Coronavirus: What questions do you have?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll save it for the "barberpole" worms the goats get around here...
I'll stick with the two doses of Moderna I got earlier this year.
😎
Concur. I am not into hoohoo weed. I like evidence-based treatments.

On YouTube, a physician said the vaccine will cause the virus to mutate. What is your view?

I queried my experts. Very early on a similar question was posed locally at a town hall. The vaccine itself does not cause mutations. Vaccination helps prevent mutations slowing the spread. Mutation are a natural part of the replication of viruses and if you stop the spread you reduce the mutations.

The variants that are currently most concern to scientists Include the UK's B.1.1.7 variants, South Africa's B.1.351 variants, Brazil's P.1 variants and India's B.1.617 variants. Some of these variants appear to be more infectious than the original Wuhan strain. Recent studies have found that antibody responses generated through natural infection to the original strain or via vaccination are less effective in neutralizing these variant strains.

According to the CDC, a growing body of evidence suggests that fully vaccinated people are less likely to have asymptomatic infection and potentially less likely to transmit SARS-CoV-2 to others. Stopping the spread of COVID means slowing mutations of the virus.

A local news article touted how we beating the virus w/ vaccinations. The lowest cases since Nov.

However, 05/25/2020, 7 day average was 46.3. One year later, 2021, its 45.9.
Most summer last year held steady at around 20-30 cases 7 day average.

How do we know the drop this year is attributed to vaccinations ? I say we wont, until Nov.

A local news article touted how we beating the virus w/ vaccinations. The lowest cases since Nov.

How do we know the drop this year is attributed to vaccinations ? I say we wont, until Nov.
As you say, time will tell the whole story but already we can determine the effectiveness of the vaccine by looking at case loads in unvaccinated versus vaccinated populations. If the vaxxed cohort is 10x, 100x, or 1000x less likely to produce a case (let's see the real world data), we will know the vaccine is contributing to the decline in cases. There is probably good data looking at this out there, but my doctor friends are anecdotally telling me that maybe one in 50 of the cases they see are in fully vaxxed people. Almost all the cases being recorded are in unvaxxed people.

Chuck, is there some authoritative real world data for this , beyond the vaccine maker clinical trial?

As you say, time will tell the whole story but already we can determine the effectiveness of the vaccine by looking at case loads in unvaccinated versus vaccinated populations.

Good point. So only data from hospitals may be able to verify.

But , case in point, awhile back 24 employees tested pos., because of one symptomatic (moron)person. Most of these people were 60s-70s. Most, that I know, had comorbities. Very obese, diabetes, heart conditions. One person 70yo w/ heart problems tested pos and never got sick. Some were out only a week. One, a month, she was in hospital for only 3 days. And only 1 person, hospitalized for 2 weeks and on O2 for 2 months, he 's coming to work on Mon.

According to Chuck, its my understanding, if all these people were vaccinated, its a good possibility the virus would not have spread.

I think the big difference is that we are seeing roughly the same numbers of COVID cases with far fewer social restrictions on bars, restaurants, theaters, workplaces, etc.

King County (where I live, >70% of people have gotten a first dose of a vaccine) might be a useful guide as well. In mid-March to mid-April, we had a significant uptick in cases as the county re-opened under state guidance. That peaked in late April, and is falling off quickly despite not having imposed any new restrictions. Vaccinations really hit their stride in late March, opened to everyone 16 or over in mid-April, and shots per day peaked at the end of April. Compare that to the Thanksgiving/Christmas peak which went far higher and only came down again after states imposed new restrictions.

For a "control," you can go over to Kootenai County, ID (~32% first dose). Their case numbers are staying pretty flat right now rather than dropping sharply. They might have a little bit of a downturn in cases, but it's hard to see in the noise.

I wish states and other reporters of cases/deaths would split it into vaxxed and nonvaxxed. So, for example ,yesterday there were 25,000 new cases in US of which 24,000 were among unvaxxed and of the 430 deaths 400 were among unvaxxed. (I made these up but directionally correct I think). If it gets spelled out clearly I think some hesitant folks would get on board.

Heres some hospitalization data for our county Pop. 628,000

Number of Adult ICU Beds Available (Moving Average Past 14 days)
05/31/2020 - 39.5
05/31/2021 - 53.4
Number of COVID-19 Patients Hospitalized (Moving Average Past 14 days)
05/31/2020 - 61.8
05/31/2021 - 33.6
Number of COVID-19 Patients on Ventilators (Moving Average Past 14 days)
05/31/2020 - 14.3
05/31/2021 - 3.1

Does this show vaccination or improved treatment ?

