Coronavirus: What questions do you have?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We do not know. There may be some advantage to catching it after the vaccine.
As you said, not advocating anyone intentionally try it. But that might be good news for those unfortunate vaccination "break-through" cases, assuming they have only mild disease (or better yet, asymptomatic.)

Any data on the incidence of "long covid" in these two groups:

Vaccinated "break-through" cases? (doubt much data, as it hasn't been that long)

Vaccination post-Covid infection? (I.e., if you get Covid BEFORE you got vaccinated, does the vaccination do anything to reduce incidence of "long covid"?)

Vaccination post-Covid infection? (I.e., if you get Covid BEFORE you got vaccinated, does the vaccination do anything to reduce incidence of "long covid"?)

We think there is a reduction. Time will tell. There are quite a few cases of return of smell and taste within 30 days of vaccination.

I’m interested in this too. I’ve heard anecdotal stories about people with Long Haul covid having their symptoms clear up after vaccination. What would the mechanism be for that? If the immune response to an infection with the live virus can cause production of an antibody that interferes with the function of an enzyme, and that is what causes Long Haul symptoms, then how does the immune response to a vaccine change that?

I’m interested in this too. I’ve heard anecdotal stories about people with Long Haul covid having their symptoms clear up after vaccination. What would the mechanism be for that? If the immune response to an infection with the live virus can cause production of an antibody that interferes with the function of an enzyme, and that is what causes Long Haul symptoms, then how does the immune response to a vaccine change that?

I would think it is because your body has activated your immune response toward the notional virus (vaccine) and this is producing less or watering down the antibodies that cause the long haul. I will ask my virologist and immunologist.

How long will it be till we have a treatment that works for COVID?

A huge number of companies are working on them and if I could figure that out, I would be a rich man. We are looking for existing drugs because they would avoid the cost of producing a new drug. There will not be a quick release. The FDA process for approval is arduous.

Below is an example:
https://www.mdlinx.com/news/fda-app...s=9z2zjrilsgei45sfsfh2k1qq3c144sbgjb0bk122q08
This is a group of drugs that have shown a potential link to decreasing infections or replication in a lab. Many of these drugs are rather rough because they are cancer drugs so they must be vetted carefully. Do not go out and try to buy them. It is not worth the risk at this stage.

Now, they must be put in a double-blind placebo trial to determine if they might produce the same results in a living person (in vivo).

I strongly urge patients not to take these medications or any medication for COVID without the assistance of a medical professional. Self-treating might make you sicker or worse, kill you. Your doctor is best placed to advise on covid and how to manage your current condition.

As you said, not advocating anyone intentionally try it. But that might be good news for those unfortunate vaccination "break-through" cases, assuming they have only mild disease (or better yet, asymptomatic.)

I cannot emphasize this enough.

*PLEASE* do not try this intentionally.

This week a friend and colleague, not much older than me, died from a breakthrough COVID infection AFTER being sent home from the hospital. His pneumonia was on a good track and they thought it safe (enough) to send him home to recover (and since there were "14 people waiting for his hospital bed" - his words exactly). Sometime after his return home he had a cardiac event.

Even among the vaccinated, although we are safe-er, COVID can still kill you.

As I tell my church folk, PLEASE be careful. We don't want to lose any more friends.

I cannot emphasize this enough.

This week a friend and colleague, not much older than me, died from a breakthrough COVID infection AFTER being sent home from the hospital. His pneumonia was on a good track and they thought it safe (enough) to send him home to recover (and since there were "14 people waiting for his hospital bed" - his words exactly). Sometime after his return home he had a cardiac event.

As I tell my church folk, PLEASE be careful. We don't want to lose any more friends.
I'm so sorry for your loss. This tragedy is an important reminder that the vaccination is not some sort of invincible armor.

I'm so sorry for your loss. This tragedy is an important reminder that the vaccination is not some sort of invincible armor.
My son is ten, and not old enough to be vaccinated. So while my wife, my daughter and I are vaccinated, we can still get the disease and pass it to our son, who is not. So there are more considerations than just "I am vaccinated, so I am not worried about getting it."

So sorry for your loss. I appreciate your stressing this.

We lost a 48 year old that was pretty healthy and vaccinated. Even in those who are vaccinated, it is important to protect yourself. Bad outcomes are tied to higher viral loads and Delta has the highest reported to date.

I think there are three reactions going on with this disease. No one likes, everyone has been impacted by it. Everyone wishes it would go away. So people handle it like this:
  1. Ignore it and it'll go away. No shot, no mask, no precautions, go on with life and pretend that the elephant isn't in the room.
  2. Understanding that while there is no way to avoid it completely, do your best to do your part to help minimize the risk to yourself and others as much as you can.
  3. Become a recluse, stop participating in life.
Number two just seems like the obvious best choice, doesn't it?

I think there are three reactions going on with this disease. No one likes, everyone has been impacted by it. Everyone wishes it would go away. So people handle it like this:
  1. Ignore it and it'll go away. No shot, no mask, no precautions, go on with life and pretend that the elephant isn't in the room.
  2. Understanding that while there is no way to avoid it completely, do your best to do your part to help minimize the risk to yourself and others as much as you can.
  3. Become a recluse, stop participating in life.
Number two just seems like the obvious best choice, doesn't it?

