've hyper-distanced for the duration. I didn't go in stores, period. Too many people were getting way too close to one another. I still avoid stores and we aren't dealing with big numbers here. I've avoided all of the trigger words on purpose. I still contend that the flow of information that the general public has access to is corrupted, and yes, FB and YT are the super spreaders of bad info.

First paragraph - agreed. None of those things have helped the front line people. It has to be exhausting and exasperating.

You're on the front lines and I get that you see it at a level I don't. I'm just not seeing a difference in our local workforce. 200+ people, mostly people that work outside in small (1-4) groups (80%). Small sample, not useful, just what I've seen. Most people are 40 and under but not all. The virus has directly impacted about 20 people plus their families so around 10% directly, unknown indirectly. The Navajo Nation was hit very hard. We lost one (the only one) guy last week (big hit for our small group). Covid hit him hard. 61, he'd been a welder for most of his life and I suspect the condition of his lungs wasn't the best, he was out for 3 months, carried O2 with him. He was vaccinated but I don't know when (as in before or after he contracted covid). He was scheduled for heart surgery last week and didn't make it out.

What I am seeing is that if you're at risk for other reasons (let's call it ill health), it does not go well for you if you catch that thing. Then there's this - Two guys on my team caught it from their spouse, had mild symptoms, one was at work when his wife called him, 6 of us had to isolate and test at the end of the isolation period due to contact tracing. No transmission occurred based on the isolation and testing. The two that got sick were out at the same time as those of us that were contact traced. We all returned to work at the same time. I attribute that to social distancing and the general good health of all involved. I've hyper-distanced for the duration. I didn't go in stores, period. Too many people were getting way too close to one another. I still avoid stores and we aren't dealing with big numbers here. I've avoided all of the trigger words on purpose. I still contend that the flow of information that the general public has access to is corrupted, and yes, FB and YT are the super spreaders of bad info.

Sorry for your coworker or friend. I am with you on the social distancing. I shook hands for the first time in nearly 18 months. It felt wrong.

There are deaths in the vaccinated group, but without the vaccine, masking, and distancing, we would have had many times the number we have had.

I do think we are nearing the end of the spike and we can reduce or prevent future ones.

I had sniffles on Friday afternoon and Saturday but I was fine by Sunday morning. My wife started feeling the same, and worse, on Saturday and, because she had a full schedule that would put her in contact with quite a few people this week, out of an abundance of caution, had a COVID test on Sunday. This morning they called and she tested positive. So, I've cancelled all my plans, appointments and meeting for today until I can get in and get tested. Urgent care is so busy that they can't get me in until after six o'clock this evening (maybe). We're both vaccinated and she's already had the (third) booster but she is also immune suppressed. Fingers crossed and prayers ascending.

I had sniffles on Friday afternoon and Saturday but I was fine by Sunday morning. My wife started feeling the same, and worse, on Saturday and, because she had a full schedule that would put her in contact with quite a few people this week, out of an abundance of caution, had a COVID test on Sunday. This morning they called and she tested positive. So, I've cancelled all my plans, appointments and meeting for today until I can get in and get tested. Urgent care is so busy that they can't get me in until after six o'clock this evening (maybe). We're both vaccinated and she's already had the (third) booster but she is also immune suppressed. Fingers crossed and prayers ascending.
Praying for you right now.

Prayers sent and positive thoughts maintained.

Is the delta spike over?

As much as I would like to say yes, we still have a high infection and positivity rate. Also, the death rate is still increasing or high in most of the country. We are close but we are not there yet.

Will there be more spikes? Possibly.

Will this be an endemic infection? Most experts say yes.

Today I ran over the data from the last two weeks - 48% breakthrough rate. That means 48% of our infected patients are immunized. They good news is this is a low numbers and blip in the data. The state is still at 8%. Also, hospitalized and deaths still sway heaving toward unvaccinated so I will still get the jab.

I think are going to see more of this as vaccinated outnumber unvaccinated.

What's the status on a booster for the Johnson & Johnson vaccine?

J&J kind of shot themselves in the foot. They suggested a second shot but said there was indications that immunity persisted. No plans at this time.

I have 2 questions.

Should I get a Moderna booster, having had the J&J shot ? It has been 7mos , and, from what Ive been reading, I dont see a future w/ a J&J booster.
Also, is a booster different than the initial shot ?

Im alittle confused. Cases and Positivity spikes in FL, GA, MS, AL, etc are rocketing down. But less than 2% more people, before the spike, have been vaccinated.
Whats the reason behind this ? I use this for the data.. Covid ActNow

I have 2 questions.

Should I get a Moderna booster, having had the J&J shot ? It has been 7mos , and, from what Ive been reading, I dont see a future w/ a J&J booster.
Also, is a booster different than the initial shot ?

Im alittle confused. Cases and Positivity spikes in FL, GA, MS, AL, etc are rocketing down. But less than 2% more people, before the spike, have been vaccinated.
Whats the reason behind this ? I use this for the data.. Covid ActNow

I’ll let Chuck answer your questions. I have a comment on the data you linked to. It looks to me like the spike started around mid-July. At that point about 44% had one dose, and about 38% were fully vaccinated. Now it’s about 55% and 45%. So the vaccination rate has gone up somewhere between 11% for one shot and 7% for fully vaccinated since before the spike. So that’s good news, and it’s better than 2%, but it could definitely be higher.

When you asked “what is the reason behind this?” Did you mean what is the reason for the low vaccination rate? Or what is the reason cases are dropping? I think the reason cases are dropping probably has a little bit to do with more vaccination and a lot to do with viral surges just naturally burn out at a point, like they did with previous surges. The virus moves through the networks of vulnerable people who have contact with each other until it runs out of members in that community or some other factor slows it down. Those people get better (or not), and the virus mostly does not reinfect them. So the surge fades. Maybe it takes off again later if it gets into a new network of vulnerable people or some factor changes to make people vulnerable again, like maybe the weather changes or people’s behavior changes.

OK, here's a question. If you have had two doses of the vaccine, are you in more risk of infection from an unvaccinated person, or a vaccinated person?

OK, here's a question. If you have had two doses of the vaccine, are you in more risk of infection from an unvaccinated person, or a vaccinated person?
Whether you’ve been vaccinated or not, coming in contact with unvaccinated people is a greater risk than coming in contact with vaccinated people simply because unvaccinated people are
1. More likely to be infected,
2. More likely to stay infected longer, and
3. More likely to be contagious.

Interesting question. I still think, not supported by research yet, that you are more likely to infected by the unvaccinated but this is increasingly becoming less true. As the number of vaccinated increases so will the likelyhood of a vaccinated infecting you. Right now, with the dalta variant, the viral load is so high, the virus is playing a numbers game on our immune system. Future variants may be more resitant to the vaccine by function and numbers.

The good news is that we saw a large drop over 2 weeks and we may be out out of this spike. The bad news is that it slowed this week and might plateau at about 1200-1500 per day in GA. Local public health officials are starting get lots of question about going maskless in public and some schools are going back maskless. How stupid can you get,

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back