Heres some hospitalization data for our county Pop. 628,000

Number of Adult ICU Beds Available (Moving Average Past 14 days)
05/31/2020 - 39.5
05/31/2021 - 53.4
Number of COVID-19 Patients Hospitalized (Moving Average Past 14 days)
05/31/2020 - 61.8
05/31/2021 - 33.6
Number of COVID-19 Patients on Ventilators (Moving Average Past 14 days)
05/31/2020 - 14.3
05/31/2021 - 3.1

Does this show vaccination or improved treatment ?

Due to immunization and prior infections mostlikely.

What do you think about the question of this coming from a leak from a BSL3 or BSL4 Virology lab?

I have avoided this question because I do not to be labeled a conspriracy theorists. I think it is plausible and I do not think it matters. Are you goind to be abale to sue and collect from China? No. Does it matter? Absolutely, but not for the reason you might suspect.

If it escaped due to a wet market from people buying exotic meats shch as bat, I would strongly suggest we clean up wet markets and improve safety in all BSL laboratories because a future virus could come from either. And, if it was a lab leak, I would strongly suggest we clean up wet markets and improve safety in BSL labs because youse guessed it.....It could come from either. I think you get the idea. Both huge vulnerabilities that must be fixed, no matter which was the culprit in this case, because either could be the culprit next time. Our own arogance and politics is getting in the way of an opportunity to learn and fix a huge vulnerability.

We cannot bring back the dead, but we can learn from history and prevent it from happening again. I don‘t care which side of the argument your are on, we need to protect of chidlren and their children from the enxt pandemic by learning from this one.

@ Chuck - I have no useful arguments for anything that you wrote. The fact is, I'm tired of all of the discontent. It's a waste of valuable time. If I did have an argument I wouldn't voice it.

This:

"I don‘t care which side of the argument your are on, we need to protect of children and their children from the next pandemic by learning from this one."

🚀 was spot on...

I don't care who anyone votes for. I care about why, but even that is not any of my business. I can't tell you when the last time that I "pulled the lever" for someone that wasn't the lesser of two evils.

The only thing I would add is that it would be naive to think that China, or the US, or any other country, doesn't have people in power that would weaponize a virus. That is the worst of all of this. Not the "fact" but the possibility. I think it is likely but it's simply not possible to know those things as fact.

@ Chuck - I have no useful arguments for anything that you wrote. The fact is, I'm tired of all of the discontent. It's a waste of valuable time. If I did have an argument I wouldn't voice it.

This:

"I don‘t care which side of the argument your are on, we need to protect of children and their children from the next pandemic by learning from this one."

🚀 was spot on...

I don't care who anyone votes for. I care about why, but even that is not any of my business. I can't tell you when the last time that I "pulled the lever" for someone that wasn't the lesser of two evils.

The only thing I would add is that it would be naive to think that China, or the US, or any other country, doesn't have people in power that would weaponize a virus. That is the worst of all of this. Not the "fact" but the possibility. I think it is likely but it's simply not possible to know those things as fact.

I do not think the US would weaponize viruses. We have learned the errors of those ways and destroyed most if not all of them. I know we research how to combat them and prevent them from hindering readiness. I have taken multiple classes and even taught classes on Nuke, Bio, and Chemical weapons and how to protect yourself from them.

I do agree that is probably impossible to know now where COVID came from.

"I do not think the US would weaponize viruses. We have learned the errors of those ways and destroyed most if not all of them. I know we research how to combat them and prevent them from hindering readiness. I have taken multiple classes and even taught classes on Nuke, Bio, and Chemical weapons and how to protect yourself from them."

That honestly makes me feel better. I wish we could be so sure about the rest of the world...

Can you give a general prognosis for people who are put on a ventilator for COVID? My nephew is in that situation now. He has multiple comorbidities, so his prognosis is likely to be worse than the general public.

Boatgeek,

It depends on the facility. Currently, we have a 70% success rate if caught fairly early even with the ventilator. Some of this depends on age, comorbidities, and the treatment used. The SERPH 100 is a very good treatment and there are others.

Don't lose hope. We have better treatments today.