Concur.

Had to look that one up. At first thought it might be a rocketry term.

we use, “DC IPD” (Discharge In Pine Box.)

I am sorry for the dark sense of humor. It comes with the job.

Understood. I worked at Balad during Fallujah campaign.

Wow, I was in Kirkuk and had to come to Bagdad to accompany a soldier to see a psychiatrist in Bagdad. That was the scariest flight I have ever been on.

Update: The last 3 days have been rough local medical staff. We are having a larger than expect deaths and many of them are young. Seeing a 20-30 something old pass due to a belief in natural immunity or the spoken word of news anchor of social media celebrity it truly tragic. Go get vaccinated!

Since 1 August, reported there have 13 deaths in the Army due to COVID and 4 were under 30. All unvaccinated.
Are you allowed to share numbers for other services? I was thinking Navy and Marine personnel are kind of like cruise ships, not in the luxury of their surroundings but in the same closed cramped crowded quarters with limited ventilation. Criminy, subs must be the scariest of all.

Are you allowed to share numbers for other services? I was thinking Navy and Marine personnel are kind of like cruise ships, not in the luxury of their surroundings but in the same closed cramped crowded quarters with limited ventilation. Criminy, subs must be the scariest of all.

Pure ignorance on my part, other than knowing a few friends who spent time under water 20-30 years ago, but if the protocol for getting on the sub is what they said, I imagine it might be the most COVID safe environment we have right now! Again, not first hand knowledge, but I would think that they have been dealing with how to avoid the flu or other issues long before COVID and if the current quarantine/testing regimen has been tweaked, those might be the best place to be. . .

Sandy.

That is right out of a news report from today from the Surgeon General. I just took the numbers out fo the report. You are right, I would never report data that I got form an office military source. That is right off another news source from today that vaccines would result in the end of any refusers career.

Last edited:
I was thinking Navy and Marine personnel are kind of like cruise ships, not in the luxury of their surroundings but in the same closed cramped crowded quarters with limited ventilation. Criminy, subs must be the scariest of all.

Some areas in the Army are similar.

I had a long discussion with a colleague over a soda and dinner. They are experiencing a larger number of infections in kids and pregnant women (4 in recent weeks that needed a vent). They had two break through deaths. Both were young. It a sad time we live.

I had a long discussion with a colleague over a soda and dinner. They are experiencing a larger number of infections in kids and pregnant women (4 in recent weeks that needed a vent). They had two break through deaths. Both were young. It a sad time we live.
Just saw today that 30% of all Covid cases in the US right now are kids. Too many schools/states not taking appropriate steps to protect kids going back to school. Too many people are not thinking about the children.

Just saw today that 30% of all Covid cases in the US right now are kids. Too many schools/states not taking appropriate steps to protect kids going back to school. Too many people are not thinking about the children.

Correct. I have heard parents say I am say they are worried about the ingredients of the vaccine and the long term side effects. I would be far more concerned about the virus causing long term side effects. Currently, you cannot get under 12 routinely immunized. The only way we have to protect our younger kids is to appropriately layer immunizing older children and adults, masking, and social distancing. Layering those three items are very effective at reducing infections.

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct. I have heard parents say I am say they are worried about the ingredients of the vaccine and the long term side effects. I would be far more concerned about the virus causing long term side effects. Currently, you cannot get under 12 routinely immunized. The only way we have to protect our younger kids is to appropriately layer immunizing older children and adults, masking, and social distancing. Layering those three items are very effective at reducing infections.
Long term viral effects are indeed an unknown potential concern.

we know that certain viruses increase risk of cancer years after primary infection, the most common of which are
papilloma virus (cervical cancer and head and neck squamous cell carcinoma), Epstein Barr virus/Mononucleosis (lymphoma and nasopharyngeal carcinoma), Hepatitis B and C (liver cancer), HIV (Kaposi sarcoma and other cancers), Herpes virus (Kaposi sarcoma), and HTLV-1 (leukemia).

so even if/when we get the ACTIVE infections under control (and we aren’t even close), we may only be at the top of the iceberg.

Long term viral effects are indeed an unknown potential concern.

we know that certain viruses increase risk of cancer years after primary infection, the most common of which are
papilloma virus (cervical cancer and head and neck squamous cell carcinoma), Epstein Barr virus/Mononucleosis (lymphoma and nasopharyngeal carcinoma), Hepatitis B and C (liver cancer), HIV (Kaposi sarcoma and other cancers), Herpes virus (Kaposi sarcoma), and HTLV-1 (leukemia).

so even if/when we get the ACTIVE infections under control (and we aren’t even close), we may only be at the top of the iceberg.

Yes. I have had a few your female patients concerns about fertility. The all say that “we don’t know the long term risks of immunization”. The risk of any side effect is treated with the virus than immunization. None of the ingredients in the vaccines have been tied to cancer. None have been tied to infertility. None of the compliments are novel and your body has been exposed to higher levels in life than are in the vaccine. Long term side effects from the vaccine are so unlikely. I cannot say the same for the virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back