Boatgeek,

It depends on the facility. Currently, we have a 70% success rate if caught fairly early even with the ventilator. Some of this depends on age, comorbidities, and the treatment used. The SERPH 100 is a very good treatment and there are others.

Don't lose hope. We have better treatments today.
Thanks for the hopeful news. I believe it was caught fairly early (the family was ziplining a week ago) and he's relatively young. The comorbidities are the big wild card.

Thanks for the hopeful news. I believe it was caught fairly early (the family was ziplining a week ago) and he's relatively young. The comorbidities are the big wild card.

#1 modifiable risk is obesity. The largest risk is probably chronic lung disease such as cystic fibrosis or obstructive or restrictive lung diseases. Others should be only a small to moderate risk unless they lead to a severely immunocompromised state.

Youth is a good thing, but age is what you got and we can't do anything about it.

This study needs a full review but this is a positive study that indicates a narrow usage for HCQ and Azithro. It is promising but the key thing the HCQ and Azithro and other treatments need are more data and to be tested on the right patients. This study shows that if the drug is adjusted for weight, that HCQ and Azithro improved outcomes. I have long suspected that HCQ would be found to have an effect and that effect would be on admitted patients that need mechanical ventilation. I would only recommend HCQ in a narrow population at this time. This is why is needs to be individualized between the admitting clinician and the patient / family.

The bottom line is that is study is promising but there are better options. This might be the cheapest one.

We need to look at medications and other situations to prescribe each. COVID is literally a goldmine for old drugs.

#1 modifiable risk is obesity. The largest risk is probably chronic lung disease such as cystic fibrosis or obstructive or restrictive lung diseases. Others should be only a small to moderate risk unless they lead to a severely immunocompromised state.

Youth is a good thing, but age is what you got and we can't do anything about it.

Unfortunately, my nephew passed away today. He had many physical and developmental disabilities, and I'm guessing that was the deciding factor. His mother is currently in the hospital with COVID, though improving and maybe will be released this week. His sister, uncle, and cousin all caught it too and are recovering at home. I'm guessing that it was caught/spread at a family gathering since his sister's birthday was two weeks ago.

Get yer vaccines, folks!

Hi @cwbullet ,

On a social network I frequent, some "Q-types" are talking about how the 5000+ VAERS reports of deaths following vaccination are just the tip of the iceberg and how all of those cases are caused by the vaccine, and there are so many more unreported cases... yadda yadda yadda. There's no reasoning with them, but I try to post rational, informed information in rebuttal so that others won't be swayed by their delusions and conspiracy theories.

One link I've posted is this one from the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/safety/adverse-events.html
But are there other good links that perhaps dig into the VAERS data and show how it works and look at individual cases as a demonstrated proof that most VAERS deaths are not caused by the vaccine? I'm trying to put as much good information out there as possible. Any support or links you can provide would be most appreciated.

(and, readership, I'm happy to accept help from all quarters... Chuck's a busy guy!)

Was watching the golf tournament last week and the leader was told he tested positive and had to withdraw. This got me to thinking (dangerous)..
After being fully vaccinated and you come into contact with the virus. Can you spread the virus while being asymptomatic? It is inside you but your immune system is killing it. We could possibly have community members test positive forever. This would probably apply to all viruses.

After being fully vaccinated and you come into contact with the virus. Can you spread the virus while being asymptomatic?

You are less likely to spread, but it is important to be smart and protect others that have not or cannot be vaccinated. I documented cases of asymptomatic spread nearly daily.

Hi @cwbullet ,

On a social network I frequent, some "Q-types" are talking about how the 5000+ VAERS reports of deaths following vaccination are just the tip of the iceberg and how all of those cases are caused by the vaccine, and there are so many more unreported cases... yadda yadda yadda. There's no reasoning with them, but I try to post rational, informed information in rebuttal so that others won't be swayed by their delusions and conspiracy theories.

One link I've posted is this one from the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/safety/adverse-events.html
But are there other good links that perhaps dig into the VAERS data and show how it works and look at individual cases as a demonstrated proof that most VAERS deaths are not caused by the vaccine? I'm trying to put as much good information out there as possible. Any support or links you can provide would be most appreciated.

(and, readership, I'm happy to accept help from all quarters... Chuck's a busy guy!)

Deaths from the vaccine as much more likely to be over-reported as being caused by vaccination in VAERS. The COVID deaths numbers are fairly accurate. The vaccination deaths are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back